Very little loss!!

Options
I,ve started a differnet exercise programme this week that included a 45 minute session of total tone and 2 45 minute session of aerobice, as well as a jog and my regular 1 hour dog walk, slipped in a 45 minute swim session as well.

I previously just swam and walked the dog.

Got on the scales this morning for my weigh in and only lost 3/4lb so not best pleased. Food wise I have stayed within my calorie and ate back exercise calories except for 300 yesterday but that was it.

Any ideas on what has happened this week?

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    First, when you do any sort of weight training, your muscles will hold on to some water to rebuild. Not sure if you were using weights, but you mentioned a toning session. If you are increasing your exercise program, you may also find you need to eat more. Not sure what your calories are set at, but it's very possible you are not eating enough. I honestly wouldn't fret it if it's only the first week you have increased your exercise. It can take your body 2-3 weeks just to adjust to the change.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The scale is a bad way to measure. Use a measuring tape. That will reveal what is really going on!
  • chez125
    chez125 Posts: 4
    Options
    Calorie wise get 1290 per day and generally earn about 300-700 extra per day. Most days try to eat all exercise calories but some days may leave a few hundred depending on how hungry/busy I am.

Will start measuring on a weekly basis as have only measured twice so far. Once at start of weight loss journey and once a few months ago.

Just a bit deflating when you are doing everything right :(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I,ve started a differnet exercise programme this week that included a 45 minute session of total tone and 2 45 minute session of aerobice, as well as a jog and my regular 1 hour dog walk, slipped in a 45 minute swim session as well.

I previously just swam and walked the dog.

Got on the scales this morning for my weigh in and only lost 3/4lb so not best pleased. Food wise I have stayed within my calorie and ate back exercise calories except for 300 yesterday but that was it.

Any ideas on what has happened this week?

False weight, hmmm, not gain, uhhm, false weight not-as-much-lost.

Your body is responding to the exercise by improving things, like energy stores is easiest. Gucose stores with water, and if doing more cardio, body wants it available, especially in different muscle than used previously.

And as Velvet mentions, just muscle water retention from working out new muscles too.

And if drinking more because the workouts, that.

And you may have been artificially low last weigh in, and artificially high this time, making it appear you lost more last week, not as much this week.

Also, don't compare excess water weight loss the first week, that won't be attainable again.

Measuring is great idea, and picking a weigh-in morning, the day after a rest day. Cuts down on the false gain/loss chances by having everything evened out over a rest day.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are down 85 lbs? That is AWESOME !! We are women sometimes our bodies want to hold onto water, when it is warmer out or when we are not well rested. It is my day 4 so I am amazed at how well everyone is doing on this site, hope I can too.