Help with BMR...

Options
Can someone answer this question? I just checked my BMR on this site (mfp) and it tells me that my BMR is 1141.

I went on two other sites and it said my BMR is 1329.

On all the sites, they asked me my age, height and weight. How can they be so different than MFP. It didn't ask about sedentary or exercise. This was just my BMR..

What the heck?????

Thanks
Issy

Replies

• jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think your activity needs to be factored in for it to really help. So if you were to lay in bed all day, you would maintain your current weight by eating 1329 calories.

Google: Harris Benedict formula. I saw someone post this to help find more information about how many calories you should be consuming. I did the math, and it made sense for me.

So I am at: 182 lbs, 5’-5.5” = 1585.35 BMR

I take that and Multiply by 1.55 (because i am moderately active 3-5 times a week) =
    I would eat 2457.29 calories to maintain my current weight

Subtract 1,000 calories (because I want to lose 2 lbs a week) = 1457.29 calories is what I should consume to lose 2lbs a week. It lines right up with MFP has me doing. And when I do that, it works!

KEEP in mind that it is ALL a guessing game especially when you factor in hormones! Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can someone answer this question? I just checked my BMR on this site (mfp) and it tells me that my BMR is 1141.

I went on two other sites and it said my BMR is 1329.

On all the sites, they asked me my age, height and weight. How can they be so different than MFP. It didn't ask about sedentary or exercise. This was just my BMR..

What the heck?????

Thanks
    Issy
    Sedentary and all that is for tdee and not bmr. Make sure you distinguish that or the calc will be off. Also all online ones are estimates based on general population. I found fat2fit.com to be good. Now if you have your body fat it improves accuracy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think your activity needs to be factored in for it to really help. So if you were to lay in bed all day, you would maintain your current weight by eating 1329 calories.

Google: Harris Benedict formula. I saw someone post this to help find more information about how many calories you should be consuming. I did the math, and it made sense for me.

So I am at: 182 lbs, 5’-5.5” = 1585.35 BMR

I take that and Multiply by 1.55 (because i am moderately active 3-5 times a week) =
    I would eat 2457.29 calories to maintain my current weight

Subtract 1,000 calories (because I want to lose 2 lbs a week) = 1457.29 calories is what I should consume to lose 2lbs a week. It lines right up with MFP has me doing. And when I do that, it works!

KEEP in mind that it is ALL a guessing game especially when you factor in hormones! Good luck.

Just because you want to lose 2 lbs per week doesn't mean its possible or healthy. You dont have much to lose and to eat that little will mean muscle loss not fat loss. At your weight and height you should be at 1 lb per week and concentrate on weight training if you want that hot in a bathing suit look. Eating below your bmr will slow your metabolism and can lead to a plateau.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just because you want to lose 2 lbs per week doesn't mean its possible or healthy. You dont have much to lose and to eat that little will mean muscle loss not fat loss. At your weight and height you should be at 1 lb per week and concentrate on weight training if you want that hot in a bathing suit look. Eating below your bmr will slow your metabolism and can lead to a plateau.

^^^^ This...
  • Deeranged1
    Deeranged1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use fat2fit.com I think this gives the best info.