Who's lost HEIGHT?

Options
2»

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ok...the height thing is weird. I'm 44. Always thought of myself as 5' 5.25". Went into the doctor a couple weeks ago and measured 5' 4.75". WHAT? How did that happen? Am I already at the shrinking age?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Gravity is a beach, not sure if I can use the other word. Used to be 6 feet, now 5'11. Still tall enough for standing room only concerts.
    Speaking of which yesterday saw the Beach Boys at Jazz Fest here, their tour opening date. If you are so inclined, go see them if they come to a city near you. Based on the ages of the performers, now average 70, might not be too many more tours. 50 years of a rock and roll band is pretty special. No other has lasted longer. I think the Stones might have a shot at it too, but that's it. Sorry for the off topic. Have a musical day.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this, and as a 5'0" tall person, it kind of freaks me out (oh, how I do not want to be in the 4' range)!

I do know that the opposite can happen though. My boyfriend has had terrible sciatica for years (which is rather unusual for someone who's only turning 26 tomorrow). He was 6'4" but had a significant swayback; since he's started strengthening his core muscles, the sciatica pain has disappeared and he's up to 6'6"! I'm eye level with nipples now! :laugh:
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to believe there would be 3/4" 'fat pads' on the bottom of your feet. That seems like so much!. I wonder if just tightening up the muscles everywhere maybe 'compresses' everything? Similar to the back injury but in a good way?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ive gone down like 1/2 shoe size but not any height thankfully
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've always measured 5'7" or 5'6 3/4" but when I went to the doctor a few weeks ago I was 5'6" even. I just figure it was because it was a new doctor, new measuring, but maybe I really have shrunk?
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    gone down a shoe size... height loss would make sense, since there is ample fat stored in feet... I will measure myself, i probably have too!!!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Well I have, but not because of weight loss, age I guess and low bodyfat no padding in the feet or head .. My sister nad I use to be the same height now she is 1 inch taller, but she weighs 40 -50 lbs more than me so I believe fat can add a little height and shoe size.. Anyway that is my story and I sticking with it.
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 so loosing heigh would be awful! I've only lost weight so far but my shoes and bras are still the same. Hopefully that doesn't change since it's a lot of money to buy new ones.
  • eryka86
    eryka86 Posts: 80
    Options
    Now that you mention it....some of my shoes slide out when i walk i thought it was nothing but i guess my big feet are shrinking lol
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    Wow I always knew you lost weight in your feet, but height wow. I am 5'4 and really hope I stay that way, lol. But good for you all that weight your losing.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My feet have also gotten smaller! I was always a 7-7.5 and now I'm a 6.5-7.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    My guess is that when your more muscular you hold your body togighter and when you stand up more your everything gets pushed down I think your tallest when you wake up because you have been streached out on a bed for hours.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    OK...So depending on who is measuring my height, I have been measured everything from 5'3" to 5'5. More consistantly I measure about 5'4.5" So, My license says 5'5" because they don't put "and a half" on licenses.

Go get your height done again...see if it is consistant or a one time measuring goof.

Then again, we have fat surrounding our heads. Last week people posted facial shots of weight loss and it was pretty dramatic how we seem to lose from top down...So maybe between feet and head...there was that much height lost?
    Honest, until today I didn't know shoe size changed with weight loss.

I LOVE everything I learn from y'all!

(oh, and YEAH...I gotta go bra shopping, but not yet time for new pants...grumble)
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    Also I think when your bigger your blood volume is up ? So more blood between your joints?
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think your tallest when you wake up because you have been streached out on a bed for hours.

I was going to say that too. I've heard that you can loose up to an inch through out the day thanks to gravity. So if you went to the doctor later in the day vs in the morning you can get different height measurements. But who knows, maybe weight loss can effect height too.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just checked... still hanging at 5'4" lol.
    I wish my feet would shrink a bit width wise.
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have had the opposite. When I had my yearly physical I was 5'6, I have been 5'5 1/2 my whole life. When I went to the bariatric doctor, I was 5'6 1/2. I made them measure me 3 times, they kept getting the same number. THen I had to go back to my weight loss doctor and they said 5'5 1/2. I told her to try it again, still the same. So I have no idea how tall I am now. They must all be different
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    At my last doctor's visit I was about 1/2 inch shorter and I have no idea why so it is very interesting to hear that other have had this experience too. I'll be curious to see what my measurement is the next time I go in. Maybe it was just one weird measurement or maybe i really am shorter.
  • Ingraham4
    Ingraham4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you mentioned the shrinking of the feet... I thought I was just a freak of nature! All of my shoes are literally falling off my feet. Just a darn shame that not only do I need a whole new wardrobe, but also a closet full of new shoes! lol! It's a GREAT "problem" to have isn't it?!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!