5 Mile Walk?

Options
2»

Replies

• RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I used to walk for exercise and watch what I ate.

Now I can run up to 6 miles at a time and I'm a hundred pounds down.

I'd say it works.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I power walk five miles a day at a 13:30 pace. (4.5 mph). It's terrific exercise. You do not need to run or jog to get the benefits. In fact they can be detrimental as they are high impact and can be hard on knees and hips. Over time you should be able to increase your pace which will help your burn more calories. Good luck!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    absolutely yes!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Don't pay no mind to co worker Shenita. 5 miles is a long way. That is freaking great!
  • torymichaels
    Options
    Heck, I'm 80 pounds lighter than you, and I can't do 5 miles in a single shot. In a day...maybe, if I break it into a 3 mile and a 2 mile walk. Hehe. Granted, I think there's something wrong with my feet at this point.

Still, walking's a great way to get started. I keep getting the itch to actually try jogging, but I'm terrified of it because of how badly my feet hurt now (hopefully the new shoes will cut into the agony this is causing me soon).
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Any movement you get will be beneficial. Keep it up!

And BTW, the guy at work is a douche-canoe.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    you will.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Heck, I'm 80 pounds lighter than you, and I can't do 5 miles in a single shot. In a day...maybe, if I break it into a 3 mile and a 2 mile walk. Hehe. Granted, I think there's something wrong with my feet at this point.

Still, walking's a great way to get started. I keep getting the itch to actually try jogging, but I'm terrified of it because of how badly my feet hurt now (hopefully the new shoes will cut into the agony this is causing me soon).

You can do it! Go to a running store (a good one, not a general sports place) and get fitted for a good pair of shoes. I'm talking about a place that will put you on a treadmill and check your gait as part of the fit. Start slow, do two miles every day for a week, then add a half mile.. Keep at it like that until you hit five, and then work on your speed. Once you're feeling good, try to do a longer walk of 10. Miles or so once a month.

Trust me, the shoes are the key. And get some double layer Wright Socks (Amazon isa a good source for those) to prevent blisters.

I do five miles almost every morning. Only four today because I've got a power yoga class in a little over an hour and needed to keep some energy!

ETA: You don't need to jog. It is high impact. Power walking burns the same calories and gives the same cardio with low to moderate as a opposed to hi impact.
  • SibyllKingsley
    Options
    I recently started walking 6 miles a day and after a week have already lost 5lbs you can do it! Although it is frustrating in the beginning, it does however make you feel amazing and healthy even after just one day.