Healthy chips & guacamole

Options
elfo
elfo Posts: 353 Member
IMG_2845.jpg

I love this recipe! I used a food dehydrater for the chips, but I think you could easily do the same in the oven.

Chips: Take 2 zucchinis, thinly slice, then dehydrate over night (they will get smaller when you cook, so not too thin)

Guacamole: take a ripe avocado and smash up with the bottom end of a fork. Then add in half a diced vine ripe tomato, then some chopped cilantro (~1-2 springs) and some chopped red onion. Salt to taste and Voila!

A healthy (raw) version of Chips & Guacamole at 344 calories (as pictured)

Replies

• Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, BUT I would definitely add the juice of one lime to the guac and probably more cilantro!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    great idea to use zucchini chips! i love, love, love guacamole and always make it for parties, but could never think of a better way to serve it. now i have one, so thanks!

your presentation looks so nice also, like a magazine :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    And I would add that that guac recipe needs some chile!! For weaklings use 1 chopped jalepeno, but if you can handle the heat use serranos. Yummy, yummy.
  • elfo
    Options
    Sounds delicious, BUT I would definitely add the juice of one lime to the guac and probably more cilantro!

Yeah good point for the cilantro -- I meant bunch not spring (I think)
  • elfo
    Options
    You're so right- I love just the taste of the avocado so I never add chile, but I do when I serve for others

Thanks guys!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    IMG_2845.jpg

I love this recipe! I used a food dehydrater for the chips, but I think you could easily do the same in the oven.

Chips: Take 2 zucchinis, thinly slice, then dehydrate over night (they will get smaller when you cook, so not too thin)

Guacamole: take a ripe avocado and smash up with the bottom end of a fork. Then add in half a diced vine ripe tomato, then some chopped cilantro (~1-2 springs) and some chopped red onion. Salt to taste and Voila!

A healthy (raw) version of Chips & Guacamole at 344 calories (as pictured)

Yum!!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    what do the chips actually taste like?
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    do you salt the chips or use olive oil on them or anything?
  • elfo
    Options
    what do the chips actually taste like?

They're great alone, with the guacamole they actually taste like torilla chips
  • elfo
    Options
    do you salt the chips or use olive oil on them or anything?

I don't salt the chips, when you dehydrate they get concentrated, so I don't think you need to. No oil in the dehydrater, but if you're using an oven maybe a light spray of Olive oil would be best.
  • lin7604
    Options
    really... but i don't have a dehydrater :( so i wonder how long to cook them in the oven? i wonder if they will taste the same then too?
  • elfo
    Options
    In the oven I would say 350'F for like 15-20' but you should make sure you turn them or one side will be crunchy and the other a bit soggy.

I think I got my dehydrater for like $25 at amazon and I love it I make apple chips and dried pine apple and dried herbs, and so many other great things. The best part is that you get all the nutrients but the food stores longer.
  • lin7604
    Options
    ya i was going to get one a long time ago and then kept reading that dried fruits contain more sugar then eating it fresh, so i did;'t get one and just ate my fruit fresh... thx i will give this a try, i love guac and pico...
  • elfo
    Options
    well they don't "really" have more sugar-- one apple has the same sugar dried or not-- it's just how much you eat of it- meaning if you eat 2 dehydrated apples obviously it will have more sugar than 1 regular apple. I like it for veggies - like the chips-- they are VERY low in calories (and sugar), but I should warn you it does take a long time- I usually do mine in the evening overnight and also some people find the "humming" noise annoying - for me it just gets drowned in the background.
    I sometimes use fresh Endive for for dips like this. Then you don't worry about the "drying"

Also-- I should say-- I don't like to eat a whole apple b/c of the sugar but with the chips I can eat a couple slices to get my sugar fix and I'm good so a whole apple can last me a couple of days- can't do that with a fresh apple ;)
  • lin7604
    Options
    ya your right i guess it was more so that you end up eating more and they are less filling then eating the actual thing...