Special needs mommy's :)

Options
I thought it would be nice to find a group of ladies that have special needs kids. I have son who has high functioning autism, he is 16. I also work in my school district as a paraeducator (teachers aide) in a self contained classroom.

Replies

• irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes! That would be great, my son is 6 with autism.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think that is an awesome idea. I just got home from admitting my daughter to a residential treatment center for 3-6 months (depending on how she does). She has emotional/mental/behavioral disabilities. And my son has bipolar disorder. I know I have added stress, and people who understand the frustration would be helpful

Edited to add, my daughter is 13, and my son is 14.
  • jamierizzo
    jamierizzo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jamie and I have a 12 year old son that is high functioning autistic with ADHD and a 14 year old son with learning delays and ADHD. I also have a daughter but she doesn't have any disabilities. Life is pretty interesting sometimes but I wouldn't trade it for anything :happy: I love my kids! :love: Feel free to add me as a friend
  • lindsayb0422
    Options
    I love this idea. My son is 5 years old and has cp. it always nice to find other moms that can relate.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How do we create a group? I have a 14 year old with severe Cerebral Palsy - quadriplegic, tracheotomy, feeding tubes, and a host of other issues. Developmentally she's about 6 months old.

I also have a 17 year old with no special needs.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    that'd be wonderful! i have a 15 year old teenage daughter who's been dx with biplar since she was 5. she had her first hospital stay at age 7 with her first serious suicide attempt a couple months later. That stress/issues is why i have to be a SAHM and contributed a lot to how much weight i gained.

She has bipolar, ocd, gad, and sensory issues. She also has a gifted IQ.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. I have a 7 year old with autism
  • luvmypoochie
    Options
    Hi, I'm Diane,

My son Benjamin is 12 years old and has the development of a 2yr old. To this day I haven't been given an official diagnosis, I'm told the fetus suffered brain damage during development and therefore he has severe global delay. He is non-verbal, has epilepsy and is in a wheelchair. He scoots around the house on his knees and is very happy 100% all of the time. Its very difficult trying to figure out what he wants, he learned to point 2 years ago which has made a huge difference. We are trying to teach him sign language and have had success with simply signs : eat, drink, more, all done. And he starting using a communication device that has pictures for him to press the buttons of what he wants. It takes alot of consistency and repetition in order for him to learn something new. I also have an 20yr old step-son, 18yr old son and an 11yr old daughter, who do not have any disabilities.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My son is 12 and on the autism spectrum but I always like to mention some people don't believe that due to not knowing his early years. He has a lot of obsessive behaviors that change up. Right now he is on a kick to clean the bathroom and went has far to make himself a mask with his shirt because of the smell of scrubbing bubbles. Oh my can't believe I wrote that. We are seeking couseling which was the hardest thing I had to do in a while.
  • vgambino
    vgambino Posts: 28
    Options
    I would love to join the group too!

My 7 year old Hope also had a brain injury at birth and has global delay. She is very much just a baby when it comes to most things, but she is extremely intelligent. She is my only. She also has epilepsy and cp, and a shunt in her brain.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My 7 yr old has ADHD, probably anxiety (I'm leaning toward yes, we will see what the "professionals" say). He just started working with an OT at school. He has been tested several times - and every time we got a different answer...ugh...so very stressful. He is very intelligent but his anxiety is holding him back. The OT is also observing to see if he has dyspraxia. He also seems to have sensory issues.

I have 2 other children - 2 and 8 mos. So far neither exhibit any of the same traits that the oldest did at those ages (other than lactose issues)...so we shall see.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hiii. I have a darling two year old son who is Deaf. He signs like a madman and is a total badass. :)
  • MelBee29
    MelBee29 Posts: 73
    Options
    I am a SAHM to a 8yr old who has ADHD , and my daughter 2yrs adores her big brother who is a jumping jelly bean ! Everyday is different alot of ups & downs but it takes alot of patience , strength & love to get through each passing day & I tip my hat to all you fellow mommies ...:flowerforyou:

feel free to add me :smile:
  • ninamariesanchez
    Options
    I thought it would be nice to find a group of ladies that have special needs kids. I have son who has high functioning autism, he is 16. I also work in my school district as a paraeducator (teachers aide) in a self contained classroom.
    Hi My name is Nina I also have a special needs child he is 14 and was born with Cerebral Ataxia Disease. I was told this year he has the mind of a 7 yr old. Add me if you like
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Not a mom, but just wanted to say thanks and good job to all of you who are so attentive and sensitive to your children's needs. I suffered from crippling anxiety from as early as I can remember, OCD set in in 4th grade, was depressed and suicidal in high school, and ended up needing emergency psychiatric care for a complete breakdown in college. My parents--who, don't get me wrong, love me very much--did not want to believe that their "perfect" daughter needed help and brushed it off for as long as they could. In their minds, I was too smart for there to be anything really wrong with me mentally. I'm 26 now and was only recently diagnosed with ADHD and my doctor is trying to diagnose the exact anxiety disorder but it's taking a while.

So again, all of you who acknowledge problems and stay on top of them deserve a pat on the back. I know it can't be easy, but your kids will be better off in the long run. Sorry for derailing the thread. :happy:
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    While I didn't have any children, I would like to ask if any of the mom's of autistic children have heard about Carly Fleishman in Canada. Carly had a major break in her autism & is helping parents understand why their kids do the things they do. She is on Facebook & Twitter for anyone who would like to read what she has accomplished.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely wonderful to see this thread! I respond wearing different hats...

I am the big sister to a fabulous woman with developmental delays, cp, and a seizure disorder. My father uses a wheelchair due to a broken back years before I was born.

I am a special education teacher who works with children with multiple, severe disabilities.

I am a mother of 2 boys. Oldest, 14, has severe depression and anxiety. My youngest, 10, has anxiety disorder, sensory processing disorder, and fine motor issues.

My boat has been full since I was born! I love every minute of it, but I know that it adds tons of stress that some families just cannot fathom. Good luck to all of you! :happy:
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Kimi, mother of 4. My grown son has some mental health issues we are constantly dealing with. A daughter in college whos only issue is i don't think she is ever moving out LOL. A high schooler with ADD and ADHD who just made National Honor Society (such a proud Mama), and an 9 year old who is on the Autism spectrum, high functioning with a Sensory disorder and severe learning disabilities. Everyday is a challenge, but so worth it. I am also a RN who works with medically handicapped children. I would gladly join too..
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My son is 12 and on the autism spectrum but I always like to mention some people don't believe that due to not knowing his early years. He has a lot of obsessive behaviors that change up. Right now he is on a kick to clean the bathroom and went has far to make himself a mask with his shirt because of the smell of scrubbing bubbles. Oh my can't believe I wrote that. We are seeking couseling which was the hardest thing I had to do in a while.

mygrl4meee just a thought, from someone who has severe environmental allergies, (fragrances incl) is it possible that you son could also be bothered by the scent of the scubbing bubbles because he is sensitive to the petrochemicals used in the production of products?
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a SAHM to 2 boys. My youngest is 4 and he has HFA with sensory issues and speech delays. My 6 year old is ADD just like his Mommy! Having a special needs child certainly presents challenges each day but they're the most amazing, confounding and fantastic creatures I've ever had the pleasure to know. I think it's an honor to get to be the Mommy of a special needs child. Please add me and I would love to have a group for this!