Should I change my age on HRM from 45 to 25 to = HR

Options
I have just bought an FT 4 it automatically used the set formula using my age to determine my maximum heart rate.

I'm 45 years old and it determines it to be 175.

I'm not that fit and classed as just about obese.

But using my HRM for the first time doing cardio I logged 195 as my max heart rate.

I'm out of shape these days but I do a bit of training sometimes so maintain the minimum fitness level.
But I was an athlete when I was younger and boxed for 10 years and run the 1500m at school championship level and was in the Army and Army Boxing Team and very active up to the age of 24.

Since then my physical activity is slowly demised over the years.

But upto the age 24 I was extremely fit. So my heart grew up being pounded and fit.

So my question is this.....using the formula of Polar TF4 to get a maximum heart rate if 195 I'd have to set my age to 25.

Should I do this so I can get more accurate data of my zones ?

Replies

• phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I just got an FT 7 and have used it for almost a week. I was fit when I was in my 20s but am not now. I would set it up for your current age.
  • BlueBaron37
    BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just got an FT 7 and have used it for almost a week. I was fit when I was in my 20s but am not now. I would set it up for your current age.

But the formula is not set in stone, it's not true for me. If it was true I be dead now with a 195 max heart rate.

The idea of the formula is so you know what zone your in and the machine can calculate your calories burned. If the machine is not correct in my max heart rate with is about 12% out, my calorie burn must be 12% out as the zones are wrong.
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    I done a little bit of research yesterday and I'm right to change my age. It's not age that is important but max heart to calibrate and know your zones witch I will type up here later.
  • NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    :huh: *scratching my head* I have a pink ft4 and I set mines to my age 33. Am I suppose to lower my age? And what will lower the age do?

Thanks, Neka
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    :huh: *scratching my head* I have a pink ft4 and I set mines to my age 33. Am I suppose to lower my age? And what will lower the age do?

Thanks, Neka

Neka first you need to go to gym and find your max heart rate by doing some intense exercise, like the tread mill or cross trainer. Get going and a good intense exercise going. then push yourself 10 minutes in to in for a minute or as long as you can go, not too long though. Then you get your max heart rate.

Or if you have a Polar FT4 and you have exercised to the max before go through data and look for your max heart rate it will be recorded on that sesion. I'm not sure how many sessions the FT4 stores.

When you done that go to this link of a post I posted a little while ago here for calibrating your FT4
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/578548-how-2-calibrate-polar-ft4-training-hr-zones-effects
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and high blood pressure. Not huge but due to the high bp my heart rate used to be 190 bpm playing tennis or riding the bike when I first started. I've lost 10kgs and now the highest is around the 170 with a good run around. So it can be that high. A healthy resting heart rate can be around 60bpm, mine is avg 80bpm. Even waking up first thing in the morning its around 100 bpm. Convert your weight and height into your exact measurements and go off your correct age. Each time you put the watch on, it checks what your heart rate is and sets and average for the workout. it'll be different each time. sometimes my avg is 120 and other times its 135 starting depending upon my movements prior to when putting on the watch. Stick with it matey. The info you get is going to be true for you.