Question for people that have Lost-Gained-Lost

Options
Any of y'all who have lost weight, gain it back, and are in the process of losing again this is for you....

When I first started diet and exercise I wasnt able to work out for more than 10 mins and I couldnt even do 5 push ups on my knees without feeling like I was going to puke or die.

After, weeks of working out and losing the weight I was able to do things like never before. Example: Doing 20 Full body push ups with hands on a bosu balance ball and one leg off the ground, with ease.

I have gained just about all of my weight back, but I can still do things like those bosu ball push ups no problem.

Any of yall experience something similar?

Do you think it will make it harder to lose weight the second go-round?

Replies

• hprozy
    hprozy Posts: 20
    Options
    When I lost weight the first time I became addicted to the elliptical trainer. I could go for an hour and a half and barely work up a sweat. Now I can go for like an hour and it makes me tired. I have pretty much landed in the middle ground of where I started off last time and where I ended up. I was actually pretty shocked I was not tired after like 20 minuets when I started up again. I think that in the end it will help us loose weight. Our body's act fitter then they actually are, so hopefully the weight will drop off faster to match the fitness levels that we are able to preform. But I really don't have a clue.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Exactly what you said. Our bodies act fitter than what they actually are.

and I think you are right with it being at a "mid-point" cause Im sure there are some things that I probably cant do as much of.

Thanks.
  • hprozy
    hprozy Posts: 20
    Options
    Also I think our body's have good muscle memory, so maybe that's and explanation.
  • hadesflame
    hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Muscle memory helps you lose the weight faster. My husband used to be an ametuer bodybuilder and then he got into several car wrecks and couldn't do anything for several years. When he started exercising again, the weight came off surprisingly quick because his body remembered being fit. Good luck! :happy:
  • jayrey72
    jayrey72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there! Our bodies are champion of adaptation. That's why doing all kinds of different activities confuses the body, and you will hopefully avoid some of the plateau effect. But as you're losing weight, that puts a lot less stress on the heart. And it takes a little less effort to do activities. For example, after you've lost ten lbs, try going up the step carrying a 10 lb. dumbell. It makes a HUGE difference!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i lost 61lbs and kept it off for 3yrs
    but then i started gaining again
    it was only 15lbs but...i didnt want to be a heffer again
    its a lot easier too lose 15 then 50

so i got back on track...and it was alot easier this time around
    im 9lbs down and getting stronger and better each day :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi! It can take just inbetween 1-2 weeks to see a small loss in cardio fitness, in strength training it is something like a month. To dramatically decrease cardio fitness can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

It may be a little bit harder because if you're fitter you won't be able to burn the same amount of calories in the same amount of time, but considering exercise only accounts for about 20% of your weight loss you should be fine :)

Ellie, Currently in training to become a Personal Trainer.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Think of exercising as a helping hand to losing weight. You pushed your body to better physical shape, and even if you gain back some of the fat that you lost, you aren't going to lose that physical shape unless you stop working out entirely for months on end. Being smaller and being fitter aren't the same thing, they just tend to go hand in hand in most cases.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds last year..fell off the wagon over the fall, and put most of it back on. Restarted mid-February. I think it's because of endurance? We had built up our endurance and didn't lose that when we gained the weight.

I was doing Zumba the first time I tried this...now I really don't sweat as much during Zumba and my HRM doesn't show as big as a burn as it was. I added C25K to my workout routine. I think it's coming off easier this time! I've lost 15lbs since restarting and I don't think that much came off in that time span the first time around. (Plus I have had a gain of 6lbs two weeks ago when I went on vacation-if it weren't for that, I'd have lost more!)
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This definately happened to me. I think a lot of it is when I lost the first time through exercise, I became fitter at that weight than I had been on the way up. In the year or so that it took me to put weight back on, I was still fitter at those weights than I was before. So my body could bounce back in to some of those things quicker. I agree with the 'middle ground' assessment. I know that now, 100 pounds lighter, but still firmly in the 'obese' category, I am fitter than a lot of people who are closer to a healthy weight. I don't know if it helps us to lose the weight again quicker, but it sure helps my motivation to know I really can do the good workout stuff without having to get completely reacclimated to it again.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    These have really helped out a lot Thanks!

Keep em coming. :)