Plateau HELP

Options
Ok so i have been on here for about 8 weeks now....in the first 6 weeks i lost 27 lbs...i have not lost anything in about 2 weeks I have still been eating good and staying under my bmr and exercising 3 times a week...i have changed things up a little to see if that worked and stepped on the scale this morning and still no weight loss....i can tell my clothes are looser and I can tell a difference in my face but nothing...how can i break this plataue? i have vacation in 4 weeks and wanna try to lose at least another 10 lbs ...HELP PLEASE!!!! any pointers or suggestions...what worked for you?

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    whats your routine looking like..workout wise I mean, maybe its just time to step it up a knotch your body may have simply adapted to the current workload and you need to shock it into more progress
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have been on here for about 8 weeks now....in the first 6 weeks i lost 27 lbs...i have not lost anything in about 2 weeks I have still been eating good and staying under my bmr and exercising 3 times a week...i have changed things up a little to see if that worked and stepped on the scale this morning and still no weight loss....i can tell my clothes are looser and I can tell a difference in my face but nothing...how can i break this plataue? i have vacation in 4 weeks and wanna try to lose at least another 10 lbs ...HELP PLEASE!!!! any pointers or suggestions...what worked for you?

I think you need to just give it some time for your body to adjust. 27 lbs in six weeks is insane. It's more than four pounds a week. Thats REALLY fast for healthy weight loss, and I would give it a few weeks continuing on like you are. Your body will eventually catch up.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    sounds like it's not a plateau but muscle gain, kick up your cardio for straight cal burn. But if you are loosing inches keep the measuring tape out and stay off the scale, I know it's frustrating but you'll start dropping pounds again. I gain 3 lbs of muscle in the last month. It's hard to look at on the scale, but awesome in the mirror. Good luck!
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Can you share your food diary?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is NOT a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks with no change in weight, eating patterns, or exercise. Also 27 pounds in 6 weeks is ridiculously aggressive, normal weight loss is an average of 1-2 pounds per week, you're WAY over that. You can't realistically expect that to continue. Did you switch to a low carb diet? It sounds like you dropped a ton of water weight from the numbers.

Also, eating below your BMR is generally unhealthy, unless you are morbidly obese.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you need to eat at least your BMR - not stay under your BMR. You want to be between your BMR and TDEE.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I think you need to just give it some time for your body to adjust. 27 lbs in six weeks is insane. It's more than four pounds a week. Thats REALLY fast for healthy weight loss, and I would give it a few weeks continuing on like you are. Your body will eventually catch up.

This was the first thing I thought. You don't have a lot of weight to lose based on your ticker. The smaller you are, generally speaking, the slower your rate of weight loss should be. A rate of 4.5 lbs per week is pretty huge even for an obese individual.
  • SeeEmRun2012
    Options
    You gotta start adding MORE. When you plateau that basically means your body is telling you that it is bored with whatever you are currently doing. When you start adding more or changing your routine it becomes confused and suddenly has to kick into high gear to keep up resulting in weight loss and or muscle gain.

If you continue to change your routine then your body always has to exert itself to keep up resulting in constant change.

I do HIIT ( High Intensity Interval Training ) 3 days a week then strength training, target training , running/elliptical,bicycle, pilates/yoga, step and or boot camp the other days. See how different all those workouts are? I can see my muscles developing and the fat diminishing all because i'm constantly switching it up.

Try it out, see if it works for you.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why are you 'staying under your BMR' ?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

You need to open your diary.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is NOT a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks with no change in weight, eating patterns, or exercise. Also 27 pounds in 6 weeks is ridiculously aggressive, normal weight loss is an average of 1-2 pounds per week, you're WAY over that. You can't realistically expect that to continue. Did you switch to a low carb diet? It sounds like you dropped a ton of water weight from the numbers.

Also, eating below your BMR is generally unhealthy, unless you are morbidly obese.

I agree with this ^^
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    Your body needs time to catch up a bit after losing so much so fast. Also have you tried zig zagging your calories ? this has helped me....
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This!

And This!

You are losing weight waaaaaaaay too aggressively to be considered healthy. If you lose weight too fast, you'll end up weighing less, but having a LOT of excess skin flab which isn't the most attractive you. It's not about how fast you get to your goal weight, it's about arriving there healthy and lookin' good.

And 2 weeks is NOT a plateau. 3 months is a plateau.
  • bethmillerwilson
    bethmillerwilson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You should not be eating under your BMR. BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the minimum number of calories the body requires to keep tissues alive, add walking around the house and you need more calories. MFP will set you at a number of calories just above that and if you don't eat the calories, you will lose weight quickly at first, but then your body will go into starvation mode and store everything it gets to fat just in case it doesn't get fed again. The human body likes to maintain itself.

So, now that you have hit the wall that your body is fighting against, you must eat your alotted calories, including exercise ones. This will slowly bring your body out of starvation. You may notice a 4-5 pound gain at first but after about a month you will start to lose again. The gain is from the body adjusting and replacing the glycogen and water that is normally stored in the muscles for normal use. When in starvation mode, the body used all the glycogen stores and water inside of the muscle first. Be not afraid, it will turn around.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    MFP will set you at a number of calories just above that

This is NOT true! MFP is strictly a calculator. It will calculate your TDEE and deduct the calories from that. It does NOT keep BMR in mind when assigning your calories.