Calorie Goal - Still too low?, or OK?

So,

I'm 27, 5'10 - 202 pounds, male & currently doing the 30 day shred with my partner (but with 5kg weights instead of the little ones) with a plan of moving onto P90X after (once I'm a bit fitter).

MFP at first set my calorie goal at 1,200..., after some searching it turned out that was totally wrong - so I upped my intake to 1,750.

I've checked online & my BMR is around 2,080 calories - but with all the conflicting information it's hard to get any concrete figures on how many calories I should be eating.

I've adjusted it again to about 1,900 now - with 30mins exercise a day should this be sufficent to ensure I'm eating enough to retain muscle mass whilst still losing weight?.

Cheers!

Replies

• Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Sounds good.. I'm with you, I really don't know how many calories to take in. I'm currently at 1200 cals, I do loose but I hope I'm not doing it the wrong way.
  • Yeah - my main concern is ensuring I don't lose muscle mass (no interesting in losing weight on the scales if it's not fat I'm losing).

My diet is pretty good (I think - open food diary)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Ensuring you don't lose muscle mass will depend on many factors. How fat are you?
  • Ensuring you don't lose muscle mass will depend on many factors. How fat are you?
    202 pounds 5'10 - so about 20/25 pounds overweight (mostly of the gut)

I don't look that fat, but I'm carrying plenty of extra weight, some of which is muscle from pervious lifting routines I've done - but I've got a belly to lose also.
  • Glucocorticoid
    If you want to retain muscle mass on a diet, 30 day shred/p90x is not the answer. How much protein are you eating?
  • If you want to retain muscle mass on a diet, 30 day shred/p90x is not the answer. How much protein are you eating?
    Around 120g a day, mostly from chicken/prawns.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Regarding your diet:
    1. Determine caloric maintenance level - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html
    2. Set caloric intake (set the deficit in your case) - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
    3. Set protein intake - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
    4. Set fat intake
    5. Set carb intake
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    If you want to retain muscle mass on a diet, 30 day shred/p90x is not the answer. How much protein are you eating?

What's your beef with P09X then, Kenny? I've seen you dismiss this before but I haven't seen you say why.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    My husband is the same height as you and was around the same weight before he lost 20lb and he lost weight on around 2000 calories a day.

As a man there is no way on this earth you should be eating 1200 calories a day or you will starve. Even 1750 is too low for a man really. I eat that every day and I am 118 lb and 5ft 3!!

Start with your BMR and see how that goes first.
  • My husband is the same height as you and was around the same weight before he lost 20lb and he lost weight on around 2000 calories a day.

As a man there is no way on this earth you should be eating 1200 calories a day or you will starve. Even 1750 is too low for a man really. I eat that every day and I am 118 lb and 5ft 3!!

Yeah, not sure why MFP said 1,200 at first .., I've upped it to about 1,900 now - did your husband exercise on those calories? - as good to have somebody of a similar height/weight to compare with!.

Cheers.,
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    My best advice is do it for a month or so and see how your body responds to it. One thing to keep in mind? You may see a gain at first as your body adjusts to the higher calorie intake. It is normal and will come back off, just be patient.

Considering I am a 5'4", 36 year old, 145-150lb female and I can easily lose weight at 2100-2200 NET calories, you MAY have to up your calories a bit to accommodate.

Have you checked online to get an idea of what your TDEE is?
  • My best advice is do it for a month or so and see how your body responds to it. One thing to keep in mind? You may see a gain at first as your body adjusts to the higher calorie intake. It is normal and will come back off, just be patient.

Considering I am a 5'4", 36 year old, 145-150lb female and I can easily lose weight at 2100-2200 NET calories, you MAY have to up your calories a bit to accommodate.

Have you checked online to get an idea of what your TDEE is?
    Well, my TDEE (according this http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) website is 3121.

My only concern is how to eat that much more than I am currently, I'm alreay 'ham fisting' in a number of high calorie snack type foods (nuts, 70% coco choc) over the day to up my calories to the 1,900 mark - while having a decent sized 3 meals a day.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    My husband is the same height as you and was around the same weight before he lost 20lb and he lost weight on around 2000 calories a day.

Yeah, not sure why MFP said 1,200 at first .., I've upped it to about 1,900 now - did your husband exercise on those calories? - as good to have somebody of a similar height/weight to compare with!.

Cheers.,

Yep- and he eats all the exercise calories too! He's now changed his goal to 0.5 lb a week and is eating 2100 for the last few lbs (he is trying to get down to 175ish lb - large framed)

1900 will be so much better for you.