In NEED of SAHM success stories!

Options
2»

Replies

• mali240
    mali240 Posts: 126
    Options
    I am a sahm for a lovely six month old. I did 30 DS, I loved it coz it was about half an hour that I can squeeze in while LO is napping.

I now alternate everyday between BFBM and NMTZ it's about an hour so I fit it in the evenings while husband is watching the baby.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Successful SAHM here. Just stick with it and sneak in workouts whenever you can. I like to do squats and crunches at bath time, lunges pushing them on swings etc
  • kgbr1602
    kgbr1602 Posts: 43
    Options
    I can completely relate. I am a SAHM of twin 4 year old boys and my oldest son is 13 years old. I gained a lot of weight while pregnant with the twins, and then just never lost it and added about 15-20 more in the last 4 years sitting at home on my butt all day :-( I started on March 19th this year with at least 80 lbs to lose. I lost 5 lbs pretty fast (a little over a week), and have only lost another 2 pounds since then :-( I am stuck with my weight not going down, but I have started lifting weights 3 days a week and have a feeling that has a lot to do with me not dropping anymore for now. I usually have 1 rest day a week, and I do cardio the other 3 days for about an hour. I am hoping to start 30 DS soon, in place of some of my cardio. I have also been playing around with my calorie allowance, and apparently haven't found the 'right' level yet. Feel free to friend me as well, and maybe we can encourage each other out of our 'ruts' :-) Good luck with your journey!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHD. 3 girls, now 10, 7, & 7. I had tried for years to reform my diet, and/or start a workout routine, and always failed. One day with nudging from the rest of the family, I just plain buckled down and did it.

I started off by buying a used treadmill, and walking on it. Then I added a used stationary bike, and worked that in. Then I bought some hand weights and worked those in. Figuring out a consistent workout routine was a pain in the butt, as the twins weren't even a year old when all this went down. So I worked out when everybody else was asleep. I set all this gear up in the girls' playroom, so sometimes when they were acting good, I'd workout while they played or slept. We also had a 3-seat jogging stroller, and a lot of times I'd throw them in the stroller then off we'd go. Logistics was a booger with this, as somebody always had something that we needed to turn back for. But eventually I got the hang of it. Eventually I figured it all out, kept improving, and now I race triathlon for grins and giggles. It's my outlet. I'm in two triathlon clubs, have done any number of epic life-changing races, and still marvel, looking back, at what I went through to get even this far (which still isn't as far as I want to get). In short, the tough days were when I learned and earned who I really am.

That's my "Here is my story" story. My "Smartass but still very true" story goes something like this: I decided I had two hands. And every time I fell down I used those very hands to pick myself up and brush myself off before going on.

Falling is a part of trying. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and keep on trying. If you have some bad days, so be it. We all do. I'm in a tough spot right now, myself. But falling doesn't mean I'm failing. It means when I pick myself up and brush myself off and get my act together again (which I will) that I'm succeeding. Falling, then giving up because it's too hard - now that's failing. Falling, getting up, brushing myself off, then trying harder? That's the textbook definition of success.

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the success you're capable of achieving for yourself. My honest guess is, that's a heck of a lot more success than you realize, right now. And for what it's worth, some dear friends of mine gave me a t-shirt a few years ago that says, "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I found the strength to start." Not a bad way of seeing things...
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've been a SAHM for over 16 years now. I just started my exercise/weight loss journey the end of December. It hasn't been nearly as difficult as I expected, but I'm still struggling. I sort of expected impossible. I've thought several times about how/if I could have done this years ago, and I don't know what would have happened if I had tried. It has taken me getting my kids to the point where they are, and me to the point where I am, to be able to focus this much attention on myself. I think when your weight and fitness get bad enough, it requires so much effort to make progress that it is hard to do without being able to focus a great bit of time on yourself. I just can't imagine how I could have done that sooner. Things have a season.

However, what I have learned in the past few months is that I really wish I had known about MFP sooner. I couldn't have gone to the gym sooner. But I wish I had started logging my food, honestly and accurately, years ago. I'm certain it would have given me some insights into some bad habits I didn't even realize I had. It would have helped me make some better choices -- especially the times when my choices were really limited. I know a good bit about nutrition when I take the time to think about options and plan things in advance... but I've made some bad choices at times when I just didn't think I had options or when I didn't have time to think or plan. Over the past 10 or so years, I could have been making small changes, easy changes, learning new things and exploring options that would have put me in a much better place than I am now.

I really hope you can find the support and love and time that you need to get moving on a successful journey. However, if you decide that this isn't your time, I really encourage you to try to make MFP food logging a priority. I think it will pay off for you.

Of course, the most important priority, no matter what, is for you to find friends and support. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Shannon
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Joining my local YMCA was the best thing I ever did. Started bringing the kids to the childcare and working out. It made me a much happier person especially in the winter when I was dying to get out of the house. I've been going for 3 years now and met a lot of other moms. WaI loved working out there vs other gyms because so many people looked just liked me!

I also recommend researching mom groups in your area to help you meet some people. When I had my first child I was extremely depressed and lonely. I met some great friends through mom groups on meetup.com. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!