Protein Bars...HELP!!!

Options
Please help me! I'm tired of wasting money on nasty protein bars. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• anunknownmouse
    Options
    Easy. Eat whole food protein sources. Meat, fish, beans, eggs, etc. Ta da!
  • Jenniriggins
    Jenniriggins Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I actually try to get my protein that way but I spend most of my work day in the car so I wanted something to grab if what I packed for lunch/dinner wasn't enough! Trying to not get tempted by fast food:smile:
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to find a recipe for a protein bar or a healthy but tasty granola bar. I know most that you buy just are not very good.:sad:
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Tinned salmon, sardines, herring, etc are all good portable protein sources and good back-ups with Omega-3s to boot! I would be hesitant to advise canned tuna though, for mercury reasons it shouldn't really compromise a large part of your diet.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ha I hear ya. I wish my car would come complete with a kitchen. But since it doesnt and travel for work as well, I typically eat Pure Protein Bars. There's plenty of flavors which I consider yummy and they are lower in fat and higher in protein than most. Hope this helps.
  • Jenniriggins
    Options
    Yes it does...thank you! There is only so much you can throw in a car so a back up is always good!
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love the Clif Builder's protein bars. The chocolate and chocolate mint are great. I also like the peanut butter one. They are 270 calories each and they are big. I typically cut mine in half and will eat half for a snack and save the rest for another snack or another day. Enjoy!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/snacksstreetfood/r/quinoagranolabars.htm

I think you should try these and bring us all back the results. I am trying another this weekend and I will post here when I am done.

Good Luck! and Happy Friday!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Quest Protein Bars are really good.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love the Clif Builder's protein bars. The chocolate and chocolate mint are great. I also like the peanut butter one. They are 270 calories each and they are big. I typically cut mine in half and will eat half for a snack and save the rest for another snack or another day. Enjoy!

I just recently tried these and I agree. I probably would never have tried them, except I got a free sample. Now they're my current favorite.
  • destiniwells
    Options
    Luna Bars are my favorite. I especially love the chocolate raspberry and white chocolate macadamia flavors. Yumm!
  • blueeyejersey
    blueeyejersey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Kellog's protein bars. They have a few different flavors, they are easy to grab and go. Most have 180 calories and 10g protein.
  • barenda_101
    Options
    I actually like the taste of Clif Builder's Bars. Not the cheapest option, but they go fantastic with black coffee and you can get them in for less at amazon.com or costco.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    there was a really simple recipe in NROLFW which i'm sure was just peanut butter, chocolate whey powder and water mixed then chilled.
  • Jenniriggins
    Options
    Very excited to try some new ones...thanks everyone!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Very excited to try some new ones...thanks everyone!

Pack a little cooler for your car with healthy mini meals. Maybe that will help and save money too
  • DarleneBl
    DarleneBl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Special K bars - 10 grams of protein, 170 calories. My favorite is the Carmel chocolate. Also, Atkins indulge bars are good and also only 170 calories. My favorite is the coconut chocolate. I forget to eat and carry these all the time in my purse if I'm going to be away from good foods. I also carry 1/4 cup of almonds with me. It's a great protein snack on the run.
  • Izzyd1979
    Izzyd1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    EAS Myoplex has a bunch of varieties with different calorie/carb levels... and they are pretty yummy. Ditto for their protein shakes!
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    theres so many easy homemade protein bar recipes, just google it and choose one! you can substitute your own ingredients, make them more specific to what you like, fruit, dark chocolate, peanut butter, greek yogurt, even cream cheese, so much cheaper!
  • rhonnie66
    rhonnie66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Life Choice they are very good with 21g of protein and only 190 cals, great flavors too!