Food ingredients to avoid....

Options
Forgive me if this has already been done, maybe someone can point it out to me.

Is there a list of food ingredients that one should avoid for health?

Replies

• Jessimicab
    Jessimicab Posts: 21
    Options
    anything partially hydrogenated
    like... margarine - 99% same makeup as PLASTIC. use real butter.
    watch out for that partially hydrogenated. SILK has come out with a pretty good coffee creamer that I LOVE it's nice with a bit of a nutty flavor and is 1/2 the calories of regular creamo, and doesnt have any of the partially hydrogenated oil that the fake creamers have.

I would say, that if partially hydrogenated (any oil) is on the ingredients list... DONT eat it. it's usually in all bad foods.

hope that helps :D
  • visiologist
    Options
    I am confused.

I have heard it said before to avoid "margarine" because of hydrogenated (or partially h...) oils. I use Canola Harvest - no trans fats, no hydrogenated (partially or otherwise) anything. There are many, many alternatives like this on the market (Smart Balance, Benecol + many others). Are these "worse for you" than butter? Obviously, ANYTHING taken to excess can be unhealthy, but I'm talking about when used in moderation.

Mike
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    anything partially hydrogenated
    like... margarine - 99% same makeup as PLASTIC. use real butter.
    watch out for that partially hydrogenated. SILK has come out with a pretty good coffee creamer that I LOVE it's nice with a bit of a nutty flavor and is 1/2 the calories of regular creamo, and doesnt have any of the partially hydrogenated oil that the fake creamers have.

I would say, that if partially hydrogenated (any oil) is on the ingredients list... DONT eat it. it's usually in all bad foods.

hope that helps :D

Interesting... I did not know to look for "partially hydrogenated"

Some things I try to avoid are High Fructose Corn Syrup, Aspertame, and anything with a list of ingredients a mile long that I can't pronounce.
  • visiologist
    Options
    margarine - 99% same makeup as PLASTIC.

Did a little research. This claim has been widely debunked. To quote snopes: "Many disparate substances share similar chemical properties, but even the slightest variation in molecular structure can make a world of difference in the qualities of those substances." Margarine is as similar to plastic as butter is.

Mike
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    One of the members is posting 150 healthiest foods, one each day. Guess what today's is? Butter.

Here is the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/57689--7-the-150-healthiest-foods-on-earth