[Off Topic] Happy Cows

Options
O.K. guys.... I just need to vent about something...:grumble:

I was taking a break and watching some TV the other day when one of those "Happy Cows Come from California" commercials came on. Normally I take these with a gain of salt, but this one really got under my skin. It totally made fun of the Wisconsin "accent" (although it really was nothing near what it really sounds like), and hinted around to the fact that we mistreat our animals here.

Yeah, I know, this probably sounds really stupid to everyone here, but it really tends to hit home with me since I was born and raised on a dairy farm in northern WI. Heck... our cows were treated really well.... the saying at our house was, "the cows get to eat before you do!" --- that meant getting up really early in the morning to do chores. :ohwell:

:grumble: I just don't understand the point of these commercials. :grumble:

Replies

• His_Kelly
    Options
    O.K. guys.... I just need to vent about something...:grumble:

I was taking a break and watching some TV the other day when one of those "Happy Cows Come from California" commercials came on. Normally I take these with a gain of salt, but this one really got under my skin. It totally made fun of the Wisconsin "accent" (although it really was nothing near what it really sounds like), and hinted around to the fact that we mistreat our animals here.

Yeah, I know, this probably sounds really stupid to everyone here, but it really tends to hit home with me since I was born and raised on a dairy farm in northern WI. Heck... our cows were treated really well.... the saying at our house was, "the cows get to eat before you do!" --- that meant getting up really early in the morning to do chores. :ohwell:

:grumble: I just don't understand the point of these commercials. :grumble:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Aw! I hear you....you know advertising....sigh....they sometimes take things to the extreme...

and I also know I HATE hearing fake Boston accents too....even the movie stars who were born here put on this think omg I don't know what you'd call it when they are playing a boston part....so I feel you on that note too!

lol...you just have to laugh...or even better turn that dial! :devil:
    hugs!
    Ali
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian- we get made fun of...........well, about EVERYTHING! LOL
    Apparently we live in igloo's and go around with a beer in one hand and saying "Eh?" to everyone, while adjusting our toque (hat) with the other hand, and have snow squalls in july LOL
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Try living in Arkanasas where everyone thinks we still have outhouses, stills, and marry our immediate family members. :laugh: Of course we do have all of the above and then some........:embarassed: hehehe
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The first time I met my half sister (long story) she came to Texas from Ohio and thought she was going to get off the plane and see people traveling on horseback and covered wagons and she was already an adult. That's the power of Television and Movies!!!

Memaw
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Well then maybe you shoud all come ta maine. We say everything in a manna that sounds like we jus don know how ta talk. We paak ah caaa's in the yaaaa'd and we neva eat in restrints! We have ta git up every day to face the bad weatha. Now I aint complainin Im jus tellin ya like it is. If this dont gitcha nothin's gonna gitcha. I swaaa this is how people talk when they mock the Maine accent. Well gonna go to the kitchn now and get sumpin to eat. Have a gud day! Oh ya and I gutta maka roast for dinna and may have some left for suppa too! hehheheh
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Well I took marketing/advertising in college and I would say based on your grudge against it that that commercial IS A TOTAL SUCCESS.

If you can remember the commercial and then tell around about it so that they can remember it, those advertisers did a job well done.

Advertising is a very tricky business and even its rules are only guidelines. Not everything has to be totally true and accurate but it definitely needs to be effective.

try to not let it get under you or offend you. I have seen one too many commercials that should piss me off but I try to overlook them.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Well then maybe you shoud all come ta maine. We say everything in a manna that sounds like we jus don know how ta talk. We paak ah caaa's in the yaaaa'd and we neva eat in restrints! We have ta git up every day to face the bad weatha. Now I aint complainin Im jus tellin ya like it is. If this dont gitcha nothin's gonna gitcha. I swaaa this is how people talk when they mock the Maine accent. Well gonna go to the kitchn now and get sumpin to eat. Have a gud day! Oh ya and I gutta maka roast for dinna and may have some left for suppa too! hehheheh

lol
  • brendab
    Options
    Actually,
    cows live across the (dirt)road from me! I think the accent of the WI cow is cute, not weird. I've always thought it was sort of cool that we all live in the same country, and have so many divierse accents; that just me I guess :smile:
    Of course everyone makes fun of my Texan twang on my travels. Oh well:wink:
    I understand what you are saying, there are many commercials that get under my skin too!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I dont know which specific "Happy "Cows" commercial you are talking about, but I never thought they were trying to say that people in WI mistreat theirs cows - only that the weather is better in winter here!! Thats why the cows are Happy! The accent is ridiculous, bit I guess they have to go over the top with it so people "get it".
    No offense meant from us in CA!!!!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    We are a host family for exchange students from around the world. I am amazed at the preconceived ideas they have about Americans. According to them, we are all religious fanatics that run around in bathing suits and tan in Malibu. :laugh: They get their information from shows like Seventh Heaven, The OC, Bay Watch, etc.

That being said, I'd like to put in a plug for being a host family. :wink: It's been an awesome experience for my entire family, extended as well as immediate, and the girls and boys we have hosted have been wonderful. You can find out about this by going to google and looking up "exchange student programs" or contacting your school.

Exchange students normally gain 20 to 40 pounds when they get here and I'm pleased to say that because of my example of exercise and healthy eating, my exchange daughter this year quickly lost the 10 pounds she gained when she first arrived. And my own daughter now consistently does 30 minutes of some kind of exercise every day. :happy:
  • abetterme
    Options
    I totally understand. Husband and I run a small dairy farm and it upsets us both when those "Happy Cow" commercials come on.

We froze our butts off this morning for those cows and we hadn't eaten yet either. Got to take care of the cows before you do anything for yourself.

Lisa
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - my inlaws raise cows (not dairy though) and those commercials kind of irritate me. I do think they mostly refer to the nicer weather though. And you all should come to Montana - you know we still have covered wagons here and all live in cabins we made out of logs! And have outhouses and no electricity (how am I even on this computer?? Must have found a current bush . . . :laugh: ) lol!
  • megan0313
    Options
    I'm from Pittsburgh and pretty used to being teased about my 'accent' although I swear I don't have one, LOL! As far as the Happy Cow commercials, I never really understood the point anyway. It's not like I go to my grocery store and look for milk from California. I don't get any of those commercials and pretty much ignore them. :drinker: (That's me drinking Wisconsin milk :happy: )
    Anyway, as we say in the 'burgh,
    Yinz guys have a good day n'at! :flowerforyou:
    Megan