A little backwards...regarding protein

Options
Hi-

I just started using MFP 2 weeks ago. I am loving it so far! I'm a bit surprised by how much protein I'm eating. I have not necessarily changed my eating habits, but have been entering everything in and adjusting portions and what I choose for snacks to meet my daily intakes. Going into this I would have thought that I would have more issues keeping my calories, carbs, and fats down, but it's actually the protein I'm having difficulty with!

Replies

• KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible time getting enough protein! LOL What are you eating!?
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing! The more protein, the better.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to keep protein down? I have trouble reaching my protein goal and have to drink nasty shakes as a result.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein default is VERY low. I lose weight better with more protein/less carbs. I might have to peek at your diary to see what you snack on since I never seem to be able to get as much protein as I would like! :flowerforyou:
  • Chunky_Monkey18
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, but my Iron is really low too. High protein, low iron? I always thought those things went hand in hand. What's the deal?
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing! The more protein, the better.

not exactly, right amount of protein is the best. too high then it's just a waste plus it's stressfull to your liver, and may cause gas also. too low then you are sacrificing muscle loss and total conditioning
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, you don't need to worry about going over with your protein intake too much.

I've seen many people say that MFP sets people with a very small protein limit (15% of calorie intake) and that it may be best to increase it. Mine is currently set at 30% and I find it encourages me to get all the protein I need as I never used to get enough (roughly 5-8% of my calorie intake).

Just my 2 cents - I'm no where near as knowlegdable as others on the forums.

Edit: Also, if you're consuming a lot of protein, make sure you're drinking enough water as it can put stress on your body trying to process it all.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome to MFP. :) Unless you have some health issue where it will be a problem (typically kidney issues), then eating more than the specified amount of protein shouldn't cause you any problems. There is some argument as to how much protein is optimal for weight loss. The default setting on MFP is pretty much the lowest recommended percentage. Many of us switch it up and manually set our goals so that protein makes up a higher percentage of our daily calories.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you are working out then don't worry about it!! You will need that protein to build muscle! I have the oposite problem! My protein is rubbish and I am doing cardio and strength training and losing muscle mass!! It sucks!! I want to lose fat not muscle!!

Anyway, as I said, don't worry! If you are not working out then maybe start weighing your protien a bit more strickly?
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The mfp protein goals are quite low, I use it as a minimum instead of a max!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Are you using the default macros? The consensus seems to be that the protein requirements are on the low side.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First off welcome :happy: I know people say that the protein macro here is generally low, so it's okay if you go over. Unless you have restrictions from the doctor, extra protein is good for you. It aids in muscle recovery and it digest slower so you feel satisfied longer. If seeing the red bothers you, you can adjust your macros to suite your needs. I adjusted my macros to get 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30%. That gives me over 100 grams of protein a day!!! Yup, lots of protein. So I think you are okay.
  • stephmt528
    Options
    I'm going over what MFP says I should for protein. That's why I'm curious.

That's interesting that it's felt that the protein default is low...I also figured that if I was going over on anything that protein would be the best one. But I also know there should be a balance between all of them for optimum metabolism. Just surprised me...

Does everyone follow the defaults or daily intakes given by MFP, or do you use other resources to adjust?
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many people on here (specifically omnivores) have trouble getting enough protein considering the protein obsession, if you will, in this country. I've read so many articles about how Americans usually get way too much protein than they need. I'm vegan, so I definitely have trouble getting it. But meat/dairy/egg eaters...why aren't you getting enough protein?
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean that in a snarky way-- I'm just legitimately curious
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendations aren't low. The USDA recommends 56g a day for men and 46g a day for women. MFP suggests 67g a day for me.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, but my Iron is really low too. High protein, low iron? I always thought those things went hand in hand. What's the deal?

Red meat is iron rich, not so much white (if that's where you're getting your protein from). Iron is easy enough to bump up though.

And, yeah, along the lines of what others have posted - I use the MFP protein quantity as a minimum value rather than max (as advised by my trainer, particularly on workout days).
  • dbsykes
    dbsykes Posts: 5
    Options
    Nothing to add on the subject, just wanted to thank you for posting it. I'm having the same problem. Doing great in all the other areas but going over on my protein everyday.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendations aren't low. The USDA recommends 56g a day for men and 46g a day for women. MFP suggests 67g a day for me.
    And that's low. Most will agree you should target 1g protein / 1 lb lbm
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I thought I ate lots of protein until I started logging. Still have trouble eating enough