Quick, fast & HEALTHY foods?

Options
I work nights, from 8pm-8am. 12 hour shifts with nothing to do leave LOTS of time to be bored and hungry. I try to just drink water when I'm not hungry and have had success so far in not over-snacking, but there are times when I am starved and need something quick to put together that's still nutritious.

Lately I've been snacking on Total cereal & skim milk with bananas, but can anyone suggest ideas of foods I can bring to work witih me?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there ANY menu items from fast food places that are decent for you? (My guilty pleasure, I'd like to keep something in mind next time if I just can't resist.)

Replies

• lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Little tuna cups and wheat thins. Walnuts, dried cranberries, and a tiny bit of mini chocolate chips.
    Oh! Almost forgot hummus.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    Bring sandwiches, salad, any normal to-go meals that people bring for lunches. For filling I would do fruit and veggies myself, I love apples to fill me up. If you need to pass the time maybe foods that take a long time to eat like spits, pistachios, pomegranates, crackers/cheese/pickles/meat, and dips as mentioned earlier. Also here is a great fast food article on the best choices in major chains. good luck!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1193
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    kashi go lean cereal in yogert. I tend to do about a 1/2 cup of cereal (70 calories, 6.5g protein) and I love greek yogert. You can really manipulate the calories by doing a light and fit yogert since the greek yogert is about 100-140 calories, but the greek yogert is so thick and creamy. I also add Cinnamon sometimes to add some more flavor.

if you splurge and go to McDonalds, the snack wraps are 260-270 calories if you get the grilled chicken and not crispy. the fruit and yogert parfait is 160 calories. Most chains like that have the nutrition info online. I found the mcdonals one at http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf.

good luck! I have the same issue, but today was a busy day and I've only eaten about half my calories for the day. try to find a good book or something to keep you occupied if you can read it at work so you're not eating out of boredom.