drop weight, drop sizes?

Options
I realized today, that at my highest of 195 and my lowest of 165, I have always worn a size 13 juniors jeans. Now, it seems a little ridiculous to me, but maybe it's normal? Just wondering how much weight everyone lost before they went down a size?

Replies

• ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It took about 30lbs for me to start to notice a the way my jeans fit. They started to get a little loose so I bought a smaller size, and they were tight, but fit. I carry most of my weight in my lower body.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 12 pounds, but I started losing inches right away. I am down almost 2 sizes. We're all different and will lose in different areas of the body.
  • Tausheauna
    Options
    I AGREE I THINK IT DEPEND ON THE SHAPE YOU HAVE SOME PEOPLE ARE BOTTOM HEAVY AND EVEN THE POUNDS LOST DO NOT TAKE AWAY THE CLOTHES IMMEDIATELY.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also think a lot has to do with stores vanity sizing, too.

For example - I have an old pair of American Eagle jeans I bought probably about 6-7 years ago. I never wore them because they were a bit tight and then my weight had gotten worse. So they sat in my closet all these years. They are labeled a size 10, but in today's American Eagle sizing they would be a size 6.

I think if you're wearing old jeans at the moment , it will be hard to really tell how many pant sizes you've truly lost.

I would focus on your inches lost more so than the number on your jeans.
    I can be anywhere from a size 4-10 and started at about a size 14 over 70lbs ago.
  • osborn2009
    Options
    everyone is definitely different. it all depends on where you are losing all of this weight and HOW you are losing the wight. for instance if you are working out doing cardio and such or just dieting. as for me? at 180lbs i had a 35 inch waist. now at 161 lbs i have a 32 inch waist so i am seeing a different.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have droped 25 lbs but my waist hasnt changed. My 14 jeans still fit but are really saggy on the butt and legs now. I can only hope that my waist catches up as I lose more.
    I was 183 and now 157 but they still fit the waist, its annoying but time will tell a different stroy ....I can only hope
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lots of squats in the limited exercises I've been doing have clearly been the key factor in losing inches around my hips/bum, which has enabled me to drop a Jean size with 14 lb loss - from 189 to 175 at 5 ft 3 in.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    70 pounds gone

shirts 2x-3x - about a 1x

pants 24 to a very loose size 18 and just fitting size 16. i carry most of my weight in my butt, not waist which is why I can't officially move down just yet
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just realized yesterday my business slacks are all loose now. I've only lost about 8 or 9 lbs. so go figure. I haven't measured myself, so I can't really say if I've gone down a size or not. But my rings and bras are also looser. (little pissed about the bras, lol)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I AGREE I THINK IT DEPEND ON THE SHAPE YOU HAVE SOME PEOPLE ARE BOTTOM HEAVY AND EVEN THE POUNDS LOST DO NOT TAKE AWAY THE CLOTHES IMMEDIATELY.

Definitely agree. I am down 30 pounds, lots of inches and one size. (Maybe 1 in pants and 1-1.5 in dresses and skirts)

I have some clothes that are too big, and some that used to be too small that fit. I have hardly changed sizes on top, so almost all of my shirts fit fine or nearly the same, but my waist is smaller. But my bras are now too big. I am down a cup and a band.

But I carry more in my thighs (and hips) so even if it fits in the waist, it is really small in my lower body tight in the thigh.

One of the reasons I didn't really notice my weight gain (at my heaviest) was because the last 20 pounds I gained showed up a little bit in the lower body, and mostly in my torso. My clothes when from being perfect in the hips and thighs and loose in the waist to being "normal" in the waist. So basically everything fit fine.

Take measurements, be patient and you will go down in size too. I can't wait till I am a solid 14. I still have a few inches to go.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I also think a lot has to do with stores vanity sizing, too.

For example - I have an old pair of American Eagle jeans I bought probably about 6-7 years ago. I never wore them because they were a bit tight and then my weight had gotten worse. So they sat in my closet all these years. They are labeled a size 10, but in today's American Eagle sizing they would be a size 6.

I think if you're wearing old jeans at the moment , it will be hard to really tell how many pant sizes you've truly lost.

I would focus on your inches lost more so than the number on your jeans.
    I can be anywhere from a size 4-10 and started at about a size 14 over 70lbs ago.

^^This. Sizes change over time.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It depends, I could wear a size 14 at my lowest of 173 a few years ago but I also wore it at my highest of 214. Granted they were really tight at the 214 and I probably should have moved up a size, but I could get them on. But even at 170, 12's were a no go.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I went down two sizes in shirts and two sizes in pants when I lost 23 pounds pre-MFP (I lost 23 pounds due to hypothyroidism 210-187)

1x to L in shirts and size 16-12/13 in pants. After I lost all that weight I started exercising, gained 2 pounds back I can now fit into a 11 pants and I have one pair of 10 shorts that I fit into. (I've lost 3.6 pounds since joining and have been on MFP for 2 weeks)
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I gain first around my waist and I lose first around my waist, so I dropped at pant size after losing about 10 lbs.

My upper body is a totally different story. I've lost 20 lbs and I still wear the same bra size. I even went for a professional fitting to check it out. My arms, too. I don't think I've lost much from my upper arms.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yes, I agree, you start losing inches sometimes before the scale catches up with how you are looking and feeling. Where you carry your weight depends on what gland is dominant. Adrenal, gonadal, trhyroid, and petuitary. Dr. Abravanels body type can help you with this is you want to know more. YIou can do it online or in local library.
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it depends on where you carry weight. I lost a size every 10-12 lbs (from size 16 at 199 lbs, to size 4-6 at just over 140 lbs), but I carry most of my weight in my arms & upper belly, whereas my hips & legs are my smallest part, so my pants size changed a lot quicker than my shirt sizes.