Running??

Options
I have wanted to become a runner for a long time, but it's just never happened. I have about 15 pounds to lose, but I wouldn't say I'm overweight, just want to get back to the weight I was before I started living with a 6'2" string bean that eats anything and everything :grumble: although I love him :heart:

I would really like to start running and getting good at it. The area I live has a decent amount of hills. I know that it takes time to work up to being able to go out for a 2, 3 or 4 mile run. However, I feel that if I start doing what it takes to be a runner, I won't be burning enough calories because I can't run very far/for very long... yet:blushing: . I'm thinking maybe I'll alternate and do my regular workout (elliptical) one day and run the next until I become a decent enough runner to feel like I'm actually in the ballpark of burning the amount of calories I'd like to.

Just wondering what others have done to start running. As I said, I don't think I'm horribly out of shape, I'm athletic, just have never been a real good runner. Anyone have any words of wisdom, or care to share what worked for you? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the couch to 5K. I really like that it takes you slow and eventually I will be able to run a 5K. :-)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml scroll down the page and you will see the workouts for each week. Good luck to you!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do too much too soon......common mistake and can lead to injuries.

couch to 5k is a great way to get started. The plan encourages only 3 days per week of running and over the course of 9 weeks the plan is designed to take you from the couch to running a 5k in 30 minutes, or at least be able to run for 30 minutes!

Good luck!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I used to run a lot and now getting back into it.

I started again this time with intervals of running and walking. Start with like 30 second of running and 90 seconds of walking to get your heart rate down. Alternate that for your desired amount of time/distance. As time goes on (and only when you feel ready) change your interval time (for example 60 second running, 60 seconds walking)

This is a good way to start.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the couch to 5K. I really like that it takes you slow and eventually I will be able to run a 5K. :-)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml scroll down the page and you will see the workouts for each week. Good luck to you!
    Me too - on week 8 - love this program:love:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Don't try to do too much too soon......common mistake and can lead to injuries.

couch to 5k is a great way to get started. The plan encourages only 3 days per week of running and over the course of 9 weeks the plan is designed to take you from the couch to running a 5k in 30 minutes, or at least be able to run for 30 minutes!

Good luck!

So do you think doing the elliptical for 35 minutes or so on the "off" days from Couch to 5k would qualify as too much?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot and now getting back into it.

I started again this time with intervals of running and walking. Start with like 30 second of running and 90 seconds of walking to get your heart rate down. Alternate that for your desired amount of time/distance. As time goes on (and only when you feel ready) change your interval time (for example 60 second running, 60 seconds walking)

This is a good way to start.
    This is how Couch to 5k starts you!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

Me too - on week 8 - love this program:love:

Me too!!! I'm on week 8 too!!!

Hey, if you want to do it, then do it :smile: Just take it easy in the beginning (that's my problem, always wanting to do too much too fast).

I am getting an elliptical at the end of the month. I plan on using it in between my runs or when I can't go outside. I don't consider it too much.

However....listen to your body. There are days when I knew I was way too sore to workout...don't forget those precious rest days in between to give your body a chance to heal.

Good luck!!! Come join us at the MFP runners club. There's lots of good people over there with plenty of advice to keep you motivated!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5K program too. I also added yoga into the same days that I ran, which also increased the number of calories I burned.

Days off from running I did step aerobics and weight training. I don't see why not do elyptical if you are up to it. Just make sure you have enough energy to run the next running day.

Good Luck.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I actually started running a while ago, and I found that intervals worked best for me. I like working on a track to get started. When I very first started I would do something like this:
    * walk a lap to warm up
    * run a half of a lap
    * walk a half lap
    etc.

Now I will still warm up with a lap, but then I will run a mile, walk two laps, run a mile, and walk a cool down lap.

If you don't like running on a track, you could use your Ipod and just walk a song, run a song, walk a song, run a song.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just started Couch to 5K also. I love the podcasts since it tells you when to run and when to walk. Much easier and more motivating then looking at my stop watch.
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    Your post sounds like me in every way. I have always wanted to start running, not over weight, but i want to lose about 15lbs, and my husband is in great shape and eats EVERYTHING! I just started the couch to 5k yesterday. So many people recommended it, and when i read it it sounded about right for a beginner like me. A great way to get started. We can do it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    hey, could you post a link for the podcasts. Im not super internet savy, and havn't found those, but love the c25k program. thx:happy:
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    Here is the link -

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

Good luck and have fun!!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    thanks everyone- sounds good :happy:
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    It sounds like your real question is in regards to the number of calories you're burning, and I wanted to point out that if you're not a good runner to start (I just started running about 3 weeks ago myself so am in the same boat!) you will actually burn more calories than you will doing something you are good at/do frequently (like the elliptical), even if you aren't going far/fast. It has to do with the muscles that you use for particular exercises, and the fact that you are using muscles that normally don't get used. Make sense??

I could only run for a minute straight when I started (up to 6 minutes now, woohoo!) and I only go for 40 minutes total, but could barely walk when I was finished due to using "new" muscles. It's very motivating to increase distance and stamina with each run!
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started a running program but am still in the paced walking phase, anyway I only do it 3 times per week, to let the my body recover and on alternate days I do squad swimming. I used to run and will again but I have a long way back! Ive read that recovery is key when you are starting out and you should take a day off. I do swimming but you could do boxing, or rowing, eliptical might be ok because it is less impact but I prfer to stay off my feet on off days, and it has really healped with the shin splints. well rambled on enough, hope you find something that works for you.:happy:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    In January I started at 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 8 minutes then kept going. Now I am up to 60 minutes. I have run a 5K and will be running a 1/2 marathon in the fall. It is totally possible for you to become a runner. I love the runners club section on here--its motivating to read how others are doing and knowing that I get to put my run up there too. Join us!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    In January I started at 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 8 minutes then kept going. Now I am up to 60 minutes. I have run a 5K and will be running a 1/2 marathon in the fall. It is totally possible for you to become a runner. I love the runners club section on here--its motivating to read how others are doing and knowing that I get to put my run up there too. Join us!

That's AMAZING:love: You are my inspiration! There is something about running that is SO intimidating and almost scary to me :ohwell:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    By the way... I was looking for 5k's in the area, in order to set a goal for myself. Look what I found!! :love:

ICE CREAM RUN 5K

SUNDAY AUGUST 2ND, 2009 - 8:30 AM

ICE CREAM CONES FOR ALL RUNNERS AFTER THE RACE