kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
I'm looking for new ideas for quinoa
Thanks!

Replies

• clephant
    clephant Posts: 1
    Options
    one of my favorite ones is Quinoa salad.
    I cook and cool the quinoa, then add, cherry tomatoes, cube cucumber, red onions, snap or sugar peas, bell peppers (red, green, orange) toss lightly with sun dried tomato salad dressing. or any vinaigrette based dressing. (super friut Berry is real nice)
  • ashley67203
    Options
    1.5 C. cooked quinoa
    1 big head of fresh broccoli - chopped and steamed
    1 can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
    4 oz. feta cheese crumbles
    2 T. olive oil
    2 tsp. dijon mustard
    2 T. lemon juice
    1 tsp. tarragon
    2 cloves garlic - pressed or chopped tiny

Mix together and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold. Tasty.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I cook quinoa in broth to give it more flavor. Dice tomatoes, cukes, cooked chicken, parsley, and toss with lf feta cheese. It's like a high protein tabouleh.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    1.5 C. cooked quinoa
    1 big head of fresh broccoli - chopped and steamed
    1 can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
    4 oz. feta cheese crumbles
    2 T. olive oil
    2 tsp. dijon mustard
    2 T. lemon juice
    1 tsp. tarragon
    2 cloves garlic - pressed or chopped tiny

Mix together and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold. Tasty.

Yummy!!
  • Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quinoa burgers - http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-burger
    I love these and they are packed with protein!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm looking for new ideas for quinoa
    Thanks!

I like making the quinoa as you normally would but instead of water or broth use vanilla almond milk. Once it is done add cinnamon, chopped medjool dates, and sliced almonds to your liking. For every half cup of cooked quinoa plus the added ingredients, add vanilla pudding (sugar-free or whatever you wish) to the mix. I do not have an exact calorie count but a half cup is less than 200 calories.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    BUMP BC THEY ALL SOUND SO TASTY!
  • birdsmom1
    birdsmom1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Bump
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I recently made salmon en papillote with quinoa in culinary school. The way we made the quinoa was like how we make rice pilaf:
    1/2 C quinoa
    1 C water
    1 shallot, minced
    1 sprig thyme
    1 bay leaf
    Salt to taste
    Oil as needed

1) In a hot pan, add oil and shallots. Sweat the shallots and add salt as needed.
    2) Then "toast" the quinoa. This means to let the quinoa burst a little bit like popcorn.
    3) Then add your water, thyme, and bay leaf.
    4) Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. If you have too much water, just make sure to keep fluffing the quinoa every once in a while.

This really goes great with the salmon underneath. To make the salmon, all you need is fresh dill, lemon, a salmon fillet, and butter.

1) Cut a piece of parchment paper like you would cut a heart, except with a less drastic dip. You just wanted the paper to be rounded to make a dumpling.
    2) Place quinoa in the middle of the paper, laying the seasoned salmon on top.
    3) Spritz lemon juice and sprinkle freshly minced dill on top. Make sure to butter all sides of the parchment paper to prevent browning. Top the salmon with a small dab of butter also if you wish.
    4) Fold the parchment paper over to cover the salmon and quinoa mound, and fold the edges like you would a dumpling to allow a small air pocket to form.
    5) Place package on a baking sheet on top of the stove over medium heat until the package starts to swell up with air. Then place in the oven at 400 for about 5 minutes or until you like your salmon done.

Enjoy!
  • horndame
    horndame Posts: 16
    Options
    I make quinoa in veggie broth and then add to it about a head of minced garlic cooked in some olive oil. It depends on how much of everything you want to make, but I love it super garlicky. Once that is mixed, add in a ton of chopped cilantro. I promise, it's delicious! Make sure your friends/loved ones eat it, too...otherwise, you may not have very many friends/loved ones. :wink:
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Banana Bread

1 cup cooked quinoa (follow package directions)
    3 mushy bananas
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    dash of salt
    1/2 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
    2. Place the cooled cooked quinoa in a mixing bowl and stir together with bananas.
    3. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, salt, yogurt, oil, sugar and egg and continue mixing.
    4. In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, baking powder, all-purpose and whole wheat flour. Add to the wet ingredients 1/2 cup at a time until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
    5. Grease a loaf pan and pour in the batter. Bake in a 350°F oven for 1 hour.
    6. Remove the bread from the oven and let rest for as long as you can wait before cutting a slice.
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    bump thanks everyone!
  • newNRGkate
    newNRGkate Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    An interesting salad:
    I cook a serving of quinoa, let it cool, then put it on top of a bed of spinach. Add half an avocado, half of a grapefruit, 1 oz of honey goat cheese (YUM!!), and a little simple dressing of olive oil mixed with honey. I'm not sure how to add more protein in this... I've considered adding garbanzo beans but that just doesn't seem quite right. Perhaps some extra firm cooked tofu?
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    bump
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Bump
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bump