Weight loss surgery members only ?

Options
I'm starting to get really confused on my calorie intake and what I should be doing. According to the members of a specific weight loss surgery forum, they say you should eat 1000-1200 cals a day after surgery for weight loss. But on here, everyone says I need to eat more (my TDEE for my exercise level is 2887).

One of the ladies said that MFP is not accurate for me because I had WLS. I wouldn't think that matters. My body still needs the same number of calories to function as it did before the surgery. It's not like it turned off a switch, it just made the quantity I can eat smaller.

Anyone else here have WLS (LapBand) and if so, what is your calorie intake on an average day.

Here are my stats:
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 242
BMR: 1889
TDEE: 2261 (no exercise); 2887 (4-5 days of exercise)

In my opinion, if I eat 1200 cals a day or less, I'm not going to lose; just be miserable. I've been netting between 1000 and 1200 for the past week and I gained a pound this morning.....

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did you not receive follow-up instructions after your procedure ?

I just read on a hospital web site " You will also have follow-up nutrition visits about every 3 months during your first postoperative year. Bring your food records with you to be reviewed. The frequency of your visits may decrease after your first year with the LAP-BAND." for example.

You'll be eating less than a normal person, that's how the thing works.

Ignore the "eat your BMR" crowd, they're talking BS. Your body will be fuelled from your fat reserves to fill the gap between what you use and what you eat. At over 200 lbs you've masses in reserve - over 200,000 calories.

So find an eating level that suits you, doesn't give problems with the band, and gives you a deficit of 500 calories or more below your TDEE. It will be trial and error, not a simple calculation.
  • Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    During the weight loss phase, typical calorie intake is 800 to 1,000 per day. Always make sure you have protein first!
  • bella51708
    Options
    During the weight loss phase, typical calorie intake is 800 to 1,000 per day. Always make sure you have protein first!

I have had 6 post-op doctor visits, but they don't ask to see any food diary. How can it be healthy to eat only 800-1,000 cals a day. I'm eating 1200 a day now and am famished most days. My stomach usually growls the whole day and sometimes causes stomach pain from being hungry.....How can it be "unhealthy" for a non-weight loss surgery person to eat under 1200 a day; but it's okay me to eat that little.
  • Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    Depending on the type of surgery you had, your stomach should be much smaller than it was before. You can't each alot and your body requires less calories because of the small stomach.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How can it be healthy to eat only 800-1,000 cals a day.

if you pick your foods you can get enough protein, fats, minerals and vitamins within that allowance, so it can be healthy from that point of view. Eating a good variety of stuff of different colours for example.
  • promising_actress
    Options
    It's only safe to eat that few calories if you really know what you're doing or under a doctor's supervision. In the case of any WLS, you are under doctor's and dietician's care. They give you strict guidelines to follow, and follow them or your surgery (TOOL) will not work. They should have given you a list of vitamins to take throughout the day. They will take blood from you to monitor levels of vital nutrients. The whole point you had WLS was to eat less & lose weight. Don't ruin it by overeating. Use your new tool to it's fullest extent.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I have not had weight loss surgery, but i do know a bit as i know a lot of people who have done it. Weight loss surgery works because you're eating considerably less. That's what makes you lose so much weight, not the surgery itself. So you may be miserable, but you WILL lose weight. Less food than normal, that's what makes it work, that's the point of the surgery. Did your doctor tell you how many calories you should be eating a day? Because that's the most important voice of all, they should've given you comprehensive instructions on what you're supposed to be doing.