Subway

Options
2»

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I lose weight going to subway quite a lot. Although I am hungrier when I do. It's less filling per calorie than my homemade lunches. That's really the only reason I've started bringing my own lunches more... I like eating. Today is free pizza day though... Can't resist that!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    LOTS of sodium - and the bread is devastating.

Once I started getting salads there it made a big difference.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Subway's bread, let alone the meat, is a sodium bomb. If sodium tends to make you retain water (it does me), then there is your answer. Subway has marketed itself as "healthy" and there are more low cal choices there than at other fast food joints, but health food it is not.
    And really, you're using the term "bread" loosely there.

Why do you say that? (Seriously, no sarcasm. Not the sodium part, the "bread" part. I see them baking it, so I'm just confused.)
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    You're not crazy. I eat Subway atleast 3 times a week (and have dropped 18LBS and my BF is down to 8.7%). It's right by my work and is quick and easy. I usually get a footlong ham on whole wheat bread. If I want a lean meal I do not get cheese (saves me 100 calories) and I always load it with veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, cuccumbers and green peppers). I usually put sub sauce or honey mustard or sub sauce on (If I want to save more calories I put no sauce on). With no cheese and no sauce a footlong is 640 calories (850 if I go all out), considering my daily intake is 2500 on a day I work out, I can easily fit it into my meal plan.

I should also mention that lunch is my biggest meal of the day as I need the energy for my after work workouts.

http://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator

Check out that link you can build a sandwhich and see the calories you are taking in. I think if you change your bread to whole wheat and take out the cheese you will save 100 calories and make the meal more manageable. Like other people said, you need to watch the meat you choose, avoid cured meats.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If I eat at subway, I lose weight. Their portions are consistent and there are many lower calorie filling options.

^This. Sometimes it's about finding the best choice you can. Subway is the only reasonably, non-greasy fast restaurant in my area. So, if I can't pack my lunch (time constraints or poor planning), Subway it is. I only have it about once a week and it hasn't prevented me from losing weight. I check the nutritional info online first and make the best choice I can.

But, by that same token, if Subway isn't working for you, you owe it to yourself to find a better option.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I lose weight going to subway quite a lot. Although I am hungrier when I do. It's less filling per calorie than my homemade lunches.
    Same here! I love Subway! Sometimes after particularly heavy work-outs, I will go for a footlong tuna every couple days (on Italian bread, no cheese, lots of veggies, light mayo - my fave!). I am losing weight as well. So long as it fits in your calories and macros, why not? As for too much sodium, it certainly will cause water retention but that gain on the scale is NOT fat.... something the scale does not measure. That's one of the reasons why I don't put a lot of 'weight' in scale numbers, and go more by BF% and measurements.