The guy in the apartment above me....

Options
I live in a six story apartment, my boyfriend and I live on the first floor. The guy upstairs is loud, and by loud I mean stomping around from 2am-4am, exercising as early as 9am (jumping jacks, aerobics of any stort) and it drives us absolutely insane! We work midnight shifts so we generally like to sleep until 10-11am the following day, but with the guy upstairs jumping around at 9am, we can't sleep!!

We've tried talking to him, and that works for about a week but than it starts up again. We don't know what else to do because we also don't want to be rude, but we just can't stand this any longer!

It's an old building so his exercises sound like somebody stomping repeatedly, this goes on for about 30min-1hr.

We don't know what to do, does anybody have any tips for us? =]

Replies

• sugasweetie520
    Options
    I wish I could help :( The people upstairs from me and my boyfriend have a dog that insists on running around ALL night long. And it constantly sounds like they are bowling with refrigerators up there. so frustrating.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    That suuuuucks.

I deal with the opposite issue. I live on a college campus so parties are a given but still... I shouldn't FEEL the parties! And we are on the top floor!

ugh it's irritating but fans work wonders.
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    my friend jonah and i were watching Lilo and Stitch at his apartment the other day and we had to turn up the volume because his neighbors were like having HARDCORE sex in the room over. like literally, the tv mounted on the wall was shaking and we had to turn up the volume. there was like loud yelling, moaning, the screeching of the bed and arms and legs hitting and thumping against the wall. we were like "holy FACH!!"
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Move to a house or buy earplugs. That's sort of the deal with apartments. You have to live around your neighbors noise. It's not fair to him to miss exercise because youre on a different schedule. So... You have to adapt around one another.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Talk to him again andif that doesn't work bang on your ceiling with a broom stick and yell "Do you mind?" when he starts.

I get what another poster said about being in an apartment and having to work around someone else's noise ow ever your neighbors sould be mindful of what they do as well. You've talked to him, he didn't listen. I lived on the second floor of an apartment and I made sure I did't stomp, wear shoes etc. so I didn't disturb my downstairs neighbor even though she was a deaf old lady.

Sure you have to live with noisy neighbors but the need to be cognizant of what they are doing and the fact they are being obnoxious too.

Good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Move to a house or buy earplugs. That's sort of the deal with apartments. You have to live around your neighbors noise. It's not fair to him to miss exercise because youre on a different schedule. So... You have to adapt around one another.

That's fine but your neighbors need to be mindful as well. It's common courtesy. Not only that but they spoke to him so he knows he's being loud and he continues to do it. That's to cool.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Get a good white noise machine and some earplugs. And an alarm with a function that will vibrate to wake you up.

Seriously though, if you've tried talking to him and didn't get a positive result, go to your apartment management and complain. They should look into it. In some apartments management will let a person know they can be evicted if they consistently interfere with another tenant's ability to use/enjoy the property they are paying to use/enjoy. Just beware possible retaliation.
  • starcharm3
    Options
    can you turn on some music to drown him out?
    can you hear him in every room? can you switch rooms until he is done exercising?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i HAD neighbors that had sex very loudly. No one will hear from them again...i mean they moved somewhere else shortly thereafter
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How much longer on your lease? Otherwise, I would suggest a noise cancelling machine. Or earplugs. You are right that he should be aware of the noise, but there is only so much he can do. We moved out of an apartment once because the sound of the dogs fingernails on the upstairs tile was making me insane. Is it possible to move to aa top floor apartment?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    we live upstairs, we try to keep it quiet, especially since we're night owls. We wont do insantiy, or P90x or 30DS cause of the jumping. We try to not slam the cabinet doors, we dont yell, cuss and rarely talk loudly.

the only complaint in the 6 years we've been here, and we've had 7 different downstairs neighbors is our cats run up and down the hallway chasing eachother at like 2am. We try to get them to cut it out but..they're cats, so squirt bottles only go so far.

In apartment living, you need to walk a fine line between being respectful of your neighbor and their schedules/temperments and standing your ground for unreasonable requests. Its community living, but everyone and i mean EVERYONE should understand taht and make compromises.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's not really his fault you work that shift. I can sympathize that it's annoying, but 9am is fair game. The middle of the night stuff is not cool, though.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you cant stand people around you DONT LIVE AN APARTMENT SETTING geez
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Does your apartment complex have a gym? Maybe suggest he go there? If not, well... 9am is kind of fair game. :(
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Where I live we report issues like that to our builiding manager, who then issues formal warnings to the tenants - three strikes and you are out!!

We actually have on-site security from 10pm to 6am, so if there are issues during those hours we phone him and he goes and sorts it out with the people immediately, and then report it to the building manager the next morning....

Do you have a building manager, or super that can get involved?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    If you cant stand people around you DONT LIVE AN APARTMENT SETTING geez

That's not what she's saying. He stomps around a t ungodly hours. They work the midnight shift and sleep until 11. There has to be some give and take when you live in an apartment. I was very cognizant of how loud I talked, how loud my tv was etc when I lived in apartment. It's common courtesy.
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    Talk to your landlord.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It sucks.

We have the same issue, lady above us stomps around like an elephant, drags her chairs on her hardwood floor at all hours, wears shoes in the condo. Unfortunately we bought our condo and this didn't start happening until about 2 months in. So now we'll have to wait a few more years until we can afford to buy a townhouse or detached house.

All you can do is talk to the building manager or strata.

I feel your pain though.

We've wanted to leave lysol cookies for our upstairs neighbour (kidding :tongue: )

And what's worse is we HAVE to been good upstairs neighbours to the lady below us because she is on the strata. Ugh, condo living. it's a pain in the *kitten*.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I second the use of a noise machine. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $20.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    We have loud neighbors but not at night which is a relief. Maybe fans will help with the noise, we have fans running at night to put us to sleep :)