How 2 calibrate Polar FT4 & Training HR Zones & Effects

Options
My Max HR for my age on the FT4 is 175, 45 years old. This is automatic you can't change this.

But in real life my Max HR is 195, so I changed this in user setting on the FT4.

WARM UP 50%-60% OF YOUR MAX HEART RATE.
Warm up and cool down before and after exercise in these zones, least intense.

FAT BURN 60%-70% OF MAX HEART RATE.
Stay in this zone if your goal is to lose weight.
Your body is fueled by 10% Carbohydrates, 5% Protein 85% Fat.
The actual number of calories burned per minute will be less than in higher zones,but you will be able to maintain exercise for longer periods.

CARDIO 70%-80% OF YOUR MAX HEART RATE.
Also called the Aerobic Zone.
In this zone you'll get the greatest health benefits overall.
Your heart and lung capacity will increase and your overall fitness will also increase, so you will be able to exercise for longer.
Your body will get 50% of your calories from fat, 50% from carbohydrates and protein burn will be minimal.

EXTREME 80%-90% OF MAX HEART RATE.
Also called the Anaerobic Zone.
This is a highly intense exercise and should be limited to no more than 10-20 minutes.
Your body's ability to consume oxygen will increase.
If you push it too hard your body will start to produce lactic acid.
Your body will burn 85% Carbohydrates, 15% fat and minimal percentage of protein.

MAX 90%-100% OF YOUR MAX HEART RATE.
You are pushing your heart to the limits here and should consult your doctor to check if you can exercise in this zone safely.

From my own experience I never consulted a doctor about my exercise. But I do have high blood pressure and was told basically not to exercise, which to me seems dumb. Because exercise helps lower blood pressure long term. But you have to make your own decisions.

I was also told at the gym I can only use the cardio equipment and not the weight studio.

I ignored the doctor and gym instructor and dropped my blood pressure. I'm not saying it's right for you, just showing my example.

There are video's out there by doctors that encourage exercise even if it's only walking to lower blood pressure and improve a whole lot of health issues and prevent health problems in future.

Replies

• NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    Oooooh ok. I'm 33 and my ft4 says my zone is 122 - 159. When I go over 160 my watch starts to chime away.
  • BlueBaron37
    BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Those zones can be changed in settings. Tomorrow I'm going to set my zone up for FAT BURN zone for the first hour and use the bike horizonal bike. Then for the next 30 mins I go on tread mill and go to Extreme Zone. If I have any energy left I go and do 15 mins in the weight room.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can manually reset your heart rate zones on the FT4 by going to the settings.

Under User Settings, you can change your max heart rate, and under Training Settings you can set your zone limits.

The defaults were too low for me, as well, so I had to go in and change what the defaults were.
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    You can manually reset your heart rate zones on the FT4 by going to the settings.

Under User Settings, you can change your max heart rate, and under Training Settings you can set your zone limits.

The defaults were too low for me, as well, so I had to go in and change what the defaults were.

Oh yes I found that, I'm new to FT4 had it a few days and this was the soultion to working out why my HR was set to 175 thanks.
  • NekaLee
    Options
    Oh ok, thank you guys. I have my watch in front of me so I'll change it now. When I did the calculations it says my max is 187. So should I change it to that? And what should I put for my zone?
  • BlueBaron37
    Options
    Oh ok, thank you guys. I have my watch in front of me so I'll change it now. When I did the calculations it says my max is 187. So should I change it to that? And what should I put for my zone?

Keep your age the same just change your max heart rate to what you know it is through training. You can leave the zone of set to the zone you want from the list I put on here. I set mine to fat burn for tomorrow at gym.
  • NekaLee
    Options
    Thank you Blue :)
  • russellma
    Options

That's what should show up under that max heartrate (in user settings).

For your zone, generally it's recommended to use 60-80% of your max heartrate, so you can just move it until the percentages show to be correct under the "training settings".

*If* your health allows, you can go above that for part of your workout to increase your stamina. You just don't want to go over your max heartrate! :)
  • NekaLee
    Options
    :) thank you Russell!!! I fixed it. I kept the zone they way it is and up my max heart rate. I didn't know I could do that. *snickering* So I don't have to worry too much when I go pass my zone, just be careful with my max, correct?
  • russellma
    Options
    :) thank you Russell!!! I fixed it. I kept the zone they way it is and up my max heart rate. I didn't know I could do that. *snickering* So I don't have to worry too much when I go pass my zone, just be careful with my max, correct?

Yes, from what I've read, it's okay to go up to about 90% for part of your workout (if your health allows).
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • girley01
    girley01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. Saved me! I had no idea why I was always "out of zone" even if my HR was above the max.