Minimalist Running Shoes vs Plantar Fasciitis

Will it ever be possible for me to transition to minimalist running? I adore running barefoot, but the pain it causes is unbearable. I was hoping it would go away as I lost weight, but I'm down to 180 and it's still causes inflammation that feels akin to my heel being made up of crushed glass. Without shoes, I never heel strike, it's all forefront. I have yet to find a shoe that offers enough arch support to avoid an inflammation but also enough flexibility to avoid heel striking.
Is this just something I need to accept isn't possible and move on? Or can it be done with the right type of shoe/stretches/weightloss?

Replies

• acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    bump!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    bump!
    I'm really interested to see the replies. I have a really high arch and with or without shoes, my feet always hurt. Good luck to you!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    I have horrible PF - I've been using the New Balance Minimus shoes. They are a little more supportive than a VFF, but still a minimalist shoe with lots of flexibility. I've been wearing them just casually for a few months to build my foot strength up, and only last week started doing fast walking in them on the treadmill. It is really amazing the weird muscles that are sore the next day -- in my feet! But no PF flare up yet! I am taking it very slowly though and am nowhere near ready to attempt running again. I will say this - just walking in them, they feel so much better than my running shoes because I do adjust my stride and stop pounding on my heel.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Will it ever be possible for me to transition to minimalist running? I adore running barefoot, but the pain it causes is unbearable. I was hoping it would go away as I lost weight, but I'm down to 180 and it's still causes inflammation that feels akin to my heel being made up of crushed glass. Without shoes, I never heel strike, it's all forefront. I have yet to find a shoe that offers enough arch support to avoid an inflammation but also enough flexibility to avoid heel striking.
    Is this just something I need to accept isn't possible and move on? Or can it be done with the right type of shoe/stretches/weightloss?

I would say check out different types of minimalist shoes. I have used vibrams and found I ended up having more foot problems. I'm flat footed though, not sure what you are. I find I just can't use them for running (love my vibrams for just everyday use though).

My husband (who has an arch) has used both vibram and is now using Newtons. He found the Vibrams to be too minimalist and caused him some problems. He has switched to Newton which offers a bit more support and cushion, but is built minimalist and still forces the forefront running, and he LOVES them. Good luck!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Weeeeeeeell.. There are a few different theories I've heard about that.

Some people argue that not everyone is built to handle barefoot/minimalist running, and that some people will always have issues with things like high arches and lack of muscle support. Some people argue the opposite, that all it takes to overcome that is time, and very, very gradual adjustment.

How often do you go barefoot? Do you just try and do it for running only?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Have you tried the Brooks Pure project shoes? They are 0 drop so they are like wearing a shoe, but less likely to heel strike. Just a thought.

The book Run Bare has great information about transitioning, how to condition your feet, legs etc to make it work better for you.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    I've suffered from plantar fasciitis for years. I'm not a runner but I love to walk a lot and my feet would always hurt so bad that the pain would travel up my leg as I'd go. A Merrell store opened near me a couple of years ago and I gave their shoes a try and I haven't bought another brand since. I don't need insoles anymore with any of the shoes I've bought - flats, winter boots, sneakers, hiking shoes, work shoes - I've gone for some long walks in these various shoes and feel amazing in them. They may not be for everyone, and they are expensive, but maybe give them a try and see if it helps you like it did for me.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en?grp=B
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member

How often do you go barefoot? Do you just try and do it for running only?

Per my doctor's suggestion, I'm trying to wear shoes more often, but I'm still a barefoot hippie at the core. I still kick them off as soon as I get home, but at least I'm putting on actual shoes when I go out...most of the time. I have noticed that if I'm walking for a few hours, nowadays, and I don't wear sneakers, my heel is sore the next day. I'm resigned to wearing shoes on a day to day now, but for running, it just feels so much more comfortable and I have so much more endurance when I skip the shoes. But the pain is so bad the next day that I've only done it twice in the last six months. Just my left heel, too. Right one is peachy as can be.
    Doc's diagnoses was to put high-arch shoes on before I get out of bed in the morning, leave them on all day, and don't run. However, she also told me to give HCG a try, so I don't trust anything she said and she's no longer my doc.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I have been seeing an osteopath for my foot. He is also a runner and I have talked to him about different shoe types a lot. He says really, whatever your weight (I weigh around 120) you are better off with cushioning. I run with minimalist off road shoes if it's really muddy and I am running completely off road, but in general, I agree with him.