Help with weight loss

Options
Hi,

I'm a 30 year old male, approx 6ft 2" in height and approx 172lbs. At the end of March I started doing a fair amount of outdoor running and then, a couple of months ago, joined the gym where i've been doing mostly cardiovascular workouts including the bike, rowing machine and treadmill. I would say that, on average, I do around 4 x 1 and 1/2 hour workouts per week, attempting to burn around 1000 calories per session.

My reasons for starting this new exercise regime was (a) to keep myself fit and in shape and because (b) i've signed up to do 2 x 10km runs in the next couple of months.

My issue at the moment is that I don't appear to be losing that much weight. My diet has improved and I drink maybe one or two nights a week - however, not to excess! I watch how many calories I consume and, on average, probably take in around 1300 a day.

Can anyone shed some light on to why i'm not seeing much in the way of improvement?

Many thanks

Sam

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    eat more. a lot more. 1300 is REALLY low for a man, especially one doing that kind of excercise.
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    I agree with kerri . . . sounds like you aren't eating enough calories. Also, 172 for a 6'2" man is a decent weight . . . so the more in the "normal" range you are the slower the weight will come off. Are you sure you want to lose weight, or do you just want to get in better shape (ie tone and build muscle)? You mind find with your stats that your end result is that you gain a bit of weight but lose inches as you add muscle and tone your body.
  • Merv268
    Merv268 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not that I am an expert but..what KIND of calories are you eating?

You should eat your largest meals earlier in the day and have dinner very light. How much weight have you lost? I hit plateau's and to get off of them (which last weeks) I have to either have a really good cheat day to re-set my metobolism or pick-up my work-out. This works for me, I hope you find your strength and keep it up. Fitness should not be a perception, you are getting fit and healthier so it's not all about size.

Keep it up and post after you 10K, would luv to hear how it went.