Help- With marinated meat

Options
So cooking is new to me and grilling season is coming up- I did alot of marinaded stuff on the grill last year- my question is how do I log those this year- I know it does not suck up all the calories of the marinade

Example- I did chicken breasts in Italian dressing- usually sits for 12 hours before cooking- plan to use healthy marnades this year

Any advice and healthy marinade ideas would be welcome

Replies

• pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    It depends. Lighter flavored meats (like chicken) with more mild marinades can easily sit over night. Stronger flavors can over-whelm the meat if left in for too long. The best thing is to either follow the recipe directions or experiment a bit! It's big fun - one of my favorite marinades is a mix of olive oil, the juice of a lime (I throw the fruit into the zippy bag, too), chopped handfuls of cilantro, parsley, and/or mint, minced garlic, salt and pepper. It's great for either chicken or pork and will flavor the meat wonderfully in 30 minutes, but an over-night soak in the fridge is not too long.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i was wondering this yesterday. i made cola chicken in the crock pot and i know the chicken didn't soak up all of the sauce and i only added a spoonful to it. so i guesstimated and logged the recipe as about 63% of sauce ingredients.

ETA: to be clear, instead of putting the recipe into the recipe maker as the full amount used (1 can of pop, 1 cup of ketchup) i changed to ketchup to be about 0.63 cups. if that make any sense, lol.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine before and after, then log the difference.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Great Question! I marinate a bunch of chicken in Gallon bags for the family (several servings at a time) and freeze them. Then i throw them into the fride to thaw as needed and they are already marinated and ready to throw on the grill. Generally we've been sticking with Vinegar based or mustard based marinades so that the count is minimal if anything. (2 current favorites - Yellow Mustard with Ground or fresh ginger, and Balsamic viegar with minced garlic) TIP: if you don't use oil in the marinade, you should try spraying the grill - weber makes a great spray)

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing other ideas!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    if you want to be accurate you measure it before and after. If it is, say, Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing and a cup is 480 calories, remove the chicken, grill it, then pour the marinade back into the measuring cup and see how much ended up with the chicken, that is what you log.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I go to recipe builder and put in all the ingredients and then how many servings for the whole dish and it breaks it down per serving Im not sure if thats what you are looking for (Sorry)
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    TIP: if you don't use oil in the marinade, you should try spraying the grill - weber makes a great spray)

If you do spray the grill, make sure you pick it up and off the coals/fire. You don't want the oil to flare up and jump back toward you and the full container. Instead, you can also rub the grill with a little bit of oil-soaked paper towel.