Curves For Women?

Options
Shanta1983
Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
Hello MFP, Ive just recieved a call from curves for women, My assesment is Wed at nine. Have Any of you ever heard anything about curves for women, Any results from self, family, or friends.Is it pricey?. I know I have a million questions:laugh: .I should go and see, I just wanna know from people who actually went and seen results before I go. I am so ready to get rid of these 51lbs left , I have along way to go ugh...And being a week smoke freeis not helping a bit:sad: :sad: .Im feeling really discourage right now. I need some motivation, Sometimes I feel like is destined for me to be obese:sad: :sad: :mad:

Replies

• msmel
    msmel Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi don't be discouraged! I have yet to quit smoking as well :grumble: At least you quit.

I joined curves a while back..paid about 30 something a month. Ask them if they could wave the start up fee.. I have to say...I did lose weight working out there..I also tried their weight loss challenge which worked! I think I lost 10-15lbs in 6 months or so. It took longer for me because I wasn't really watching what I was eating in the beginning, but when I got on their diet plan the weight just fell off. 30 mins a day 3 times a week was convenient. The support there helps out a lot, I made a few friends there as well. They use weight resistance machines which aren't strenuous at all.

I was going to re-join, but I signed up for 24 hour fitness instead..I wanted to use the saunas :laugh:

You should definitely try Curves out!
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    Hi don't be discouraged! I have yet to quit smoking as well :grumble: At least you quit.

I joined curves a while back..paid about 30 something a month. Ask them if they could wave the start up fee.. I have to say...I did lose weight working out there..I also tried their weight loss challenge which worked! I think I lost 10-15lbs in 6 months or so. It took longer for me because I wasn't really watching what I was eating in the beginning, but when I got on their diet plan the weight just fell off. 30 mins a day 3 times a week was convenient. The support there helps out a lot, I made a few friends there as well. They use weight resistance machines which aren't strenuous at all.

I was going to re-join, but I signed up for 24 hour fitness instead..I wanted to use the saunas :laugh:

You should definitely try Curves out!

Aww Thanks that do makes me fell alot better, im so excited, I cant wait til see what is all bout. so it does have a regular Gym setting just for women
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    My friend joined curves and lost weight, she only ever had good things to say about.
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    Oh wow Im so excited I cant wait Is it pricey though ? Imean its already costing me alot especially eating healthy is eatin my pockets already:smile::smile: :smile:
  • Italian
    Italian Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my mom loves curves!!! it really works!!!
  • buttabean14
    Options
    Hi! I joined Curves and loved it so much I ended up working there for 6 months! Like previous people said, the machines all use hydraulics-so you create your own resistance (nothing is too heavy or difficult) i.e.: what you put into the machines is what you'll get out of the machines. The new Curves Smart program is AMAZING!! Its a little card that records your workout and will tell you how many calories you burned and which machines you did the best one, need to work on, etc. It was super amazing for me-I lost 15 pounds in the first month I used Curves Smart! I had put myself on a 1500 calorie for a few months before and had seen decent results, but nothing like the 15 pounds in one month!

I ended up moving to a town that doesn't have a Curves, or I'd be back there in a heartbeat!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Oh wow Im so excited I cant wait Is it pricey though ? Imean its already costing me alot especially eating healthy is eatin my pockets already:smile::smile: :smile:

I joined several years ago, was lucky enough to not have to pay the joining fee because of an offer through my job. Even though I wasn't watching what I ate or counting calories like I am now, I still lost over 30 pounds while I was there just by going 3 times a week. I really enjoyed it a lot, it made me really comfortable with the gym and working out. Not there anymore because I wanted a bit more of a challenge, but it was a great way to start working out.

They have a lot of specials, so see if you can catch one where they waive the membership fee, or give a discount. I paid $29/month. Depends on the owners and where you live really, because they are independently owned.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

P.S. You are doing a great job, so don't think about how far you have to go...think about how far you've come!
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    Hi! I joined Curves and loved it so much I ended up working there for 6 months! Like previous people said, the machines all use hydraulics-so you create your own resistance (nothing is too heavy or difficult) i.e.: what you put into the machines is what you'll get out of the machines. The new Curves Smart program is AMAZING!! Its a little card that records your workout and will tell you how many calories you burned and which machines you did the best one, need to work on, etc. It was super amazing for me-I lost 15 pounds in the first month I used Curves Smart! I had put myself on a 1500 calorie for a few months before and had seen decent results, but nothing like the 15 pounds in one month!

