Stationary Bike Speeds?

Options
Does this sound correct?

Bicycling - 10-11.9 mph (light)
Bicycling - 12-13.9 mph (moderate)
Bicycling - 14-15.9 mph (vigorous)
Bicycling - 16-19 mph (very vigorous)

I am biking at over 28kms/17mph for 30 minutes every day and have been logging it in under 'vigorous'. I double checked today and found the above statistics, and I thought I would double check if they seem correct.
I would love to be logging it in as 'very vigorous' instead. It is a considerable amount more calories burned. Especially today since I had a small piece of chocolate cake at work and I don't know what the calories are for it and cannot locate it online. I logged a cake that was similar in the database, but it is just a guess.
Thanks.

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Probably been said before but get a HRM. I find it very difficult to tell how many calories I burn without it.
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If I could afford one, I would definitely have one. Unfortunately money is extremely tight so I have to do my best with the information that I find online.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Before I managed to get my HRM, I always played it safe. I tried to eat about half of my exercise calories on a regular basis, though sometimes I didn't eat any at all and sometimes I ate every last one. If I wasn't sure about how many calories I was burning (like when I started my workout DVD), I would log the lower amount so that if I ate them all, I wasn't risking over-eating. I think the most important thing is to be consistent in what you log. One day of the unknown chocolate cake won't kill you. It's our actions over time that make the biggest difference! :flowerforyou:

Hope at least something out of that made sense!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I also don't have a monitor (don't have the extra cash either) and do a lot of cycling in my living room when the weather is bad. I think your speeds seem fine. It also depends on your level. If you feel you're putting in a vigorous effort at 14-15mph, then you're probably fine. Keep riding!!! :smile: 226637.png
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Also, there are some great spinning videos you can get to keep you motivated. I have a Chris Carmichael time trial video (one of Lance Armstrong's trainers) and Spinervals are a great series. Very challenging! Great workout!!