What's first, cardio or strength?

If youre doing both in the same day, Is there a proper/better order.....cardio before strength? Strength before cardio? Maybe a stupid question but I don't know the answer or the reason behind it!

Replies

• jessicaoliver79
    jessicaoliver79 Posts: 28 Member
    I was always told to start and fiinish with cardio.. everything else falls in between :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    always do strength first that way you can utilize more energy to build muscle... but do abdominal training after cardio because you dont want core muscles fatigued because for cardio you need those stability muscles.. weights>cardio>abs

this does not include a warm up with cardio that you can do for like 5 mins just to get blood pumping before you hit the weights.
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    I've heard strength before cardio, so you're able to give 100% during the strength. Your HR does go hope when you're working out the large muscles, so you're getting a bit of a cardio workout as well.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    i do them on separate days cos i find after strength training i completely exert myself and can not hardly run.
    make sure to warm up and then stretch afterwards :)
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    I got told to do them on different days, as the body fights to repair itself ?

(Although you can perform cardio every day if you want, give muscle groups a 24-hour break from strength training for best results. )

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338492-cardio-exercises-before-strength-training/#ixzz1tHvFEhD0
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    always do strength first that way you can utilize more energy to build muscle... but do abdominal training after cardio because you dont want core muscles fatigued because for cardio you need those stability muscles.. weights>cardio>abs

this does not include a warm up with cardio that you can do for like 5 mins just to get blood pumping before you hit the weights.

This is what I have always been told too :)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Thanks everyone!
    That makes total sense now that I read it, not sure why it wasn't occurring to me on my own!
  • Also, it feels horrible doing weights after cardio, sweat dripping off your face and leaving sweat patches on the seats of the weight machines. Yuck! I started out like this, and found I'd get really cold after the first rep of weights, purely cause my t-shirt would be soaking after cardio!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    I've heard strength before cardio. Unfortunately, after lifting heavy, I have a hard time getting my cardio going unless I have a class. So if I decide to do both on the same day, I plan my strength before an aerobics class. But if there is no class and I am doing weights and cardio, I end up doing cardio first or just skip it altogether. For me, it's all about motivation.