Bridesmaid dress question

busymom74
busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm in a wedding for Sept. 19th and I went to order the dress yesterday. I've been dieting for a month and when I first went they said I needed an 18 dress. OUCH, well when I went yesterday the 16 was too big but the 14 was just tight enough to not zip up all the way. (YAY! Big improvement already!)

Well I'm worried because by September I'm going to lose another 30 pounds and a ton of inches. (I KNOW Im going to.) The women helping absolutly refused to let me get the smaller dress. They can only alter it up to 2 sizes down and the 16 is already too big.

I read somewhere that every 10 punds is a dress size?

What do you guys think I should do? I NEED to order my dress after work today but I'm worried. I don't want the dress to be too small but I certainly don't want it to be too big either. Which size should I get?

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    I am having the same problem. Im going to lose the weight that I want to lose and if my dress is still too big after alterations, just have a seamstress do what she can do. They just say that at bridal shops out of liability purposes. Just consult a private seamstress in your area and show her the dress and ask her if it will be able to be taken in more than 2 dress sizes. Good luck!!!!
  • I"d go with the 14 if you know for sure you going to lose the weight. If you lose more weight to get into the size 14 and it has to down down another size your safe. IF you take the 16 and lose two sizes you'd be buying another dress. Just my thought. I did that with my wedding dress I ordered the smaller size agaist the store advice got into my dress! Good luck
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    a good place to find a local seamstress is to hang around a fabric store and ask the ladies who they know that does tailoring work. any seamstress worth her salt can take in a garment as much as is needed, there is no reason a 16 can't be altered to fit you, even if you wear a 10.
    as an example: my mom is a seamstress, and she met a woman who had purchased a David's bridal $99 wedding gown. she was short, so it needed to be hemmed. a dry-cleaning place told her it would be $130 to hem her $99 dress. she was horrified, and happened to say something about it our loud when my mom was at the fabric store. my mom did the work for her for $30.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    I was pregnant and ordered a size 22 even though when I was fitted, I needed an 18. We ended up altering it WAY down but I had it done by a private seamstress. Just make sure you go to someone recommended by someone you know and give yourself some time before the wedding for a follow up alteration in case anything needs to be fixed. I think even if you order the 16, it can be altered down to what you need it BUT if you feel comfortable and confident in ordering the 14, do it! Tell them you understand the risk and you're willing to take it. Even if you have to get a super duper suck you in body shaping thingy. :laugh:
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Order the 14!!! You are already on your way. Private seamstresses(spelling??) can take it down a few sizes. Good job girl! :happy:
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    First of all, CONGRATS! :flowerforyou: Awesome improvements so far and you've got lots of time before the wedding.

I personally just had this same problem. When I first got fitted, they said I'd need a 24!! YIKES. Well, when I actually went in the order the dress my bust was an 18, waist a 22, and hips a 20 - yeah, my body is apparently shaped like a man! - anyway, they said because of the cut of the dress that I should order the 22. I KNEW I'd be losing at least another size or so before the wedding and they wouldn't let me order the 20 (at least!). So, long story short, I got the 22, when it came in, I tried it on and it FELL off of me. I then got it altered which took 3 weeks, she took out at LEAST 2.5 inches on each side and the dress was STILL too big at the wedding. My mom had to make extra darts with super safety pins so that I could look some what decent in my dress. I mean, it's good that I lost the weight, but I basically had the dress altered down 2 sizes. It was ridiculous!

Anyway, best of luck, i'd order the 14! It's more motivation and you have the time to fit into it comfortably - if not even having to have it altered.Tell them you're on a medically supervised weight loss program and that you HAVE to lose the weight. I wish I would have thought of that and just ordered the 20. OH well, live and learn.

Best of luck, congrats to you on your accomplishments so far, and I hope it all works out! Keep up the great work! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Sounds like there are a few of us with the same situation (I hesitate to call it a "problem") :happy: I measured for an 18, and I didn't have the opportunity to try any dresses on, so I went with the 16 and as my caption states: I'm saving to have the dress altered. I honestly don't care what it costs me - - just take that baby in! :bigsmile: I'm tall, so I'm hoping that the size will allow for a little extra length in the torso - I already paid for extra length. I've sewn since I was 10 years old, but I won't do my own alterations - and yes, a seamstress should be able to do any alterations needed!! Alter away!! Yay for us!!!
  • busymom74
    O.k. I'm gonna order the 16 and find a seamstress. I had no clue they could alter it more. I was just going by what they told me at David's bridal.

Plus I was worried about the cost of the alteration. The dress alone is $130 and the bride picked out $50 shoes. I will NEVER wear these again!! Unless I'm in another wedding where they want an apple red dress with do-dad's on the top that's being discontinued at the end of the week. lol Who knows.

Thanks everyone! While I am confident I'll lose the weight I was still unsure. Now I want to lose the weight to prove her wrong. lol

Oh and she wasn't very nice, she told me not to lose too much weight and there won't be a problem. Who says that?? I'm not a skinny minnie either so...
  • busymom74
    Oh, wait, I changed my mind. I hopped on the scale and it says there's a 3 lbs loss since last thursday so i'm getting the 14. I'll fit! Plus it'll motivate me TONS.
This discussion has been closed.