Really stupid question

Options
How the heck do you use an elliptical?!

I was on it yesterday at the gym, and my knees were bent the whole time... Is that normal?? It felt really weird...

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yeah, being a runner it's a weird motion for me, I tend not to use it at all since it just feels awkward :/ not really helpful, but I know what you mean!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have one at home. I use it to hang wet shirts on to dry.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I used to have one and my legs would never fully straighten either... I got used to it and really enjoyed it. Great workout for bad knees.
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    I hate those things, my knees kill after being on one!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I used to have one and my legs would never fully straighten either... I got used to it and really enjoyed it. Great workout for bad knees.

I don't feel like I could ever get a good workout on one, it's so weird, and if I try to go faster, then I accidently straighten my leg, and it messes everything up, and if I don't then my feet slide around... maybe I'm just awkward lol
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I always feel extremely awkward on that thing. I've learned if I life my heels a bit as I go forward it helps. But yea, I feel like a spastic baboon most times.
  • ShaeSweetie
    ShaeSweetie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When i use it my legs are straight but its like one leg at a time you bend..its like riding a bike but standing up haha...idk some elipticals have your knees bent the whole time..those ones give your booty a good workoutt
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I don't feel like I could ever get a good workout on one, it's so weird, and if I try to go faster, then I accidently straighten my leg, and it messes everything up, and if I don't then my feet slide around... maybe I'm just awkward lol

*LOL* screw the elliptical and go back to the treadmill before you hurt yourself ;-P
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love the eliptical. I think it is the best way to maximize your time. I can burn at least 400 calories in 30 minutes on one. The only problem I have is my right leg tends to go numb if I am going backwards, so I usually only go forward. They do take some getting used to.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Keep trying it's not easy at 1st but once you figure it out you will be able to stand taller and push with yours heels and roll forward slightly to your toes..it takes awhile but it's worth it because every muscle in you legs and mid section are on fire and it gets your arms a good workout too!!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The trainer I used to see told me that when using one, you should keep your feet planted, heels down, and try to keep from bouncing up and down. I never ended up liking it though; stick to what you like and will actually be more likely to do.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Keep trying it's not easy at 1st but once you figure it out you will be able to stand taller and push with yours heels and roll forward slightly to your toes..it takes awhile but it's worth it because every muscle in you legs and mid section are on fire and it gets your arms a good workout too!!

^^^^ This listen to her, she is smart!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    The trainer I used to see told me that when using one, you should keep your feet planted, heels down, and try to keep from bouncing up and down. I never ended up liking it though; stick to what you like and will actually be more likely to do.

I want to like it! lol The machines I REALLY like are all strength training. I figured I'd give it a shot and then was like WTF?!?! lol
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    depends on the type, but instead of going faster i find it a great burn to increase the resistance.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

^^^^ This listen to her, she is smart!

Agreed!! ^^^^^
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    depends on the type, but instead of going faster i find it a great burn to increase the resistance.

I'll try that
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

I always had the same issue. They never felt comfortable, and I never felt like I got a good workout from them, because I was constantly adjusting my feet so that I didn't slip around and accidentally straighten my legs. Or whatever.. Just awkward machines, haha.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    yeah it takes some getting used to, then also I find the arc trainer to be a bit more accommodating, and calorie wise can burn around 15 cals/min on the elliptical, closer to 18/min on the arc, though I know that's their estimates...too lazy to get an HRM lol \m/
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if your gym has different types, try those. I like the Cybex Arctrainer (with front mechanism) but not the regular ellipticals.