Hunger pangs!

Options
Hey all, I'm a little reluctant to post this with a post up titled "help me understand fat people" but I'm going to go for it anyway, as I could do with a little help.

Basically I am hungry. Like, REALLY hungry. I don't always feel this way, sometimes I have a hard time meeting my TDEE but for the past few days I have been hungry to the point of having a cramp in my stomach which makes it hurt to stand up! Yesterday for example, I'm at 8pm, had around 1600 kcal already and I'm so hungry it hurts. I tried eating a banana and it doesn't make it stop. Eventually I decided that obviously I just need more food, and made myself a full dinner but of course, this puts me well over my TDEE.

Could it be to do with the types of food I'm eating? Yesterday was a-typical in that I had some sweeties (definitely not a day I was proud of, but I can own what I did and I did go to bed feeling ok) but I have noticed that I often go over carb intake. And this hunger has been going on for about a week now.

I'm drinking as much as I can fit into my stomach and I was just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and what they did with it/any ideas!

And if I'm this hungry with adequate nutrition/hydration should I up my calories or is it just a psychosomatic thing?? As I say, this isn't ALL of the time but I'm getting a little concerned about this weeks intake!!

My diary should be viewable :)

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    From a quick glance at your diary I'd tell you to start eating more high volume low calorie foods, like veggies, popcorn etc. Also try to get lots of protein.

You're eating a lot of "treats" which never work out well for me in the end. They dont fill me up so it's just wasted calories basically. I can understand a small treat every day but a few big treats a day won't help you much on the hunger front :)

Might be worth mentioning I tend to feel hungrier before my period. Might be something like that.
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    empty calories. You need to eat nutritious food like fruit, veg and protein so that you feel full. Some of it is probably psychosomatic but really you're not providing yourself with much nutrition if yesterday's diet is typical.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    oh, also, try replacing your low fat things with more fat/full fat. you'll have to eat less to meet the same calorie goal BUT full fat things tend to keep people feeling fuller. also fat is essential for brain function :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You can see my diary, so we can see whether it is typical or not. As I say in the post, it's not a typical day for yesterday - as I had a doughnut (my personal devils in fact!) and couple of other sweeties - but I did mention that in the body of my post :)

Roach - it is TOM for me, so could that be it? If so, should I eat more or ignore the pangs??

And I don't bother buying low fat versions of things. If I'm going to eat it I may as well just eat it, if it's in the house I might eat a low-fat version, but again, that's not typical for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You have quite a lot of high calorie but non-filling food/drinks. Go through your diary, see what is adding a lot of calories but not much satiation, and just swap it for something that does fill you up.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    You can see my diary, so we can see whether it is typical or not. As I say in the post, it's not a typical day for yesterday - as I had a doughnut (my personal devils in fact!) and couple of other sweeties - but I did mention that in the body of my post :)

Roach - it is TOM for me, so could that be it? If so, should I eat more or ignore the pangs??

And I don't bother buying low fat versions of things. If I'm going to eat it I may as well just eat it, if it's in the house I might eat a low-fat version, but again, that's not typical for me.

Well, I try not to eat more than I normally do but end up doing it anyways. Just make sure to drink LOTS of water so you dont scare yourself with water weigh that is (usually) inevitable with eating more than usual
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    You have quite a lot of high calorie but non-filling food/drinks. Go through your diary, see what is adding a lot of calories but not much satiation, and just swap it for something that does fill you up.

Ta, I think if anything I'm learning more and more that the nice things I used to eat all of the time just aren't worth the calories!

Looking through my diary also I seem to eat lots of salad/fruit and bread type things. All quick release energy isn't it? Hmmmm.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    Oh, and when I was talking about the fat I meant the "i can't believe it's not butter".

I'm not exactly sure what that stuff is made of but most "fake" butters are full of trans fat which is something people debate on as to if it even counts as food.

Real butter's better for you. Plus you can leave it out.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Well, I try not to eat more than I normally do but end up doing it anyways. Just make sure to drink LOTS of water so you dont scare yourself with water weigh that is (usually) inevitable with eating more than usual

Ugh, tell me about it - I usually gain up to 5Ibs from water weight. But I always know it's coming, so I just pay it no mind - it drops off after anyway xD Got the last 1Ib of water weight waiting to come off today!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Oh, and when I was talking about the fat I meant the "i can't believe it's not butter".

I'm not exactly sure what that stuff is made of but most "fake" butters are full of trans fat which is something people debate on as to if it even counts as food.

Real butter's better for you. Plus you can leave it out.

Ah, I would normally eat butter actually but we live in a bloody ice-tomb at the moment so having to make do with easy spread things. I'm aware of the arguments around marg spreads - in fact I've taught about em, but I'm also making the decision to use them - so it is an educated decision to do so.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and noticed you don't track sugar? A lot of your food contains sugar. If you usually eat more than what's in your diary and it's the same sorts of foods (high in sugar) perhaps the pangs of hunger are really just sugar withdrawals (assuming you're eating less sugar than usually?)

I would try to cut the sugary treats to once a day (I like mine for dessert!) and try eating cleaner foods. Cleaner food can be lean meats, vegetables, brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc.

If you're hungry have healthy fats rather than sugary treats like carrot and hommus/avocado, a boiled egg, ricotta/cottage/cheese on rice cakes, handful of almonds, cup of popcorn with a little butter with a cup of tea or glass of water.

I find when I'm hungry and craving sweets a healthy fat will fill me up and curb the sugar craving!

Hope this helps!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and noticed you don't track sugar? A lot of your food contains sugar. If you usually eat more than what's in your diary and it's the same sorts of foods (high in sugar) perhaps the pangs of hunger are really just sugar withdrawals (assuming you're eating less sugar than usually?)

