No more fast food...

So i been doing MFP for about 2 weeks, and today i decided it was going to be my cheat day. I work out 5 times a week, and one cheat day a week. Well today i decided to get whataburger breakfast sandwitches for me and a co-worker....even though it was my cheat day i feel sick about the fact that i just consumed that many calories in one sitting.. 550 calories for one breakfast sandwitch.. thats more than three times my usual breakfast intake..

Replies

• aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    I feel your pain. The few times when I have let myself have fast food I felt so guilty and and then the grease (or whatever else is in the food) made me sick all day. Totally not worth it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    So i been doing MFP for about 2 weeks, and today i decided it was going to be my cheat day. I work out 5 times a week, and one cheat day a week. Well today i decided to get whataburger breakfast sandwitches for me and a co-worker....even though it was my cheat day i feel sick about the fact that i just consumed that many calories in one sitting.. 550 calories for one breakfast sandwitch.. thats more than three times my usual breakfast intake..

So what will you eat next time?
  • Funny you say that because i actually hadn't been feeling all to great today, and i figured it was the grease.. I am actually affraid to get on the scale today. =(
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    If my family wants fast food I will agree to Subway. I even like their breakfast sandwiches. If we have to go to McDonald's I choose very carefully. :)
  • I had been eating Multigrain cheerios and skimmilk. Think i will stick with that. I have been searching for breakfast idea's that won't kill my cal intake, and taste good at the same time.. Have any idea's?
  • I love subway, but i live out in the country, and there isnt one close to me. It just so happens that there is every other fast food chain on my way to work except a subway.. go figure.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Everything "bad" still tastes wonderful to me. Probably even better now since i have it so rarely. Luckily the high cals make it easy to only have once in a blue moon. :)
  • I felt like that too! i still have a burger every now and then but i have learned to do half of the serving instead of the full meal and i feel ok. No stomachaches, or guilt (well maybe a little guilt, but just a little)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I had been eating Multigrain cheerios and skimmilk. Think i will stick with that. I have been searching for breakfast idea's that won't kill my cal intake, and taste good at the same time.. Have any idea's?
    I have two regular breakfasts:

2 eggs fried in coconut oil
    1 slice Orowheat Double Fiber Whole Wheat Toast
    1/2 TBS butter
    Black coffee
    289 cals 18 carbs 15 fat 19 protein

Multi-Grain hot cereal (I get it from Trader Joe's, but plain oatmeal works too)
    1/2 banana OR 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
    1 Tbs honey
    1/8 cup walnuts
    black coffee
    357 cals 57 carbs 12 fat 15 protein

I usually have the hot cereal on the days that I run - great energy!

As far as fast food restaurants - the only places I go now are either Subway or In-N-Out Burger. No other places really appeal to me anymore.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I had been eating Multigrain cheerios and skimmilk. Think i will stick with that. I have been searching for breakfast idea's that won't kill my cal intake, and taste good at the same time.. Have any idea's?

I personally am not an advocate of cheat days, but they seem to work for you. So I was wondering what tasty, satisfying breakfast you might substitute? Certainly something more exciting that Multigrain Cheerios and skim.

I dunno. Maybe a multigrain English muffin with some kind of tasty, but relatively healthy sausage and cheese?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Just adjust the calories for the rest of the day. ie.. salad for lunch, a touch smaller dinner and workout a bit longer.

Solved.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    although I agree that is good to avoid fast food, eating 550 calories for breakfast should not send you into a panic. I always eat around 400 for breakfast and this morning I actually had about 580. If I have a higher breakfast I just adjust a little later in the day. I usually eat about 400 at breakfast 400 for lunch and 600-700 for dinner. I use the rest for snacks and try to hit around 1700 total a day. Maybe your calorie goals are a little unrealistic if this freaks you out.
  • awwwshux25
    awwwshux25 Posts: 96 Member
    I have learned to stay away from sausage...but breakfast is my weakness and I faithfully stop at Arby's every morning...I generally either get an egg and cheese wrap with no potato or an egg and cheese biscuit with only half of the biscuit. I am sure I could probably make better decisions but I generally hit my calorie goal so I am not going to be too hard on myself
  • I had been eating Multigrain cheerios and skimmilk. Think i will stick with that. I have been searching for breakfast idea's that won't kill my cal intake, and taste good at the same time.. Have any idea's?
    This scramble was rather delicious this morning!
    Spinach - Raw, 0.5 cup
    Kraft - Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Fat Free, 3/8 c
    Jimmy Dean - Turkey Sausage Crumbles, 2/3 cup
    Generic - Eggbeaters, 1/2 cup
    Sliced - Baby Bella Mushrooms , 1 cup
    Herdez - Salsa Verde, 1 tbsp
    240 Calores 10 carbs 4 grams of fat
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 129 Member
    After awhile you completely get out of that fast food mind set. Yesterday I needed to grab a quick dinner between dance practice and my bootcamp class and I headed straight to the grocery store to get a Clif bar. When I mentioned it to a friend she was like "Why didn't you just get McDonald's?" I realized I never get McDonalds. I don't even think about it. Fast food to me is one of those pre-wrapped sandwiches at Trader Joe's or Starbucks. It's weird. 15 years ago it would have been Wendy's or....McDonalds (because I have a brain freeze and can't think of another fast food place). I wonder when exactly that transition took place, when did my perception of "fast food" change so dramatically?
  • Well i wake up at 5:30 in the morning to go to work so it doesn't leave me much time to put something together more enjoyable than cheerios and skim.. If anything i'd like to have something like you had suggested, but i hadn't went full on food shopping yet. Just buying things to help me transition into a healthier diet.

I personally am not an advocate of cheat days, but they seem to work for you. So I was wondering what tasty, satisfying breakfast you might substitute? Certainly something more exciting that Multigrain Cheerios and skim.

I dunno. Maybe a multigrain English muffin with some kind of tasty, but relatively healthy sausage and cheese?
    [/quote]
  • lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member

what i have been eating latley is a pita, (eat like a taco) and spread laughing cow cheese on it, then add a plain scrambled egg cooked in PAM, and then i cut up a turkey sausage patty and its like 310 cals. Very filling and i add fresh fruit or a fruit cup with no added sugar.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member

If you have the time, cook a fried egg and sausage patty and put it between a real english muffin. You might save a lot of sodium and cals that way. Every weekend before my workout, I have a fried egg, sausage and american cheese (no muffin).

Homemade is always lower in calories and sodium.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Funny you say that because i actually hadn't been feeling all to great today, and i figured it was the grease.. I am actually affraid to get on the scale today. =(

If the scale goes up it is probably because of the sodium. If your calorie goals for the whole week are still in line, then you shouldn't show a gain.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Chekc out my breakfast if you really want to see a bad breakfast and that was the supposedly healthy breakfast in the cafe attached to my office. Glad I knew I was going to go over but good lord I went over!