What to say when people comment on your weight?

Options

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Maybe just tell them that you also have very little chance of contracting diabetes, heart disease, or high colestorol. Tell them you'll take the no butt and no boobs over a greater chance of dying prematurely. Or just smile and say, "Thank you, I'm becoming happier with my body every day and you are not a determining factor in that happiness."
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You could say, "What are you looking at my boobs and butt for?" Or "thanks for noticing!"
    Even if you had more to lose, I wouldn't let them know your plan. Just tell them you aren't losing anymore. Maybe they will be quiet.

Enjoy your new self! :)
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just smile and go "heh" most of the time. I'm freaking normal, but people seem to want to tell me otherwise.
  • Rollingstone74
    Options
    You have to realise your beauty and health achievements and disregard any comments that negate the truth. You will never please society today, so many people are hung up on trends, opinions, that they feel the need to try and enforce what they interpertate as socially acceptable. Returning fire with a smart remark isn't the answer and as you are asking a forum for advice on this, it's obviously not in your character, and can't see it as a positive trait to add. Just be strong and be your true self, your own pride should be enough to overpower the negative generated by hollow souls. On a lighter side, regarding breast, IMO, anymore than a mouthful is a waste (80~
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Maybe just tell them that you also have very little chance of contracting diabetes, heart disease, or high colestorol. Tell them you'll take the no butt and no boobs over a greater chance of dying prematurely. Or just smile and say, "Thank you, I'm becoming happier with my body every day and you are not a determining factor in that happiness."

I like this one!
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    . On a lighter side, regarding breast, IMO, anymore than a mouthful is a waste (80~

LOL :D
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I know. It's totally not in my personality to be rude back. I was always teased growing up so its next to impossible for me to be mean without feeling horrible guilt....but I just want to come out on top of the haters. I wish I was good with saying things that shows them that I am bigger than their cruel words.

I should try the "Wow. That was rude" comment.
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to regulate my damn self-esteem too. I feel like I should be beaming and feeling beautiful with my new body and confidence but people always shoot it down.... :(

Don't let what others day bring you down!! You SHOULD be beaming and feeling beautiful...losing weight is not an easy accomplishment but you've done it and, from your picture, you look great! It is time to "strut your stuff" :wink: .

I usually find that when people make rude remarks that it is because they have an agenda (whether they realize it or not!). Such as, somene may want to lose weight or may just not be happy with the way they look and, when they see that you've lost weight and are happy, they say a negative comment...that is "misery loving company". The only person who mentioned my weight gain was a person who had just lost weight herself...I think it made her feel that much better about her weight loss to know that I looked that much bigger!! My hubby needs to lose a few pounds and a guy he knew commented on his heavy tummy...yet this guy was no "Slim Jim" himself. There are so many complex issues around weight/weight loss/weight gain that most people deal with that we have to ignore others' projections and rude comments and keep focused on how far we've come, how happy we are with our looks and becoming healthier in general.

Personally, I wouldn't comment back to any negative remark...that is feeding right into what a that person wants to hear. If you want to say anything, I would just say to stay positive. Something like, "I'm happy with my progress, my body and my health" :smile: .
  • xandreinax
    Options
    Totally agreed !!! DON'T LET NO ONE STOP YOU! ... just laugh show them you don't care ... tell them while you laugh "thanks i guess will have to start saving money to get a boob job" and walk away... life is too short to let people steal your happiness

Sticks and stones :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    I;m really good at letting others steal my happiness. I'm working on it though.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Unless you were in an accident that chopped off your digits, I'll assume you have full use of your hands and fingers. Try raiding your hand in front of your face and slowly extending the middle finger. Repeat as needed.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am not happy with my nonexistent boobs and butt. It's a HUGE self-concious issue for me...and when people point it out and think it's funny....is not acceptable to me. :(

Some people are mean and cannot feel good about themselves unless they are belitting others for some perceived fault. The best thing to do is to laugh at them and walk away. Don't say anything mean in return. Just laugh like they've said the funniest thing ever, and walk away, then ignore them. It'll pop their little egos like balloons.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I;m really good at letting others steal my happiness. I'm working on it though.

You shouldn't be.

You really lost from 292 pounds to 154? You may be one of the strongest-willed human beings I have ever had the pleasure to encounter. The thought of losing nearly half your body weight is something I cannot even contemplate. You are an inspiration, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise!
  • xandreinax
    Options
    "slowly lifting finger ....." LOVED IT ....

c'mon sunshine if you don't love yourself and get self conscious of how amazingly gorgeous you are and the goal you have reach by loosing with hard work that much weight people will keep stepping on you ... and THAT is a shame ...

if you want add me i will support you and try to make you laugh :)
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    slowly extending the middle finger. Repeat as needed.

Bwaha! I love it!

I'm working on the whole not hating myself bit. It's so HARD :(
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    "slowly lifting finger ....." LOVED IT ....

c'mon sunshine if you don't love yourself and get self conscious of how amazingly gorgeous you are and the goal you have reach by loosing with hard work that much weight people will keep stepping on you ... and THAT is a shame ...

if you want add me i will support you and try to make you laugh :)

You're sweet! Thank you <3
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place. Snarkasm (snarky + sarcasm) is my thing.

Nice

Thank you so much for noticing.
    I have really been working hard
    That means a lot to me.

Not so nice - I say stuff like this to friends I can joke with. If you get a black eye from someone, its your own fault :)

I know right! Boy you aren't getting any skinnier though.
    If you wanted to lose those extra 40, I could show you some stuff that I did when I was extremely out of shape.
    Pretend to wipe a crumb off of them and say, "I just thought it was time to stop being a slob".
    I think the reason I worked so hard is because people are always putting my body shape down.
    It was either boobs and butt or heart disease, but you are looking curvy!

This is the best for a comeback! Had me laughing right back!
    Some people are just jealous and want to have your body instead of their own. Comments like that should just roll off your shoulder and not make you feel worse. Live your life the way you want and be happy for you.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I would tell them what you said here about BMI. Let them know you could still be x number of pounds lighter and still be healthy. Or tell them your doctor recommended losing some more.

You could also tell them its about being healthy. When you eat right and exercise, weight loss is a side effect and it will eventually stop when your body is in a good balance. You're just letting it do its thing!
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Pretend to wipe a crumb off of them and say, "I just thought it was time to stop being a slob"
    La-la-love this!
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions....but I still would like a few snarky ones for the two select people who torment me.