Is fruit unhealthy?

Options
So amoungst veggies and salad today (all home made with no dressings) today i've eaten...

a slice of honeydew melon
6 strawberries
2 plums
a small pack of raisins
a small handful of red grapes
a baking apple

Will that make me fat? I just LOVE fruit and veggies so much! Not eating fruit would make me so so sad :(

Replies

• amneff51
    amneff51 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fruit in general won't make you fat, but too much of anything will! You need to track everything you put in your mouth, no matter how few, if your intention is to lose weight. You'll see how certain fruits & veggies should be eaten in moderation, while others you can nibble all day. Certain fruits contain a good bit of sugar and carbs, both of which you may need to cut back on in order to lose weight.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I wish I loved fruit like that!
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Would you mind checking my diary to see if i'm doing ok? I haven't lost weight in ages :( i'm stuck at 145.4
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    moderation.
  • mrs_kurz
    Options
    moderation.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the above enough moderation?
  • Babs540
    Babs540 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation ... this is true, but there is huge benefits to filling up on fruits and veggies rather then meats and carbs. Meats can be low fat and low calorie, but red meats can contain high amounts of cholesterol & nitrates if you eat deli meats. Also, carbs like pasta, crackers and breads contain less nutritional content then fruits and veggies and packs a higher calorie punch in most cases. Most the time an active person can diet on as many fruits and veggies as they want without seeing any weight gain. There is such a huge nutritional benefit to fresh raw fruits and veggies that it's hard to believe eating them would be counter productive. I can only imagine massive amounts to be detrimental.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Careful of consuming too much sugar through fruit...that might be a problem. Try for more water based fruits.

For every one serving of fruit, you need 2 servings of vegetables.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Only in the last few years. I remember when fruit was considered healthy.....must be because we've become more educated about nutrition in general.
  • mrs_kurz
    Options
    Yeah I guess you're right. I guess i'll just try and cut down on fruit and up the veggies!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Only in the last few years. I remember when fruit was considered healthy.....must be because we've become more educated about nutrition in general.

Or less educated about nutrition in general. Seems like the more that's "learned" the less we know.

Fruit is healthy. But as others have mentioned some might put you over in macros. And fruit has calories, so you'd have to be mindful of that as well.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agree with Bisera ... more veg in ratio to fruit. Fruits have many necessary nutrients but also carry a price of sugar and more calories than a vegetable. Good for you to be making healthy choices ... maybe just switch things up a bit.
  • amneff51
    amneff51 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All looks good to me, but check your carbs on some of those fruits. Apples, grapes, plums have tons, so maybe you should select your fave fruits for the day and balance out the nutrition. Doesn't seem like you are eating "enough" fats, but I am not sure that's a bad thing.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    moderation.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the above enough moderation?

Unless you have a medical issue, if it fits into your calorie goal and macros - yes - or, if it fits into your macros, you can eat more.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! :)

Fruits are good for you, but there are tons of fruits that are high in sugar. If you like eating lots of fruit maybe try eating lower sugar fruits (search Google).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

Or less educated about nutrition in general. Seems like the more that's "learned" the less we know.

Fruit is healthy. But as others have mentioned some might put you over in macros. And fruit has calories, so you'd have to be mindful of that as well.
    Haha....I was actually being scarcastic. People will try and imagine fruit is bad, from the sugar content, fructose, calorie content etc but the simple fact is fruit is chock-a-block full of nutrients micro/macro and if one is to blame fruit for weight gain, then disection of the whole diet is in order before explicit blame can be made. I'll go so far as to say there are no really bad foods, just a screwed up diet or ideology.
  • candacerm
    Options
    I checked out your diary, it looks fine to me, but if you are at a plateau, you might want to search for Plateau-busting or other terms that help you push your body out of its zone. Often it is NOT cutting back on calories that does it. 1450 is kind of low, its only 200 more than most womens' BMR. Your body MIGHT be in some version of starvation or equilibrum.

Fruit has a lot of fiber, so it is hard for it to truly spike your blood sugars in the same way as fruit juice or pure sugar. There are also lots of vitamins and other things that help your metabolism and your health in general. I would not be afraid of fruits unless you are eating 8 oranges in a sitting, lol. Spreading them through the day and pairing them with a protein will help.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    So amoungst veggies and salad today (all home made with no dressings) today i've eaten...

a slice of honeydew melon
    6 strawberries
    2 plums
    a small pack of raisins
    a small handful of red grapes
    a baking apple

Will that make me fat? I just LOVE fruit and veggies so much! Not eating fruit would make me so so sad :(

That does seem a bit more than "moderation". I think most recommend moderation to be 3 - 4 servings per day.

If you like to eat a large quantity of fruit (and you do), then perhaps you can choose more of the ones that are lower in sugar: Strawberries, apples, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, papaya, peaches, watermelon, nectarines, honeydew, cantaloupe, apricots, grapefruit

Fairly high sugars:
    plums, oranges, pineapple, pears, kiwi

Very high:
    banana, cherries, grapes, tangerines, mango, figs

Keep the high sugar ones to 1 or 2 per day and choose the lower sugar more often than not.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to answer the question, "is fruit unhealthy"? The answer is NO!!! Quite the contrary! :happy:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Over eating is over eating. Fruit has calories just like any other food. Don't overdo it, stay within your calorie limit and you'll be fine.