Any Pesco Vegetarians Out There?!?!

Options
I am and I was hopping to add some friends with similar eating styles :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess no one.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but as a true veggie, calling yourself a pesco-vegetarian causes so many problems when you try to either eat out or eat at a friends. You are either a veggie or you are an omnivoir.

Steps off soap box.
  • Liteacus
    Liteacus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was a Pescatarian for years. I've been Vegan for the past 2 weeks. I love it but am still learning. I decided to be a vegan for so many reasons. Add me if you would like. =)
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but as a true veggie, calling yourself a pesco-vegetarian causes so many problems when you try to either eat out or eat at a friends. You are either a veggie or you are an omnivoir.

Steps off soap box.

Causes problems how? I have been fish only for 23 years. I never have any problems and I travel a lot. you are totes redonk.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Steps off soap box.

I find it funny when someone tells me what I am and what I'm not. I think it's cute. Step back on your soap box and tell me what I should drink, I'm dying to know :wink:
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You do realize what omnivore (there's an "e" on the end) means, right? It comes from the Latin "omni", meaning all, and "vorare", to devour. It literally means "eats everything" and is said in reference to the diet of complex organisms that are typically higher up the food chain. This person doesn't eat meat other than fish. Therefore, this person does NOT eat everything. Therefore, this person is NOT an omnivore! :) HTH!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You do realize what omnivore (there's an "e" on the end) means, right? It comes from the Latin "omni", meaning all, and "vorare", to devour. It literally means "eats everything" and is said in reference to the diet of complex organisms that are typically higher up the food chain. This person doesn't eat meat other than fish. Therefore, this person does NOT eat everything. Therefore, this person is NOT an omnivore! :) HTH!
    Interesting...I learned something new today, thanks.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I recently started a Pescatarian diet, trying to get to grips with it. Would love to have you as a friend for some support! :)
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning to Pesco :) Add me if you want :)
  • thejesspress
    thejesspress Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am! I was recently just a vegetarian for about 8 years but had some health issues-- so I'm getting used to the new addition of fish on my diet!
  • sbchee7
    sbchee7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been pescatarian for over a year now! I love it... I really only eat salmon and tilapia because they are light. There are a lot of really good recipes for them. Especially tilapia, like this (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-garlic-tilapia/detail.aspx), and its pretty low on calories.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm not truly a 100% pescatarian but about 98% of my diet fits the bill.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You do realize what omnivore (there's an "e" on the end) means, right?

I thought maye an omnivoir was a cross between au revoir and omnivore: Saying goodbye to meat. ;-)
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    I've been pescatarian since August...I eat fish probably once or twice a week, and try to get the rest of my protein from beans, nuts, & Greek yogurt. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • jimrichy
    jimrichy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not a full-on pescatarian as such. I hardly ever eat meat and I also tend to avoid dairy but I'm not strict, it's just a preference. But who needs meat when there is fish :D
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been pescatarian for about five years now, and I'm a big fan. I don't eat fish very often, maybe once every couple months. I get my protein from beans, nuts, yogurt, eggs and cheese. Add me if you like.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That would mean no person or animal is an omnivore because there's no way ever omnivore on the planet eats everything. It's referring to the fact that an omnivore eats animal flesh, veggies, and fruits. Fish are animal flesh, and therefor anyone who eats it as well as veggies and fruits are omnivorous.

Anyway, what the other member who mentioned anyone who eats no meats aside from fish not being vegetarian meant is that when someone who eats meat of any kind calls themselves a vegetarian it makes it harder for people who don't to get the right orders while they're out. They start thinking "oh well this person eats fish, and they called themselves a vegetarian, so it must mean they all do, so I can serve this person fish". It happens a lot, believe me. The term is pescetarian, not pesco-vegetarian.

There's some more good info about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism) , as well as more info on the etymology of the word itself.

For the record, I have no problems with your diet, I'm only saying this so you'll know the right term for it. Good luck finding other pescetarians on here, I'm sure there's more around.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Just call yourself a pescatarian, you're no vegetarian got that.
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Spazzymal,

I owe the thread an apology because I have actually been using the word "omnivore" incorrectly for years. I did not know that it means to consume animal and plant material - I only assumed that it meant eating all types of available animal material due to the fact that "pescetarian" is specific to fish. I think many people misuse the term this way.

But I will say that splitting hairs over whether this person is "pescetarian" or "pesco-vegetarian" is really drawing a fine line and is the kind of overbearing moralism that makes people NOT want to go vegetarian. I'm not saying this from my perspective - in fact, I ate an entirely vegetarian diet today, you can check my diary! - but I would be careful in bringing the moral "pain" as it were down on people who are just trying to do a good thing by reducing the animal product in their diet (as we should ALL try to do). If you want a truly vegetarian meal, it is up to you, and no one else, to communicate this during your visit to whatever food establishment you are patronizing. :)