You don't need to lose weight!

Options
How many of you have heard this from loved ones, friends etc?
I've had countless people tell me that I don't need to lose weight, and it's frustrating and I don't know what to say to them.
The last retort I came up with was a good one. "You don't see me naked!"
That one got a few laughs.

I'm sick of it, I feel like they are not supportive. I have 25 lbs to go and it frustrates me !

What do you do if someone says this to you?

Replies

• ThenTheresChad
    Options
    I get it all the, " You don't need to lose anymore weight " blah blah Ignore it & just say " Oh, you think so? " Because it's not their body it's yours! You do what you feel is right!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I often get told " you are skinny enough! You don't need to lose weight!" One of my customers gave me a mug of coffee and 5 slices of cake when I finished cutting her lawn!
  • BlackDhalia403
    Options
    The funny thing is I know I'm overweight , and my BMI scale shows I'm one point on the overweight scale . My family tells me I don't need to lose weight , and my husband thinks I look good this way . Because I'm pear shaped , my weight is in my hips and my butt . I have a small frame , and very large thighs lOL . My tummy isn't to big in my opinion ... I think all and all I don't listen to anyone who tells me otherwise . Because I want to make myself happy when I look at myself in the mirror .
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I may get cursed out by someone for saying this....my belief is that is a women thing...because if you are a guy and talking with one of your boys and you say, "man I am going to try a lose some weight for the summer"...your friend will reply "Yea man..you fat"....but if it's a girl...she would say..."girl you don't need to lose any weight...stop tripping" I have seen it many times especially at work...Has any girl here said that? if so...why? I thought it was because she internally was either jealous, OR she was thinking that the person saying they are going to lose weight just need kind words? dunno
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    All the time! By family, friends, mfp friends. Some understand my goals though :]
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    if you are a guy and talking with one of your boys and you say, "man I am going to try a lose some weight for the summer"...your friend will reply "Yea man..you fat"

I would rather my friends tell me this ^^ lol

Guys are like that xD I see with my bf and his guys
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I often get told " you are skinny enough! You don't need to lose weight!" One of my customers gave me a mug of coffee and 5 slices of cake when I finished cutting her lawn!

Tezrah...was that customer a girl or guy? Just never heard a guy say something like that to other guys..
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    I have been watching a couple shows that deal with weight loss (Biggest Loser and Heavy). These people were obese or morbidly obese then they lost a lot of weight. On the show Heavy, they would go and lose weight for a month on their own. Then the cameras would show their progress. Sometimes I would be like HOLY CRAP THEY GOT SO SKINNY! *jaw drops* then they would step on the scale and still be a good 50 pounds overweight.

I think it has to do with they are used to seeing you at a certain weight, so when you drop some you look A LOT different and A LOT skinner than what they are used to. Sometimes those people on those shows don't look like they need to lose anymore weight, but then when they step on the scale it is like "well would you look at that... weird".
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    if you are a guy and talking with one of your boys and you say, "man I am going to try a lose some weight for the summer"...your friend will reply "Yea man..you fat"

HAHA yea...Dudes are brutal to each other...It's like tough love man
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've said that to people before and here's why. Genuinely I only say that to someone if I feel they already look good!

I, personally, have never said it to anyone that could stand to lose weight. I try to be supportive whenever possible... but it's definitely possible that people feel like you look good the way you are. I'd try to shrug it off and take it as a compliment.

However, do what is going to make you happy! =]

If it bothers you when people say that, just tell them you are going to the gym to "get more in shape". You can be any weight and still attempt for a better level of fitness. Maybe it would stop people from making those comments. =]
  • kfitzs
    kfitzs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yep i got it from all my workmates ive got quite a small frame so i carry it well but i was borderline obese when i was at my heaviest. I think its just society is more ok with overweight people and that the norm has shifted. But in saying that my family where calling me fat trying to be well meaning in all the wrong ways and are telling me that i wont get to my goal weight which is my sisters weight of 121. I think its all up to us i started losing weight because i felt uncomfortable not because my mum said i needed too and i will stop losing weight when im happy with where i am
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

^This. I would rather someone tell me I need to lose weight. The one person in my life who has told me I was getting overweight was my dad. I love him for that. He is my number 1 supporter on my journey.

I don't get it. I *know* what I look like, and what my goals are. Others around me do not. A few guys have said it, and a few females.
    If someone gets uptight about me saying they need to lose a few pounds, it's on them. I *know* I need to lose weight, and I'd rather hear that I need to lose or tone... I hope that makes sense, it's been an incredibly long day
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I get this too. My dad told me to stop where I am at.

I just ignore it and I know that I am doing it for myself. I'd like to read on here how other people deal with it.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been watching a couple shows that deal with weight loss (Biggest Loser and Heavy). These people were obese or morbidly obese then they lost a lot of weight. On the show Heavy, they would go and lose weight for a month on their own. Then the cameras would show their progress. Sometimes I would be like HOLY CRAP THEY GOT SO SKINNY! *jaw drops* then they would step on the scale and still be a good 50 pounds overweight.

I think it has to do with they are used to seeing you at a certain weight, so when you drop some you look A LOT different and A LOT skinner than what they are used to. Sometimes those people on those shows don't look like they need to lose anymore weight, but then when they step on the scale it is like "well would you look at that... weird".

That's what I think happens. People think you look "good enough"... I don't wanna look good enough, I wanna look great!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

People think you look "good enough"... I don't wanna look good enough, I wanna look great!

WORD
  • hopefulfuturexox
    Options
    My mum says stuff like that, just do what you feel right. It's your body, not theirs :D
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I finish the rest of the sentence in my head ...if a guy is saying it (because more men will find you attractive) or if it's from a woman (because you will look better than me)

my kids have never said that to me, they have told me they are proud of me for working so hard and they really like how healthy and energentic I am....those are the two main reasons I do this...not for appearances.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I agree with this one. As l had been over weight for a long time then when l did drop 38lbs and then saw some friends they thought l was sick because of the loss.

But l did let them know that it had been awhile in seeing them and things do change.
  • OMG YES!!!! my boyfriend tells me all the time i dont need to loss weigh that im fine just the way im but i keep telling him im not lossing wieght for anybody im doing it because of my health problems ! and because i want to be healthy !! my friends keep telling me to stop but i will not nobody CANT STOP ME
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options

People think you look "good enough"... I don't wanna look good enough, I wanna look great!

WORD

Exactly!!!