HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) advice

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been looking HIIT and im thinking of giving it a go. I am not very fit but have been doing some pilates for the past few weeks to try and strengthen and tone up. Has anyone tried this type of training and what are your opinions? Also can anyone give me a bit of advice on a HIIT program I can do at home? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    I think Jillians Michaels 30shred is HIIT. But don't quote me. I've been doing her dvd and it's 3min of cardio, 2min strength, 1 min abs. I'm still at the beginning stages of working out. I've been doing Insanity too. I've slacked off the last 3wks bc my feet were killing me (I had to get new shoes) now that I have my HRM and new shoes, I feel better and going back to working out 5-6 days a week.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a great way to burn fat faster than steady paced cardio, I have a session tomorrow morning lined up actually. heres the deal with it, everyone associates it immediatly with running which is fine but HIIT can be performed in any form of cardio workout you like, swimming, bike, run, hell you could bear crawl HIIT if you want to the thing is you have to go into with with a strong mind that no this will not be easy and no you cannot quit.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender has a beginner HIIT routine you can try: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Body-Firming-HIIT-Workout-for-Beginners-Beginner-HIIT-Home-Workout-Routine/a5/ If it's too easy or you grow beyond it, they also have more advanced routines. All of their workouts are free. Just have your own music, because there is no background music, just clear instructions and form pointers. I like to use the Pandora workout stations with these.

For about a month I alternated HIIT with Pilates. I liked it and had good results, but I got to a place where I felt I needed to add more weights to get where I wanted. I think the HIIT workouts did help me with my cardio capacity, and I still do them.
  • siliisobel
    Options
    HIIT is a great way to burn fat faster than steady paced cardio, I have a session tomorrow morning lined up actually. heres the deal with it, everyone associates it immediatly with running which is fine but HIIT can be performed in any form of cardio workout you like, swimming, bike, run, hell you could bear crawl HIIT if you want to the thing is you have to go into with with a strong mind that no this will not be easy and no you cannot quit.

Yeah from what I have been reading it looks tough but im kinda looking forward to the challenge :-) I just need something I can do at home, ie not running or biking etc as im home a lot with my 2 kids and work as well so I dont get a lot of free time to get out of the house.
  • siliisobel
    Options
    Fitness blender has a beginner HIIT routine you can try: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Body-Firming-HIIT-Workout-for-Beginners-Beginner-HIIT-Home-Workout-Routine/a5/ If it's too easy or you grow beyond it, they also have more advanced routines. All of their workouts are free. Just have your own music, because there is no background music, just clear instructions and form pointers. I like to use the Pandora workout stations with these.

For about a month I alternated HIIT with Pilates. I liked it and had good results, but I got to a place where I felt I needed to add more weights to get where I wanted. I think the HIIT workouts did help me with my cardio capacity, and I still do them.

Thanks very much for the link, thats just the kind of thing I have been looking for. I dont think it will be too easy for me, it was making me tired just watching it lol! Its a great starting point though, thank you!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunflowertimes
    sunflowertimes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire has some great hit workouts and they are fun! I love them.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do sort of a homemade HIIT program.

On the treadmill, after I run normally for a while, I slow down and walk for a couple minutes, and then crank it up to push my HR to the top of my zone for a couple minutes, followed by another walk, and then another couple minutes of maxing it out.

On the stationary bike, I do the same thing... I crank up the tension for 30-45 to get my HR up and then release the tension for 45-60 seconds to let me HR recover partially.

If I'm doing strength training, I try to alternate low intensity exercises with high intensity.

I'm not sure how it would weigh in with "real" HIIT training, but I like that it breaks up the monotony and helps to increase stamina.