breakfast - is it wrong to eat soup

Options
I had lentil soup for breakfast the other day. I really enjoyed it and it actually kept me going till 2pm. I had it at 8am.

My question is, is there a reason we eat "breakfast" type foods in the morning or does it not matter what you eat as long as you are breaking the fast (Iknow clever me, I looked up the word and meaning!)

What are your thoughts??

I might go crazy tomorrow and have soup again! Maybe I'll have tomato veg soup this time though :-)

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    No way. Up until I was 16 or 17 I would eat dinner leftovers for breakfast. Spaghetti, soup, chicken, whatever.

Now I eat oatmeal because I have to wake up early and it keeps me going on a low amount of calories.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oh, and tomato soup is common for breakfast in some places :)
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with soup - it's got to be better than fried bacon and eggs! It might also be a good way to use up left overs that would otherwise be thrown out, so I will keep it in mind next time we have leftover soup.

Where did the idea that certain foods are for breakfast come from, anyway?
    My son insisted on making himself a cheese and lettuce sandwich for breakfast recently, so I let him - I figured it was a far better option than some of the other things he requests!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Try doing night shifts! Then you wake up & eat all sorts of stuff for breakfast......
    Eat what you fancy within your limits!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    see that's what I thought!!!

I do wonder where these "breakfast" foods cam from and if there is a reason we should eat them.

The only negative that came from eating lentil soup for breakfast so far that I can see/hear(!) was the excessive wind I got (TMI!)
    :blushing:
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal, different cultures eat completely different things at breakfast. Even in Europe it tends to be cold meats cheeses and breads, or fruits, as opposed to the cereals we have here, and in the UK there's a huge range of different options, from cereal, to eggs, sausages, bacon, whatever. I think cereals have become popular because they are relatively filling and quick and easy, but I say eat whatever works for you (although you might want to cut back on those lentils! lol).
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'd bet it is just habit and culture. You travel away from your home country and you see people eating very different things for breakfast.

One of my favorite things in the world is breakfast foods for dinner...mmmm.

Lentil soup sounds like a really good thing for breakfast. Might have to try it.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Mm, I love lentils and beans for breakfast! So filling!
    I once had an indian themed lentil fritatta! My jesuses it was delicious!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always have miso soup for breakfast. My favourite ever breakfast was dosas in India, they're a sort of very light crispy pancake made of lentil flour with spicy filling.

I've never been much for conventional breakfasts, and why anyone wants a filling meal to digect at the beginning of the day beats me - especially the thought of consuming stuff like milk or jam - euch!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Probably better for you than most traditional breakfasts. The Japanese have miso soup for breakfast. Is your lentil soup tasty? Could you please share your recipe? If you want to that is, thanks.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    my lentil soup is super tasty but it is a fly by the seat of your pants type recipe.
    I use red lentils and do one part to four parts water, add some chilli powder and fresh chillis and three pieces of bacon.

Boil down the lentils and either add fresh stock (if I have it) or a cube.

Then literally blend.

I don't add any salt or anything like that and it's a case of tasting and adding anything more like more spice etc.

120g of uncooked lentils makes four batches. Takes 1/2 hour tops and makes a great breakfast dish ha ha!!
    :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If you find it nourishing then enjoy.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    To quote a very successful advertisement here in Australia: "Your tastebuds don't know what time it is."

Ironically that was a line used to advertise a breakfast cereal being eaten by teenage boys for dinner.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think people like to eat quite light things for breakfast.. I know I probably wouldn't be able to face soup in the morning, but im okay with a slice of toast or some cereal.
    Also I think its due to the fact that alot of advertisement of cereals, toast etc is aimed towards having at breakfast and that leads people to think that's what normal.

I used to have houmous with carrot sticks for breakfast until my boyfriend took the mickey!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all, I once convinced my Dad to have a slice of pizza for breakfast by arguing the case that is really just glorified cheese on toast and that would be deemed 'normal'.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Im not much of a breakfast person and I can never eat as soon as I get up, i need to wait for at least an hour before i feel like something then i can crave anything lol! x
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    my lentil soup is super tasty but it is a fly by the seat of your pants type recipe.
    I use red lentils and do one part to four parts water, add some chilli powder and fresh chillis and three pieces of bacon.

Boil down the lentils and either add fresh stock (if I have it) or a cube.

Then literally blend.

I don't add any salt or anything like that and it's a case of tasting and adding anything more like more spice etc.

120g of uncooked lentils makes four batches. Takes 1/2 hour tops and makes a great breakfast dish ha ha!!
    :smile:

Wow thanks very much Helen. Honestly I've never tried or cooked lentil soup so this will be a first for me :wink: Hopefully it will help to soothe this sometimes ravenous hunger.