Below 1000 calories

Options
Hello everyone out there,

I am finding it quite hard to eat more than 1000 calories in a day without feeling guilty because I will feel soooo full for the whole day. I am also aware that our metabolic rate will drop due to insufficient calorie consumption because the body is putting itself in starvation mode.So I chose to do light cycling for 30 minutes and 30 minutes of low impact aerobics + stretching daily to help boost my metabolic rate. Besides exercising, I also go for drinking loads of Green Tea because I heard that it aids in shedding fat and boosts body metabolism as well.
I am new to this webpage and I hope that you all can give me some good advice and see whether there's any problem in my plan~

Thank you soooo much!!!

Replies

• SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    Starvation mode is such an overused term. If you eat 900 cals, your body is not going to go into starvation mode. It probably won't even if you eat 500, unless you do it consistently for weeks.

If you feel absolutely stuffed, don't eat. Eat when you're hungry and eat healthy when you do. Also eat healthy fats like nuts, beans, eggs, etc. :)

I, too, never really reach my 1000 - but I always feel full. I trust my body to tell me what I need.
  • soon_chaos
    Options
    Well, based on 4 days of tracking my calories, my calorie consumption range is about 600-800 per day.
    I heard that Green Tea boosts our body metabolic rate~ is this true??
    SkyMusic, thanks for replying, it means a lot to me!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Recommend that you speak to a counselor about your food guilt issues. You need to eat more; there's no special trick you can do to get around this.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Are you fricking kidding me? I just removed someone from my list. She ate less than 1200 calories a day and workout everyday. She has fainted 3 times month and is on heart monitor. Your body requires nutrients to survive you might not feel it but you are starving your ORGANS. FRICKING EAT .
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Well, based on 4 days of tracking my calories, my calorie consumption range is about 600-800 per day.
    SkyMusic, thanks for replying, it means a lot to me!

Seriously? My 2 year old eats more than that.

You need to speak to a doctor, honestly, because that low of calorie intake is NOT healthy.

ETA - If that is you in that pic, you do NOT need to lose weight. If you want to be toned, fine, lift weights...but in the mean time, you should definitely seek professional medical help.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You are behaving extremely unhealthy. Please read this thread!!!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206951-asked-my-trainer-re-eating-back-calories
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I felt that way at first. It has taken me a while heck it really took me a couple of months to realize that over 1000 is best and also my body started craving more. I think the fear is a beginner thing. Don't worry if you eat more, I am still losing and I am eating my 1200 and over calories. :)

Everyone commenting please be nice. I think she will eventually start craving more than 1000 calories. Believe me!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    People worry about this as will your doctor to be sure you are getting all the nutrients you need. Please at least be on a good brand daily vitamin. You may notice after a few weeks on this you feel tired and sluggish not eating at least 1200 calories. You may also notice you are not seeing muscle definition that you want to see. I would suggest going for a glass of whole chocolate milk, peanut butter on a good multi grain bread, healthy meats, nuts, avocado and banana. This will help you get to calories, not feel over stuffed and have the good stuff you need.
  • soon_chaos
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies given my MFP users.
    Ermm.... can you guys check out my diary? Maybe there's something I did wrong in my meals and I would like to hear more opinions on how I can eat better and healthier~
    Appreciate it!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is such an overused term. If you eat 900 cals, your body is not going to go into starvation mode. It probably won't even if you eat 500, unless you do it consistently for weeks.

If you feel absolutely stuffed, don't eat. Eat when you're hungry and eat healthy when you do. Also eat healthy fats like nuts, beans, eggs, etc. :)

I, too, never really reach my 1000 - but I always feel full. I trust my body to tell me what I need.

I wish this website would block people who are unhealthy from giving others advice. Sure, you ate healthy things, but eating an apple, a sweet potato, and 1/2 cup of cereal ALL day is NOT healthy. Period. I hate to call people liars, but if you are up for more than 6 hours on a day like that, and doing nothing, you are hungry. All day. Stop giving people negative encouragement.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

It does, but if you aren't feeding your body the increase in metabolic rate may not be healthy.

Look, few people on this site are actual doctors (myself included). Under 1000 calories is a very low intake rate, but there are other things you need to consider. I'd urge you to see a qualified doctor, just to make sure everything is OK. What caloric level does the site recommend you have based on your height, weight, and activity level (in other words, at 6' 3" and 219 pounds, the site recommends a calorie level of 1,470 for me to lose 2 pounds a week - but your profile picture makes you look somewhat more petite than freakishly-tall me, so what PERCENTAGE of your recommended calories are you actually eating?).

