I weigh every day :/

Options
Anyone else? How do I stop? It's not healthy, it drives me nuts. I'm so obsessed over the number on the scale :(

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I weigh (and record) every day too, and there's nothing unhealthy about it.

It's the obsessing part that's a problem. :smile: For me, I know there will be fluctuations of several pounds, and accept that. I just keep logging my morning weight, and am happy to see a new low once in a while.

Keep in mind that the short term fluctuations are just water; your body retains different amounts based on how much water you drink (more is better), how much sodium was in the food you ate (less is better, but you can drink even more water to make up for higher than usual sodium), how much strenuous exercise you did, menstrual cycle, and who knows what else. At some point, your level of water retention will go down again, and you'll get a peek at how much of your weight from fat / muscle has come off.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

It's the obsessing part that's a problem. :smile: For me, I know there will be fluctuations of several pounds, and accept that. I just keep logging my morning weight, and am happy to see a new low once in a while.

Keep in mind that the short term fluctuations are just water; your body retains different amounts based on how much water you drink (more is better), how much sodium was in the food you ate (less is better, but you can drink even more water to make up for higher than usual sodium), how much strenuous exercise you did, menstrual cycle, and who knows what else. At some point, your level of water retention will go down again, and you'll get a peek at how much of your weight from fat / muscle has come off.

"It's the obsessing part that's a problem"

Very true....
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I find myself in that predicament. Maybe you should set a mini goal- not to weigh in for a week. Or if you're like me, you probably couldn't last 7 whole days, so maybe don't weigh in for 5 days. Once you hit that goal, choose something to reward yourself with (not food), and do it again! It'll feel so much better because you'll actually see more of a significant decrease, without all the up and down let downs of weighing yourself daily.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do too; it keeps me honest and focused. Understanding my weekly variability is helping me to accept what I need to do in order to keep the weight off.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is jus that...a number....meaningless, really in terms of weight loss...there are so many variables...measurements, reflection in mirror, fit of clothes, etc... are a much better, and less obsessive way of seeing results.

Get rid of your scale for a week n see how it goes.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I got rid in my scale at home because I was obsessed....Now I only weigh in at the gym and my gym has several locations and i only like weighing in at like 2 of them that have scales in the locker room. It makes me motivated to get up before I eat breakfast and go to the gym certain days to weigh in and then work off someweight before I eat
  • kerribiel
    Options
    Dont weigh everyday...It is a disappointment when the scale starts going up and down...weigh once a week....then you know if you mess up one day you can fix it the next
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also step on the scale every day, but I only record usually 1x per week. I use it as motivation and to gauge how I need to eat that day. If it is up, I must be extra careful about my sodium and water consumption. If it doesn't move in the right direction for days, I know I need to up my exercise or cut out some of the treats. Don't obsess. It is just a tool.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    I weigh myself every day - and those days where I hit a new low start off SOOO happy! But the true measurement is when my clothes get loose and people notice. I might be a little obsessed, but if eating healthy foods and caring for my body is what it's about - who cares? Good luck all!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options

I weigh in every day too, and it's bad because I do obsess. But I think if you can do the above, write it down, and move on - it becomes ok. Just know there can be up to a 5lb fluctuation, and you should look week to week or month to month.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning too. I don't think it's the weighing yourself everyday that's bad.. it's the obsessing over the number part. I know I obsess over it way too much.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Some people are capable of weighing every day and not letting what they see rule their day. But it is hard for a lot of people.

Most weight loss programs (including MFP) recommend that you only weigh in once a week. An idea might be to set aside a specific day and time each week where you step on the scale, and ONLY then.

You can also try focusing on measuring tape or other non-weight related goals, like how many calories you burn or how many minutes you can run without stopping.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weight myself pretty much every day but don't think I obsess too much. I know it'll fluctuate slightly so 1lb here or there isn't an issue. I've never been regular with my TOM so watching my weight helps me understand my body better as I can be fairly sure if I'm in the right time of the month and I suddenly gain 2or 3 lb overnight chances are I'll have a visit from Aunt Flo in the next 2 days! You just have to remember a scale - like everything else is just a tool. I tend to be more impatient with the tape measure, lol.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am the same and i NEED to stop!
  • sarah2954
    Options
    I should probably cut back in increments. Maybe every other day, every three days... I'll tell myself when I go to bed, "Ok, we're waiting until Friday to weigh" but then I get up and weigh anyway! Ugh.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is not for everyone. I weigh every morning, but only record it once a week. For me, it's helpful because I am able to get a grasp of how daily habits and events affect my weight; I can also better determine what is water weight and what is more problematic fat gain and react more quickly than if it took me several weeks to notice a trend.

That said, it doesn't sound like you're thinking of it that way. If you put a lot of meaning into those numbers, stop weighing every day; you're not being realistic and you'll make yourself crazy.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. I don't record those but it keeps me focused on what I am trying to accomplish.

Everyones weight will fluctuate throughout the day so I don't freak out over the numbers - just observe what's going on.

I don't think that's a real issue unless there is significant anxiety related to the daily weigh-ins.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day and log it on this website: https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet/

It helps you track any trend in your weight gain/loss and you can list anything going on in your life that may be making the numbers go up or down, such as TOM, high sodium intake etc.
  • leez1984
    leez1984 Posts: 22
    Options
    I weigh every day to keep an eye on my menstrual cycle primarily (I know I'm due on if my weight shoots up a couple of pounds a day for 2 or 3 days for example). I have a weigh in app on my phone, and log my weight on that daily, noting down body fat and water composition too - the app can build a chart from whatever specifications you give it, I have it set to chart from a weekly average, so as long as that line keeps steady or goes down, I know I'm on the right track :)
  • sarah2954
    Options
    Weighing daily is not for everyone. I weigh every morning, but only record it once a week. For me, it's helpful because I am able to get a grasp of how daily habits and events affect my weight; I can also better determine what is water weight and what is more problematic fat gain and react more quickly than if it took me several weeks to notice a trend.

That said, it doesn't sound like you're thinking of it that way. If you put a lot of meaning into those numbers, stop weighing every day; you're not being realistic and you'll make yourself crazy.

You're right. I do need to stop weighing every day, just once every five or seven days. And I obviously have will power, so I should be able to avoid the scale! I use my wii, so I can ask my fiance to hide the remotes :P

BTW - I love your ticker. Looks like your cat is trying to catch the fish :)