Running races - Special item of clothing?

Options
I know there are a lot of pro runners who wear certain things when they run races, like a special pair of shorts or socks, because they think they're lucky.

There was actually an article in Runner's World not to long ago about the mental effects of running with a "lucky" pair of shorts, because they give you a mental boost, and make you feel more confident

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/04/05/the-science-behind-fastinistas/?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blog-_-FastFasionistas

Any of the runners on here wear something specific on race day, like a pair of socks, shorts, or a shirt, because it's lucky, or it just makes you feel good?

I actually wear brightly colored socks. I have a pair of rainbow socks that go up to my knees that I love wearing, not because they're lucky, but because they make me feel happy and relaxed. My best friend (who is gay), always says that so long as we're friends, she doesn't need to worry about people suspecting she's a lesbian right off the bat, because they'll always suspect me first when I have those socks on.

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Not me personally, but I've been to several races where you see the same runners all of the time, and some of the "senior" generation tend to never wash their running hats.... just old, sweat-crusted, stanky caps. LOL
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Not me personally, but I've been to several races where you see the same runners all of the time, and some of the "senior" generation tend to never wash their running hats.... just old, sweat-crusted, stanky caps. LOL

Ahaha, stanky caps.That made me laugh out loud. Maybe the stank aspect is lucky? :laugh:
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a specific model of shirt that I like to run in. The Brooks HVAC line. It started with the same shirt every time but after a while it was getting a little rough around the edges (although I will still use it for a run at times). Now I am on my second HVAC shirt.

Mind you I don't wear this shirt on muddy affairs like the warrior dash, etc.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    I run in exactly what I trained in. The last thing you want are any surprise when you're half way into your race. Keep it simple. No need to to "geared out" for a 5K. If you get up to halfs and fulls then start thinking about some gear. Even then, if you are running a well established race they have water and snacks every 1.5 miles or so. I ditched my running belt 3 marathons ago and it was the greatest thing ever! Good luck and remember...new shoes ever 300 miles....ALWAY!
  • Australia2013
    Options
    My husband is an ultramarathon trail runner and definitely has his habits. Before any race we have to eat thai or indian food for dinner the night before, we have to get to the race at least an hour early regardless if the race only has 25 people in it, and he wears either his gray hat or black bandana :smile:

I on the otherhand like the shorter distances (5K, 10K) and will run in whatever performance clothing I have clean at the time.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I run in exactly what I trained in. The last thing you want are any surprise when you're half way into your race. Keep it simple. No need to to "geared out" for a 5K. If you get up to halfs and fulls then start thinking about some gear. Even then, if you are running a well established race they have water and snacks every 1.5 miles or so. I ditched my running belt 3 marathons ago and it was the greatest thing ever! Good luck and remember...new shoes ever 300 miles....ALWAY!

I hate water belts, even on training runs, haha. I have never bought one. I'm a stasher when it comes to longer runs. I'm like a running squirrel, hiding food and water everywhere for later. ;)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

I hate water belts, even on training runs, haha. I have never bought one. I'm a stasher when it comes to longer runs. I'm like a running squirrel, hiding food and water everywhere for later. ;)

I hate that stinkin' water belt but it's a necessary evil IMHO. Tomorrow I do 22 miles and there's no way that I can "squirrel" away my food and water on the course I'm running. LOL

As far as brinking along a lucky anything, I take my lucky legs. So far they have been quite good to me. :)