Who else looks up Calories when eating out?

Options
zebraspots2069
zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
I am fortunate to have a husband that says nothing...but when we go out to eat...I find myself Looking up calories for the meals...I even share the calories with the server if they are just too high to believe.....Anyone else do this?

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    If a restaurant has a menu and nutrition info online, I will look it up before I go so I get a rough idea of what is way out there and what is reasonable. I've never shared it with the server, though :)
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I always look up the calories before I go out to eat and usually have my mind made up ahead of time what I am going to get. That way I don't even have to look at the menu. If I go to a place I have never been I look over the menu and then look up the calories before I order
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Even some salads have enough calories for 3 servings!!! If I know ahead of time where I am eating...I too will look up menu before hand..
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I always look up everything!!! Restaurant meals can be sooooo bad!!!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to have a husband that says nothing...but when we go out to eat...I find myself Looking up calories for the meals...I even share the calories with the server if they are just too high to believe.....Anyone else do this?

We generally go to a specific local restaurant, and I know their menu pretty well. As soon as I know we are going there, I think about what I'm going to eat there and enter it. This can be a day or two in advance. That way, I can plan my meals and exercise the rest of the day around that "special meal". I'll occasionally "loan" myself some calories the day before if I really want something "special".

With chain restaurants, most of their meals are already in the MFP database, and I'll do the same thing - pre-decide (when I'm NOT hungry!) what I want to eat and pre-enter it. That way, when I arrive, I don't have to worry about how many calories my meal has. I order what I planned on eating, and focus on enjoying it.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    I always look up everything too! It's shocking how many calories and how much salt are in restaurant meals!
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When we go out, I check for things ahead with the database here. That way I can make better choices and workout more if needed. That makes for a guilt free night!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Me,ME,Me. I have an app for that LOL.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I look them up if I can, otherwise I've learned enough about what kind of calories things have in them that I can make good choices. Not that I always do, sometimes a meal out for me is whatever the heck I want and calories be damned :)
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I always check the nutritional info before heading out to a restaurant....but I don't talk to the server about the crazy amounts. I save that info for my husband. HAHA.
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I know we are going out to eat, I look it up ahead of time. I have often been surprised by how many calories some of the supposed "healthier" options like salads and such have. I like to check my meal ahead of time and make sure it fits into my calorie allotment so I can make adjustments if necessary.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Yeah I'm obsessed with calorie counting, I feel bad when I'm glued to my phone searching for what has the least amount of calories when we're out for supper lol! I don't share it with the server though lol, just myself, or my husband, who really doesn't care anyways ;D he hasn't ever had a food problem. He just quits eating before he's full! I wish!!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to a restaurant that has their menu and nutritional facts on line, I look it up before I go. If not, most restaurants seem to have a lower calorie option menu.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    All the time! Just yesterday I did!
  • aprileigh27
    Options
    I always plan my meals out before I go out :) that way I know whats good/bad. DONT ever follow those under 500 calorie meals they have bc they are mostly loaded with SODIUM!!!! Some of those meals can have your daily allowance of sodium in that one meal.........
  • ashleigh8993
    ashleigh8993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I know where we are going I look up the menu and nutrition facts online before going and get an idea before I go, but I do also look a lot of things up when we get there at the table before ordering if I didn't have a chance to do my homework before going out to eat. I shared info with a server once at Friendly's because the burger was over 1500 calories and had nothing really on it that should have made it that high, she checked and confirmed for me that the calories were correct and at least acted to be shocked by that as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I look them up before I go so I know what to order, but I doubt the server cares, so I don't share them with anyone.
  • ICEHatchet
    Options
    I do. I did on my old program and I will for this one too. It helps keep me in check!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I think if anyone didn't they'd be doing themselves a real disservice...
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My wife and I do.