I ended up moving to a town that doesn't have a Curves, or I'd be back there in a heartbeat!

Oh wow Im soooooooooo excited now you guys are great:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll be the voice of negativity:grumble:

I joined about 3 or 4 years ago and was a member for a year. Now granted, this was before I got this new lifestyle where I stuck to working out on a regular basis, but....

I did not like it. Here are the things I didn't like:

Membership is high for the little you get, ie. no lockerroom, just changing stalls, no choice in what you do, you just use each machine in a circle, blah blah blah. A lot of women there seemed to be there for social hour rather than working out, so it just kind of felt like the gym equivalent to clown college.

The people working there are not trained health professionals to my knowledge. They are trained on what they need to do to sign you up, but the training is no more extensive than what you would learn at any job. I really don't think any of them are trainers or health experts or anything.

Their hours aren't great, they don't open very early and they don't stay open very late. When I signed up, I had a year contract so that meant I could use any club, not just the one I signed up with. Yeah, that meant I had to get a handwritten pass to go to another club....and they expired after like 30 days, so I couldn't even keep some on me in case I wanted to use another club, because they kept expiring.

The gym I joined after that was about the same price and offered cardio machines, weights, strength training machines, rockwall, pool, gym, walking track, full lockerroom with showers, a pool, and fitness classes and the hours were much better. There was just not comparison.

A lot of women like it becasuse it's only women, but seriously....just go to a real gym and I bet you'll feel just fine after 20 minutes or so. Yeah there are a few guys who may be trolling the gym, but quite honestly there are men and woman of all shapes and sizes that are just there to work out and won't even pay attention to you.
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    OK, I'll be the voice of negativity:grumble:

I joined about 3 or 4 years ago and was a member for a year. Now granted, this was before I got this new lifestyle where I stuck to working out on a regular basis, but....

I did not like it. Here are the things I didn't like:

Membership is high for the little you get, ie. no lockerroom, just changing stalls, no choice in what you do, you just use each machine in a circle, blah blah blah. A lot of women there seemed to be there for social hour rather than working out, so it just kind of felt like the gym equivalent to clown college.

The people working there are not trained health professionals to my knowledge. They are trained on what they need to do to sign you up, but the training is no more extensive than what you would learn at any job. I really don't think any of them are trainers or health experts or anything.

Their hours aren't great, they don't open very early and they don't stay open very late. When I signed up, I had a year contract so that meant I could use any club, not just the one I signed up with. Yeah, that meant I had to get a handwritten pass to go to another club....and they expired after like 30 days, so I couldn't even keep some on me in case I wanted to use another club, because they kept expiring.

The gym I joined after that was about the same price and offered cardio machines, weights, strength training machines, rockwall, pool, gym, walking track, full lockerroom with showers, a pool, and fitness classes and the hours were much better. There was just not comparison.

A lot of women like it becasuse it's only women, but seriously....just go to a real gym and I bet you'll feel just fine after 20 minutes or so. Yeah there are a few guys who may be trolling the gym, but quite honestly there are men and woman of all shapes and sizes that are just there to work out and won't even pay attention to you.

Oh My that just through my confidence in the slumps:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I love Curves. It's perfect for me. I can work harder & burn more calories if I try, like Buttabean said.
    The hours vary. My local opens early & is open till 7:30 at night, which is long enough for me.
    The workout is not as intense as you might get at a body builder's gym, but I couldn't survive there. I'd die of embarrassment & quit. :frown:
    Check it out & see what's right for you.
    :heart:
    I love it.
  • malynch08
    Options
    Yes i have been there for 6 months now and lost 18 inches so far..im so happy and getting very firm..you will love it..and push yourself..do the curves smart..