no sleep = no weight loss?

Options
I've heard that not getting enough sleep can cause weight gain for a multitude of reasons. My daily calorie net goal is 1575 (based on working out my bmr and tdee), which I regularly meet. I exercise regularly (which I should think wouldn't really influence MORE weight loss, simply because it's already factored into my daily net goal). However, I have been stuck at 156-157 lbs for over 6 weeks now (I'm 5'6")! And my clothes fit the same as always. I have 7 month old twins and a 2 year old, though, and I'm lucky to get 6 hours of sleep at night. Last night, for example, I got 6 hours, but since my son is teething, I got 3 2-hr naps, so I ended up totalling 6 hours, but not 6 continuous ones (this is not the norm, but this has been happening more recently, thanks to those darn teeth).

My question is: am I not losing weight because of my lack of sleep? Am I destined to remain at a standstill until the twins consistently sleep through the night?? :sad: I'm assuming I haven't GAINED weight from the sleep deprivation simply because I do watch my calories....?

Replies

• cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options
    I know that from just what doctors have told me it is a big reason to not lose weight and can make you gain weight. I have severe sleep apnea!! I mean very severe and I have steadily gained weight for about 10 years now until I became my biggest at 290... yeah thats up there. What I found out is not getting enough sleep can in fact make you hungry even when you don't realize it, you don't get the rest your body needs obviously and that keeps you from losing weight. Im not sure exactly how it works but it does mess with your system. Some people only need 6 hours sleep but that is 6 uniterrupted deep sleep.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm wondering if maybe counting calories is my saving grace from gaining weight. At least I'm maintaining and not gaining, but I want to LOSE!:yawn:
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm wondering if maybe counting calories is my saving grace from gaining weight. At least I'm maintaining and not gaining, but I want to LOSE!:yawn:

HIIT
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options

HIIT

I'm starting level 3 of 30DS today, and have been jogging in addition to the dvd workout. Shouldn't that suffice?