Might as well eat bad all day...

Options
So I've been around MFP for a while (not new here lol), but I've been in a slump lately. One of the excuses that I keep falling back on is the "I ate a crappy lunch, might as well get some ice cream, and eat at a buffet for dinner because I already screwed my whole day"....Then I eat 4000 calories that day and feel like crap. Only if you do that everyday...like I've been doing for a while now, well you won't see any results! (Except for maybe the scale going in the wrong direction)

One of my MFP friends pointed this out to me the other day, and I really liked it, so of course I googled the phrase, and thought I would share it with you all. Maybe it will hit home for some other people like it did with me who keep falling back on this excuse.

Phone-1.jpg?t=1335553599

Replies

• emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Love the picture! I used to be like this everyday. So glad I saw the MASSIVE error of my ways there. :)

It's so much easier to get back on the bandwagon when you've got a good mindset.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Haha love this!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I used to do that. Now, it's okay so I caved and ate that candy bar....out for a jog I go :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    lol. Love it. And it's so fitting!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is great. I completely understand where you are coming from. After 4 weeks of thinking like this, I have finally been back on track for 5 days now. I know you can do it too. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing the picture.
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    The other thing to remember is those calories just don't disappear. If you've consumed 400 extra calories from a bad lunch, those are all the calories you need to exercise off or deal with later. If you consume 4000 calories extra, well, you can do the math. Every day is a new day in terms of motivation and being able to "start over", but calories don't just evaporate when you go to sleep.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    :laugh: LOL that made me laugh out loud HAHAHAHAHAH:laugh: Thats so true
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Love this! Great reminder!
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You can't pick up the broken pieces and use the cell phone tomorrow. You can, however, restart your commitment to fitness.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is making me rethink the ice cream I was going to eat later. Thanks!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So I've been around MFP for a while (not new here lol), but I've been in a slump lately. One of the excuses that I keep falling back on is the "I ate a crappy lunch, might as well get some ice cream, and eat at a buffet for dinner because I already screwed my whole day"....Then I eat 4000 calories that day and feel like crap. Only if you do that everyday...like I've been doing for a while now, well you won't see any results! (Except for maybe the scale going in the wrong direction)

One of my MFP friends pointed this out to me the other day, and I really liked it, so of course I googled the phrase, and thought I would share it with you all. Maybe it will hit home for some other people like it did with me who keep falling back on this excuse.

Phone-1.jpg?t=1335553599

OMG LMFAO hahahaha. Thank you for that pic and the laugh honestly that felt good and thanks for posting this pic. Wow im still chuckling a bit, I love it right on.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Thanks!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you don't beat yourself up, you might not need to get the ice cream and the buffet. Tell yourself the crappy lunch was just that -- a crappy lunch. Close your eyes, tap your heels three times and start over right then and there. Instead of a buffet, go for a walk that evening. Progress, not perfection.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day and every meal is an opportunity to recommit yourself.

You're spinning your wheels and getting in your own way. You deserve to be healthy, you deserve to be wholesome, you deserve to be at your goal weight, you deserve to treat your body like the temple it is.

Print that picture out and put it on your fridge or your go-to junk food cabinet (I am stealing it also!)
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you don't beat yourself up, you might not need to get the ice cream and the buffet. Tell yourself the crappy lunch was just that -- a crappy lunch. Close your eyes, tap your heels three times and start over right then and there. Instead of a buffet, go for a walk that evening. Progress, not perfection.

This comment is perfection.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You know where that mindset got me? To 266 pounds. It is an incredibly hard habit to break and I've been really trying to remind myself this time that just because I've screwed up one meal isn't an excuse to ruin my whole day.
  • Metorks
    Metorks Posts: 37
    Options
    That's a great analogy. I've had days like that before, but even when I do blow it, I try to still keep my calories in the maintain-your-weight range. That way I can still feel good about not putting any more pounds back on. The biggest thing to remember is that tomorrow is a new day...every tomorrow is. As long as you can climb back up on the wagon the next morning, you'll do fine. It's when you throw in the towel that you get in trouble. All that being said, I personally believe that it's perfectly okay to go overboard every once in a while. It might not help your diet much that one day, but it will definitely help your sanity. If you need to treat yourself to a giant banana split every one in a while, do it without feeling guilty. Instead do it while accepting the fact that you won't get another one for a few weeks, you should savor every bite, and that you're going to step things up for the next few days just for good measure. I think that this is the attitude to have if you're going to keep yourself from getting completely burnt out and quitting it all.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    You know where that mindset got me? To 266 pounds. It is an incredibly hard habit to break and I've been really trying to remind myself this time that just because I've screwed up one meal isn't an excuse to ruin my whole day.

Ya, I've had this mindset for the last few months, and I gained a good 26 lbs. I've been trying to turn it around, and there was something about this phrase that just made me think "OMG DUH"...I've dropped my phone at least 20 times and I would never just break it to the point I couldn't use it just from that, so why would I completely ruin my day because of one bad meal or bad snack.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    One bad meal is just that, a bad meal, nothing else. I doesn't take away your reason for wanting to make a change, your motivation, your drive. It doesn't take away all the work you've done so far, and it doesn't say anything about how you are going to do the rest of the day, week, or month. What's the wall street quote "Past performance is no guarantee of future returns..."?

Early on in my weight loss journey, a friend who had also lost a bunch of weight told me "Having one bad day, and six good ones is still way better than the 7 bad days you used to have." I took that to heart and shrugged off any mistakes along the way. Made sticking to my plan much easier.