I would try to cut the sugary treats to once a day (I like mine for dessert!) and try eating cleaner foods. Cleaner food can be lean meats, vegetables, brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc.

If you're hungry have healthy fats rather than sugary treats like carrot and hommus/avocado, a boiled egg, ricotta/cottage/cheese on rice cakes, handful of almonds, cup of popcorn with a little butter with a cup of tea or glass of water.

I find when I'm hungry and craving sweets a healthy fat will fill me up and curb the sugar craving!

Hope this helps!

Heya, I tracked sugar for quite a while when i first joined the site actually. But after a few weeks and several consultations with my friends/topic boards I decided to stop tracking sugars. The sugar total MFP gives you can be met with two pieces of fruit, and given I'm replacing doughnuts/crisps/chocolate with fruit (and then hopefully down again to stop snacking) I decided that I'd be better investing my time tracking something else - fibre for me is important :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ta, I think if anything I'm learning more and more that the nice things I used to eat all of the time just aren't worth the calories!

Looking through my diary also I seem to eat lots of salad/fruit and bread type things. All quick release energy isn't it? Hmmmm.

Don't worry about the whole energy release concept - just go with what YOU find filling - everyone is different in this regard. If fruit is filling - eat that, if you find pasta filling eat that. The things to worry about, if it were me, would be the Lucozade, sweets, ovaltine etc. I am not saying you should not have them at all - just that they are probably not as filling for the calories as say a salad or a bowl of pasta.
  • ljbhill
    Options
    When are the 'pangs' happening? What time of the day?

You're right about sugar in fruit but it also depends on which fruits you choose to eat. I've reserached a lot into this and from what I've read sugar is sugar whether is comes from fruit or not. The body processes it all the same way.

Fibre is really important to me too and I track that as well. You'd be surprised how much is in vegetables. I don't find it difficult reaching my quota on a normal day and am often over my goal (except weekends when I eat my more naughty foods!)

For me, the big difference was reducing my high intake of carbs and sugar. I still eat them but in moderation.

Everyone's different though :smile:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Don't worry about the whole energy release concept - just go with what YOU find filling - everyone is different in this regard. If fruit is filling - eat that, if you find pasta filling eat that. The things to worry about, if it were me, would be the Lucozade, sweets, ovaltine etc. I am not saying you should not have them at all - just that they are probably not as filling for the calories as say a salad or a bowl of pasta.

*blushes* you caught me out on the lucozade.....I've cut out all pepsi/cola/fizzy but I had a couple of days of weakness with it.....just so fizzy. lol.

I thought ovaltine had a lot of nutrients in it though? That's actually the only reason I drink it - thought it was a good use of 200 calories to get the RDA of certain micro-nutrients?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    When are the 'pangs' happening? What time of the day?

You're right about sugar in fruit but it also depends on which fruits you choose to eat. I've reserached a lot into this and from what I've read sugar is sugar whether is comes from fruit or not. The body processes it all the same way.

For me, the big difference was reducing my high intake of carbs and sugar. I still eat them but in moderation.

Everyone's different though :smile:

You are quite right, sugar IS sugar wherever it comes from - but refined sugar would jus be classed as empty calories, whereas with a piece of fruit you get good stuff in there too. Additionally the structure of the sugar in fruit is different from that of refined sugar, making it more useful. Fructose VS sucrose.

I get them all day this week, i've been like a walking dustbin :( They have been worst in the evenings.....any ideas?

Also I think you're right on the carbs front.....I have noticed a lack of "satiation" when I have a day higher in carbs than one where I'm eating fattier foods.....but how do you go from high carb to a moderate carb diet? Think it's time to go find google - my old buddy!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

*blushes* you caught me out on the lucozade.....I've cut out all pepsi/cola/fizzy but I had a couple of days of weakness with it.....just so fizzy. lol.

I thought ovaltine had a lot of nutrients in it though? That's actually the only reason I drink it - thought it was a good use of 200 calories to get the RDA of certain micro-nutrients?

Its mainly got Vitamin A and C. You can get more Vitamin A and C from carrots or leafy vegetables.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Protein! I have a yoghurt at night if I can't sleep because of hunger. Throw in a few brazil nuts or banana if you wish.

Before your dinner try eating a stick of celery, two carrots and an apple. Lots of fibre. Then have your dinner. That is what I do sometimes. It's not easy but it stopped my hunger :wink:
  • ljbhill
    Options
    Totally agree about the satiation between a teaspoon of sugar or an apple but what surprised me most, was how it's almost hidden in EVERYTHING! I still eat fruit almost daily but now I eat I make fruit choices that I know are lower in sugar (e.g. an apple 23g of sugar while a punnet of strawberries is around 10g).

I used to be a carb fiend which saw my weight balloon. I lived for carbs! It was really rough going at first to adjust my attitude and idea of what my meal should consist of less simple carbs and packaged foods more healthy fats found in protein, olive oil, avocado etc... I'm a little more flexible these days as I'm just maintaining but when I was losing, I would swap pasta/rice for vegetables at dinner time most nights. I wouldn't eat rice/pasta/potato after 4pm. It was hard coming up with meal ideas at first but now's it's second nature and when I do eat them at dinner these days, I feel so bloated and full! I never thought I would say this... but I no longer am a carb maniac :laugh:

Oh... and also when I started MFP I was constantly hungry (mostly at night too) because my serves of curry and rice, spag bol, stew and rice etc were so small compared to what I was used to (and I eat early and go to bed late) but when I took the simple carbs out of my dinner, I could eat so much more food!

If you need some meal ideas, just ask =)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options

Its mainly got Vitamin A and C. You can get more Vitamin A and C from carrots or leafy vegetables.
    [/quote]

Ah right, thanks! I like a few carrots too ;)