You're able to exercise, which is a good sign. Do you feel dizzy, light-headed, etc after your self-described "light" workouts? Are you sleeping well and reasonably energetic during the day?

How's your balance of proteins, carbs, and fats? Are you losing weight? Getting plenty of water?

I'd say, overall, if you feel healthy and energetic, no problems with the workouts or climbing a couple of flights of stairs, and you're losing weight at a reasonable 1-2 pounds a week, you're getting all your nutrients and your diet is reasonably balanced, my completely amateur non-medical opinion is to see your doctor anyway, but you probably have little to worry about.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Focus on increasing your calories over time. Try 100 calorie increase a month or a few weeks. Also don't focus too much on the green tea burning fat. Make sure you get enough water to stay hydrated.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Advice from an 18 year old who has just started, Nice advice! Pick your friends wisely that will help you more than what this misinformed person is telling you
    her diary totals 260 exercise calories earned= 260-292= -32 and you friended her?
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    Options

I wish this website would block people who are unhealthy from giving others advice. Sure, you ate healthy things, but eating an apple, a sweet potato, and 1/2 cup of cereal ALL day is NOT healthy. Period. I hate to call people liars, but if you are up for more than 6 hours on a day like that, and doing nothing, you are hungry. All day. Stop giving people negative encouragement.

100000000000 % AGREE
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary and make it public. The hard thing is if you only have a few pounds you want to shed and need to shed they come off slowly. It is okay that this is the way they come off. Maybe try putting some weights into your exercise routine they will not make you bulk up they will help your muscle become lean and lean muscle helps to burn fat. If you do not eat enough the body uses the stuff we want such as muscle tissue to fuel itself. So although starvation mode is probably the wrong way to put it, like most of us I am sure you want your body to be lean and strong not twiggy and floppy. Also I looked at your profile. Loose weight for you. Beautiful dresses come in many sizes! I am a size 6 to an 8 and I can find clothes in my size. We are all built different if you continue to compare yourself to others you will make yourself feel worse. This is hard for me to say because I do the same thing time and time again. Good luck to you.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you eat your meals but I've found eating more small meals throughout the day makes it easier to eat more calories throughout the day. After I started doing this I was able to eat all my calories without feeling like I was forcing myself to eat.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Ermm.... can you guys check out my diary? Maybe there's something I did wrong in my meals and I would like to hear more opinions on how I can eat better and healthier~
    Appreciate it!

It's not public, so I can't.

Here's what I'd do if I were you - the site is capable of tracking the three components of calories (fat, proteins, and carbs). If you are truly unable to eat more calories than you are, I'd urge you at least to keep the calories in balance (the site will give recommended levels of each, try to eat about the same percentage of each).

The other thing I'd mention - are you eating so few calories because you're truly not hungry, or because you feel like you shouldn't because you want to lose weight? If it's the first, make sure you are getting plenty of water and do your best to eat as much as you can manage, and your body might adjust and you'll find your appetite increasing. If it's the second, then I'd suggest that a very low-calorie diet is not a healthy and sustainable way to lose weight, and you might consider trying more calories out and see how it feels.

But, please, see a professional about what is right specifically for you.
  • lilac_meddow
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies given my MFP users.
    Appreciate it!

I occasionally feel like this too.. all depends on the day and my mood and a lot of things... if you feel full and you're under just eat something little that packs a punch like a protein or nutrition bar or a shake, my fave is some cheese.. I love it and if it's a higher fat cheese like cheddar it's more calories. Just pick your favorite snack and give yourself room to indulge... don't give into the guilt... it's just messing with your head... with time it will take a hike.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    Options
    You not have a metabolism increase as long as you starve yourself. Caffiene is bad for your heart so just eat healthy and you will lose weight. Your body needs fuel to run itself and it will burn fat when it has enuff fuel. Can you drive a car on empty , not for very far.
  • soon_chaos
    Options
    Well, firstly, I am really happy to know that people are actually saying that I'm not that fat. But in the case of my country, South East Asia region, my current body weight and size (173cm tall and 68kg) is considered quite an amount. The clothes here aren't made for big sizers like me and I have difficulty in finding an adequate dress or clothes for myself many times...

Hmm....I should really consider all of the comments telling me to increase my calories... cause almost everyone are bombarding me with the same facts...hahaha.... actually I really hope you guys can check out my diet diary and give good suggestions to it so I can make good adjustments to my diet!

Thank you!!