ARGH! Does anyone else have a macro problem?

Options
Even before I have eaten 75% of my calories (even less sometimes) I go over my carbs, fat or sodium.. or even sugar sometimes when I eat cereal for breakfast. Sometimes its cholesterol and fibre. Its part of the reason why I am always under my goal by 300 cal max.

It is so annoying! I am 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. Its never enough... Does anyone else have this problem? Its so frustrating.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about fibre. And to be honest, I don't get too het up about sugar. I guess the others, I'd be more bothered about. If you're struggling with fat, carbs and sodium, that maybe suggests too much processed food? I don't know, obviously, without seeing your diary, though.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I just dont understand how I am supposed to eat 1500 - 1600 calories a day without eating something calorie dense... I always go under 1000 if I dont.. Its so frustrating...
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    being over on fiber and protein is good.
    no reason for 25% of fat, you can eat 30%
    there are studies that show that there is no relation between cholesterol consumed and cholesterol levels
    30g of sugar means added sugar (the one you put to your tea, or you find in cereals, you can substract sugar from fruits, veggies and milk...)
    underrating 300 kcal per day in order not to go red on macros is not a great idea.
    you will not diet forever, so you need to learn to balance your diet. Just investigate a bit every macro and micro, because MFP norms are not always the best one (aka you can customize them to meet your needs)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I cut down on starch foods like potatoes, breads etc.

Fiber is not bad for you- it 'hides' the sugar in your system to not spike your insulin and 'scrubs' the pipes.
    Protein is good for rebuilding tissue after your workout
    Salt is necessary - I don't watch that like I used to because the more I work out and run the better my blood pressure has gotten (cardio fixes high blood pressure) Went from stage 2 Hypertension to well into the normal range on my blood pressure and I still go over on sodium almost every day.

If you need more calories, as I frequently do after my long run days - Nuts are a really good source. They are high in fats *but it is the 'good' kind* and high in calories and fiber. No carbs, sugar or sodium! A handful of almonds will get you another 200 calories without the extra junk!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just dont understand how I am supposed to eat 1500 - 1600 calories a day without eating something calorie dense... I always go under 1000 if I dont.. Its so frustrating...

I don't get it? What is wrong with eating something calorie dense? If you input all your data correctly and MFP allocates you 1500 cals and you eat all those cals, you will lose weight at more or less your predicted rate.

Macros are important for health but for pure weight loss calories are most important.

It is possible to hit cals and macros but as Meerkat70 points out, that often means dropping processed food and cooking most meals from scratch.

Best wishes.
  • CassieReannan
    Options

I don't get it? What is wrong with eating something calorie dense? If you input all your data correctly and MFP allocates you 1500 cals and you eat all those cals, you will lose weight at more or less your predicted rate.

Macros are important for health but for pure weight loss calories are most important.

It is possible to hit cals and macros but as Meerkat70 points out, that often means dropping processed food and cooking most meals from scratch.

Best wishes.

But everything I do eat has dense calories and carbs and fat. Its like I am going nowhere.. I am vegetarian and its hard to get protein, im trying to get protein powder but as a full time student the money side of things is very hard. I have 30 dollars until the end of next week and cant afford much. I try to eat lentil patties and stuff but again fats and carbs.. Try to eat eggs theres more fat than protein. Argh.............
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just try to eat high protein high vegi, and fruit. And if you want a carb it's OK, think of it as a lifestyle change, in real life sometimes we eat carbs. But there should be some meals without any bread, don't worry about the carbs in vegis. If you are counting your calories you will loose the weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Throw away the egg white and eat the yolks, that solves the protein problem.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. There's not a day that I haven't gone way over on something.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Throw away the egg white and eat the yolks, that solves the protein problem.

Other way round if you want less fat and more protein.

But since OP is a student and money is tight I'd say eat the lot. Whole eggs are an excellent source of protein and fat and unless you have an underlying cholesterol problem the current (UK) guidance is that you don't need to limit egg consumption.
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    High protein food that are not dense in calories include: Deli lunch meat, baked chicken, the laughing cow light speadable cheese wedges 35 calories, jerky 1 ounce 60 calories, lite cheese stick 60 calories. You can even get original fried chicken from KFC 1 leg 120cals, if you get the baked 80 calories. Taco Bell is great the fresco tacos are only 150 calories and if you get a regular meat soft taco 200 calories. Egg whites 17 calories each, they are a great source of protein and low calories. A can of tuna is great too. For carbs I love the wasa crisp and light crackers 3 crackers 60 calories.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options

But everything I do eat has dense calories and carbs and fat. Its like I am going nowhere.. I am vegetarian and its hard to get protein, im trying to get protein powder but as a full time student the money side of things is very hard. I have 30 dollars until the end of next week and cant afford much. I try to eat lentil patties and stuff but again fats and carbs.. Try to eat eggs theres more fat than protein. Argh.............

