How to quit gym if on contract?

Options
I've been going to the gym for the last few months, but 3 weeks ago I found out that I'm preganant. I feel really sick and tired, and the last thing on my mind is going to the gym after I get back home from work. I also have a low blood pressure, which dropped even further in the last few weeks because of pregnancy, and I feel faint and dizzy if I do any form of exercise over 2mph walk. So it wouldnt be safe for me or my baby to go to the gym.
I'm a member of Bannatynes gym in UK, and they told me a need a doctors note saying that I "cannot utilise any of the gym's facilities", and they wouldnt listen to anything I've said. I won't see a doctor in my pregnancy as it's not a high risk preganacy, so there's no way I can get it. I've got a midwife's note, but that's not enough. I'm paying £63/month, which I could put to a better use with a baby on the way. My contract runs out in October.
Is there anything I can do to get out of it? Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I worked at Fitness USA. If I recall correctly, there is a clause in there to terminate/suspend contract with a legitimate doctors excuse. I'd call your facility and ask about that...

ETA: Guess I should've read the entire thing first (sorry busy morning)... Surely you can get a doctor to write a recommendation based on the faint/dizzy spells due to blood pressure.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I would try to get an appointment with a doctor - the low blood pressure (which I could use some of) should be enough to get the note. The last thing the doctor is going to want is a pregnant patient passing out at the gym. Congrats on the pregnancy!!!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I would try to get an appointment with a doctor - the low blood pressure (which I could use some of) should be enough to get the note. The last thing the doctor is going to want is a pregnant patient passing out at the gym. Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

This.

You may have to pay for the Dr's note, usually about £20. But well worth it.
    Congrats on the baby.:happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some gyms will suspend your membership for medical reasons. See if you can get a note from your doctor.
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    You should be able to get an appointment with your GP for whatever reason you want without problem.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
    I'm going to ring up my surgery and book an appointment. See what to doc says.
  • Justin_1972
    Justin_1972 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How ridiculous. I'd just stop going and let them try to tale me to court. You'd win anyways. And if you're on automatic withdrawal call your banks and have them put a stop on that deduction from the gym.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for the last few months, but 3 weeks ago I found out that I'm preganant. I feel really sick and tired, and the last thing on my mind is going to the gym after I get back home from work. I also have a low blood pressure, which dropped even further in the last few weeks because of pregnancy, and I feel faint and dizzy if I do any form of exercise over 2mph walk. So it wouldnt be safe for me or my baby to go to the gym.
    I'm a member of Bannatynes gym in UK, and they told me a need a doctors note saying that I "cannot utilise any of the gym's facilities", and they wouldnt listen to anything I've said. I won't see a doctor in my pregnancy as it's not a high risk preganacy, so there's no way I can get it. I've got a midwife's note, but that's not enough. I'm paying £63/month, which I could put to a better use with a baby on the way. My contract runs out in October.
    Is there anything I can do to get out of it? Has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks in advance.

Just that, tell them you're pregnant. They can't really argue with that or also tell them you're moving,
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    How ridiculous. I'd just stop going and let them try to tale me to court. You'd win anyways. And if you're on automatic withdrawal call your banks and have them put a stop on that deduction from the gym.
    Unfortunately, they would refer me to debt collectors, and that woul impact my credit report :(
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

Just that, tell them you're pregnant. They can't really argue with that or also tell them you're moving,
    I told them I pregnant, but all they said was that without doctors note I won't be able to cancel until October. They were so mean, I cried all the way home (although that's probably just me being overemotional) :cry:
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just get the GP to write you a letter. Maybe yours will charge, but you'll still save money.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

I told them I pregnant, but all they said was that without doctors note I won't be able to cancel until October. They were so mean, I cried all the way home (although that's probably just me being overemotional) :cry:

Being pregnant, in itself, is not a reason to cancel. If there are complications, then there is a reason. My cousin worked out all the way through her pregnancy. That's why they want the note.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

Being pregnant, in itself, is not a reason to cancel. If there are complications, then there is a reason. My cousin worked out all the way through her pregnancy. That's why they want the note.

Well, they want the note because they don't want to let her out of her contract.

Her doctor will give her the note if she asks, I'm pretty sure.

ETA: It sounds like I am arguing with you! I am not arguing with you! LOL
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I was able to cancel my gym contract (in the US) with a one month notice and paying a cancellation fee. It was more money than I wanted to spend, but less had I kept the contract. There was a cancellation policy written into the contract, though. I've always thought that was fairly standard, but maybe I'm wrong. But if you can get a doctor's note, that's probably both easier and cheaper, and less hassle to boot.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

Well, they want the note because they don't want to let her out of her contract.

Her doctor will give her the note if she asks, I'm pretty sure.

ETA: It sounds like I am arguing with you! I am not arguing with you! LOL

Oh, no. I understand. I think we're saying the same thing in a different way. The gym isn't going to let anyone out of a contract unless absolutely necessary. I was just pointing out that pregnancy alone is not a medical reason to get out of a contract with a gym because if you're otherwise healthy and there are no complications, you can still exercise. So a gym isn't going to allow every pregnant woman -- especially just on her say-so -- out of a contract. That's why you need the note.

Honestly, though, if you CAN exercise while pregnant, even light exercise, it's a good idea to do so. It will make labor and delivery easier and also you'll bounce back afterwards a lot faster.