Vegan, 1300 calories per day, and slow weight loss-HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Without getting too personal or gross... If you have increased your fiber intake more then what your body is accustomed too, it could be that you are... Full of poo, seriously I just learned this in my dietary clinical nutrition class. It makes you feel bloated, ill, tired, Sometimes nauseous. So, if you haven't gone recently or if you've noticed a change in your frequency you may want to consider limiting your fiber intake for a while until your GI tract can speed up, and then slowly add more back in.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your food diary...and I also say ditch the soy! You might want to get tested for food allergies other than dairy as well. 99% of soy is genetically modified, and it also has one of the highest contamination by pesticides of any of our foods. Soymilk and the soy protein isolate that's in many foods are over processed and very difficult to digest. I believe that clean, organic simple soy foods can be healthy, hey, it's worked for the Okinawan Japanese (he longest living people in the world) for thousands of years, but most of what's available to us in a package is not healthy. I agree that vegans need to mix it up, be creative about your protein sources! PREPARE your own food, get your hands dirty...a great cookbook for really tasty and interesting vegan and mostly raw food is: http://veganfusion.com/best-rated-vegan-vegetarian-raw-food-cookbooks/vegan-fusion-world-cuisine/ their Blossoming Lotus restaurant here in Portland is my favorite...I have a hard time going less than twice a week! BTW, I am not vegan (just eat that way mostly) and am allergic to soy...and wheat and corn and dairy. Good luck and good eatin'!

P.S. Equal/aspartame sweetener is highly poisonous stuff, it is literally made of 3 different poisons; Phenalanine, Methanol, and Diketopierazine, proven to cause brain tumors, birth defects, brain cancer, diabetes, emotional disorders, epilepsy and if that wasn't enough to convince you to eliminate it, it also CONTRIBUTES TO OBESITY. It's true. I am getting my degree in holistic health and nutrition, and several chapters of coursework were dedicated to the dangers of Aspartame.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hi again.

It is interesting that the B-12 was brought up because I went to the doctor this week, due to ongoing fatigue and just not feeling well. I happened to mention that I was vegan now, but had been a vegetarian for several years. The doctor suggested an order of bloodwork, with a B-12 test included. The low end of normal is 239 and the high end is 900. Mine was 245. The doctor said come in for a few more tests to see if you are actually deficient. Doing that tomorrow actually. I was surprised because I thought that prior to going vegan, I was doing enough...maybe not.

According to that book I mentioned- B12 deficiency is frequently underdiagnosed and people with 250-450 may have a deficiency that needs more testing. Also, get this- I don't remember the exact details but there is some compound specifically in soy or soy digestion that mimics B-12 on blood tests, so people who consume a lot of soy get falsely high B-12 readings. So not only are vegetarians and vegans at risk, but soy messes up the tests. People think its only vegans and vegetarians are fine (thats what I thought!) but long term vegetarians have almost the same risk as vegans. (I'm almost 20 yrs). Some other risk groups are:
    people who take a lot of antacids
    people who have had bariatric surgery
    people with history of alcoholism
    people with crohns or celiac disease
    people with thyroid problems (me!)

I apologize- I'm not like a B-12 evangelist, I just went through a lot to get to feeling better and feel the need to share it with everyone. Wait, I am a B-12 evangelist.