been wearin HRM all day

Options
so ive been wearing my Polar HRM for 11.5 hours and it says ive burned 2500 calories today, its a normal day and i thats without excercise and i have the entire night of sleep ahead, so im really wondering how accurate the reading will be...it seems a little high doesnt it??...im at a desk job and really am not active much.
i am quite overweight but still - my daily calories on this site are estimated at 1400 a day for losing 2 pounds per week, yet my hrm is sayig i burn more than that....hmmm
thoughts??

mich

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your cal intake on mfp takes out the deficit already. Compare it to your BMR instead.

Interesting experiment!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i have been doing the same today

in 3 hours 51 mins. i burned 301 cal
    theni restarted it when i went on my treadmill.........30m mins. 206 cal
    and theni restarted it again and am at 267 cal in 1 hour 14 mins.
    so we shall see what the total is for the day, only going to have it on till bed time though
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I read that HRM's are not accurate when you are at rest. So they cannot be used all day to calculate how many calories you burn in a day. Have to go in and get tested if you want a really accurate number.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Why would a HRM not work when you aren't exercising - you still have a heart beat?
  • HealthyIn09
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I read that HRM's are not accurate when you are at rest.

I'm confused about this too ... do you not have a heart beat while at rest? haha.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Apparently I don't have a heart beat at rest. At least that's what my HRM told me today. When I'm driving, it would flash 0, 190, 0, 58, 78, 0, 250, 0, etc. IOW, it was just random numbers. So I got to work and took the damn thing off. :mad:
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I read that HRM's are not accurate when you are at rest. So they cannot be used all day to calculate how many calories you burn in a day. Have to go in and get tested if you want a really accurate number.

yes they are, if you need more info on it ask ShBoss, he has also done this little test before, that is where i got the idea from
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    Apparently I don't have a heart beat at rest. At least that's what my HRM told me today. When I'm driving, it would flash 0, 190, 0, 58, 78, 0, 250, 0, etc. IOW, it was just random numbers. So I got to work and took the damn thing off. :mad:

I have been driving around all day and it still works, check to make sure that you made the transmitter wet enough when you put it on as that will make it do weird things, i have had no problem with mine at all. It is reading 74 right now as i tye this, when i was driving it was in the 60's
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    well I just got this impression because when I was looking up information on the subject there seemed to be a lot of support behind it being inaccurate. I can't say for sure as I haven't been able to find the info directly from the Polar or other HRM sites. Anyways one of the links

http://caloriecount.about.com/wearing-heart-rate-monitor-all-ft128909
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, Polar HRMs are pretty accurate.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my opinion.

Ok, I did do this. I basically have worn it all day, but mostly I was curious of the hours that I wasn't active.
    If the sensors aren't wet, or right against your skin you will get inaccurate results.

If you roll around in bed, or if you move and the chestband moves and is not touching your skin in accurate results. There are quite a few possibilities if you leave it on all day without knowing it "moved"

I actually had to tighten the strap on mine the other day, felt it sliding down a bit while exercising.

Vanessadawn, there are many HRM that are not as accurate, and there are some that are like a watch and you have to touch it every few mins to give it a heartbeat to measure from.

Chest strap HRM's are the ones to use.
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    yeah I know that you can get cheap ones that don't work, just that I have heard that in general wearing it all day would not get an accurate result as they are designed to detect heart rates most accurately when working out or being active. whether there is merit behind this claim I have yet to see accurate evidence for either opinion. so if it was me I would keep an open mind to the results you obtain.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    your polar isn't to be worn all day- It is only meant for exercising. Also you will burn through your battery life- Your battery life is only meant for like 2 hours a day-
    Just giving you a heads up.

Also wearing it through out the day isn't exactly correct #'s if you want to wear something all day then you should get a Body Bugg like they have on the biggest loser now that is meant to be worn all day with or without exercise