I understand how hard it can seem and the added pressure of being vegetarian and on a tight budget is not making it easier.

On the vegetarian issue I can't help (I was vegetarian for a number of years and this coincided with my biggest weight gain so I'm hardly a role model: I now eat meat, and quite a lot of it by some standards) so recommend you grab a few veggie friends and share tips/tricks.

But please, do not be afraid of eating calorie dense foods where these are basic natural whole foods (that is not to say your whole diet must consist of whole foods). Personally I find eating a lump of cheese at 150 cals keeps me fuller for longer than a whole packet of diet crackers with a similar calorie value.
  • CassieReannan
    Options

I understand how hard it can seem and the added pressure of being vegetarian and on a tight budget is not making it easier.

On the vegetarian issue I can't help (I was vegetarian for a number of years and this coincided with my biggest weight gain so I'm hardly a role model: I now eat meat, and quite a lot of it by some standards) so recommend you grab a few veggie friends and share tips/tricks.

But please, do not be afraid of eating calorie dense foods where these are basic natural whole foods (that is not to say your whole diet must consist of whole foods). Personally I find eating a lump of cheese at 150 cals keeps me fuller for longer than a whole packet of diet crackers with a similar calorie value.

Thanks.
    I'm not afraid to eat calorie dense foods, i just hate seeing how many carbs and fat is in it....
    Brown rice for one..
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    Eat clean food, Lean meat, fruits, veggies, brown rice, potatos.. whole grain bread. Stay away from all packaged and process foods.
  • CassieReannan
    Options
    Eat clean food, Lean meat, fruits, veggies, brown rice, potatos.. whole grain bread. Stay away from all packaged and process foods.

Thanks for the advice, its hard sometimes being a student and on the go though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Other way round if you want less fat and more protein

right way round if your hitting protein target and short on fat :-)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have a problem getting enough protein unless I make a protein shake. Also.. if you are getting your sugar from fruits/veggies, don't worry about it. Just be concerned with the added sugars in other things like "low fat" or "fat free" foods. They tend to add a TON of sugar to those to make them taste better. Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    High protein food that are not dense in calories include: Deli lunch meat, baked chicken, the laughing cow light speadable cheese wedges 35 calories, jerky 1 ounce 60 calories, lite cheese stick 60 calories. You can even get original fried chicken from KFC 1 leg 120cals, if you get the baked 80 calories. Taco Bell is great the fresco tacos are only 150 calories and if you get a regular meat soft taco 200 calories. Egg whites 17 calories each, they are a great source of protein and low calories. A can of tuna is great too. For carbs I love the wasa crisp and light crackers 3 crackers 60 calories.

She just said she's vegetarian. Plus that's a lot of processed junk. Brown rice and stir fry veggies with nuts is much cheaper and healthier. Every day is not going to be perfect but that's ok. Veggies and nuts are lower carb than bread, cereal or even fruit. Don't give up on fruit but just know it accounts for higher carbs. Fat is good as long as it's plant fat (which it probably is) like avocados, olive oil, almonds, etc. eating fat will not make you gain weight. Those are an easy ay to get your calories in without extra carbs. Whole grains will also help you reach your protein goal and even if they seem high-carb compared to other things, the extra fiber and nutrients will do wonders for your digestive system.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The holland and barrett soy based protein shake is the cheapest I've found, and it packs good protein, iron and calcium in for a lower calorie level than most of the whey based ones. The only downside - it really isn't very nice tasting! But I mix it with a tropical type fruit juice (use a hand blender) and it's pretty nice like that.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Okay - My question would be, what kind of diet are you wanting to be on? Are you focusing on calories, or fat, or carbs... What? The absolute truth is that your body needs fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you are burning is what makes you fat...

I had the same issues when I was first trying to figure out my macros... always over on fat and carbs. BUT - the standard macros that MFP gives you when you sign up isn't really on point. Most of the research I have done shows a 40/30/30 diet - 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs. BUT - this is a GUIDE - not the law. If you are focused on losing weight, then calories need to be what you are concerned about. Get to your goal of 1500 everyday, and if that means you go over on carbs or fat or whatever, then so be it. Just keep your healthy eating in mind. Try to eat as balanced as you can, and get to your calorie goal. The rest will fall into place.

If you are still confused - this thread really explains the stuff in detail... and has really helped me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Good Luck sweetie!!!