Anyone try slimfast?

Options
Did it work? Did you gain the weight right back? Im just talking about about the shakes not the bars ect.

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    They taste really good. That's all I can say about them. Didn't use them to lose weight.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I have had the shakes when I find myself hungry in between meals. I was surprised that they tasted good. I can't speak for weight loss as I didn't follow the plan properly.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    i find the shakes fill me up for a while i think im going to start it today :3
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've tried that and the special K shakes. They taste alright, but didn't help me lose weight. Actually I gained weight with the slimfast ones.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I used them several years ago, when I went off of them I gained all the weight back. It is a quick fix, not a lifestyle change which is what is required to keep the weight off for life. Yes, they taste good, but I did get hungry in between shakes. In a pinch I could see using them as a quick meal replacement, but not as an overall weight loss program. Eating good, clean healthy food and exercise is what it takes to make it for the long haul.
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried them, followed the plan but didn't lose as much as I can eating 'real' food. Loved the milkshakes I was sad to stop having them lol
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I used to drink them when I was a kid because they tasted good.
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    I always found food to be more satisfying in terms of my hunger. I'd rather count out the calories and eat something for a meal then just pop open a shake. For instance, a shake can have190 calories, 50 from fat, and 10g protein. You can get more proteins, less fat, and fewer calories by eating a Turkey Breast cutlet (120 calories, 0 fat, 28g protein). Not only that, eating food is harder for your body to digest, so your body spends more calories just in the process of breaking down the food, this is known as the thermic benefit of digestion.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did the shakes for breakfast and the meal bars for lunch for a little while. I lost weight. It was a good jumpstart for my diet. Once I got bored with the, I started eating healthy foods.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've drank the shakes with breakfast before. They taste good. It was like chocolate milk with other stuff in it. But I've never used it to lose weight.
  • UrbanAmazon59
    Options
    Don't bother with them. It's very low in protein which is very important for weight loss or muscle maintenance, and really high in carbs and sugar. Also low on nutrients. If you're looking for a quality meal replacement, go to a health food store and get a reputable brand with good ingredients. It should have at least 12-20 grams of protein per serving. Most employees are knowledgable and willing to help.

Good luck!
  • ncbrowneyes97
    ncbrowneyes97 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried them but was bored after about two weeks- I think they would be okay short term use with a small amount of weight to lose-
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have never actually followed the diet. But, I do keep their powder shakes on hand for last minute breakfasts on the run. I make it in my travel mug & grab some fruit.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Did it work? Did you gain the weight right back? Im just talking about about the shakes not the bars ect.

Slim-fast shakes are balanced (if processed) nutrition. They are a convenient way to get your nutrition in a reasonably balanced diet. Log them as food as part of your food diary, and they're a great convenience.

I will mention, however, the whole point of this site is to start logging your food so you learn what foods give you the nutrition you need to get through a day. When you reach your goal, you're going to want to reach an equilibrium point where you can maintain the "new you".

You're certainly OK maintaining slim-fast or some prepared meal shake as part of your permanent diet, just consider as you approach your goal whether that's part of your long-term goals, and consider replacing them with "real food" occasionally so you can develop your maintenance lifestyle gradually and not "end your diet" in a position where you don't have a "transition to maintenance" plan ready.

So, in short, diet shakes are a useful tool. Use them judiciously.

That's my opinion, at least. I've seen too many friends use diet shakes and follow the label instructions and lose weight at very healthy rates, then when their "diet" is over they go back to their old eating habits, and the obvious result is that they go back to their old weight fast.

EDIT: I'll occasionally use things like Clif Bars for the same reason - as a rapid, measurable, balanced way to get some nutrition in me when other sources are unavailable or inconvenient. I count them as part of my calories, fat, protein, and carbs for the day. They're a convenient tool, and I wouldn't feel any qualms about replacing a meal with one, provided it fits into my daily eating plan.
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    I used to drink it every morning for breakfast, I lost quite a bit of weight on it. I didn't do the actual diet though.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I tried the shakes back in 2002 or 2003 and stayed with them for roughly 6-8 months. I think I lost an inch or so off my waist but the things were disgusting to me, I actually couldn't drink one of the flavors because it was so artificial, and I ended up throwing them up after a while. I don't know if they've changed since then, I would imagine some improvement's been made.

That aside I will say it did its job as a meal replacement, it kept me full.
  • Kookytoot
    Kookytoot Posts: 12
    Options
    They didn't suit my needs, I have a very active job and I found myself hungry ALL the time and so I would binge on anything I could get my hands on... Good luck if it works for you though.
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Liked the taste but I missed chewing my meals.
  • twhit24
    twhit24 Posts: 13
    Options
    Have tried them in the past but didn't keep me full. Drinking Shakeology now and feeling much better/fuller with it. Love mixing Chocolate/PB/Banana the most.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Liked the taste but I missed chewing my meals.

^^^^ Don't underestimate this factor. They are filling but not "satisfying" for some people, if you get my drift, in part because they are low in proteins and in part because they're a liquid, not a solid.

Gum can help with the "chewing" factor, but then you're starting to put more effort into replacing your food than you would have just preparing it. And if you want to work out, you need more proteins than they might provide.